Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who Still Uses A 100W Amplifer?

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
    100watts .... Shoot, last year I was rocking a 350w Marshall mode four amp!
    Yep, I finally backed away from the 300w JBL stack.

Comment

I might be getting one of the now-discontinued Satriani JVMs soon. I have a JVM combo that I love, but which has a few quirks and flaws that the Satch model solves. Unfortunately it does not exist in a 50W version.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
        I might be getting one of the now-discontinued Satriani JVMs soon. I have a JVM combo that I love, but which has a few quirks and flaws that the Satch model solves. Unfortunately it does not exist in a 50W version.
        Just pull the outer 2 power tubes of the 4 and you instantly have a 50w amp.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          Just pull the outer 2 power tubes of the 4 and you instantly have a 50w amp.
          The tubes will last me twice as long that way as well! (Nobody overdrives the power section in an amp like that, of course)

Comment

I still run my Decatone 100, even at churches. It sounds great and with the UA OX, I can run with or without a cabinet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DKSEARS View Post
              I still run my Decatone 100, even at churches. It sounds great and with the UA OX, I can run with or without a cabinet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Awesome. It's good to see that Satan is doing his part at Church services.... he was a bit unhinged for a while
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Awesome. It's good to see that Satan is doing his part at Church services.... he was a bit unhinged for a while

Comment

no 100w head any longer but still have a '69 dual showman reverb (twin reverb in a head) that i wont be getting rid of. only rated at 85w but through 4x12 you'd believe me if i told you it was 200w. the bottom end is massive

Comment

No more 100w heads for me either. Sold my Marshall and 2x12 several years ago. While I may miss the tone if it, my back doesn't...lol. I even sold a 50w combo I used for years to go lighter. Now it's a 30w combo that weighs about 26 lbs and can keep up with big amps easily. Shocked the hell out of me how loud it gets. And I love the tones I can get out of it.
                    Last edited by ErikH; 01-02-2020, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                      No more 100w heads for me either. Sold my Marshall and 2x12 several years ago. While I may miss the tone if it, my back doesn't...lol. I even sold a 50w combo I used for years to go lighter. Now it's a 30w combo that weighs about 23 lbs and can keep up with big amps easily. Shocked the hell out of me how loud it gets. And I love the tones I can get out of it.
                      Same program, lighter lighter,.... but I've owned a lot of 100W Marshall 2203 and 2210s (maybe 8 or 9 of them) and in my experience none of them were as good as the one 50W 2204 I had -and I use to A/B compare them in the studio all the time.

The amp that annoys me the most are the Fender and Mesa Twin Combos -at more than 60 lbs -and if you put wheels on them, you'l tear up the amp a lot faster with the sockets and solder joints taking direct impact shaking from cracks and bumps rolling the amp over. So you kind of have to carry them if you care about them. That's why a separate tube head from the speaker cab OR a lighter Combo makes sense for your back AND the amp life -or pushing a heavy combo arround in a really annoying ATA shock mount case -thats super heavy and inconvenient.
                      Last edited by NegativeEase; 01-02-2020, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Just cuz i own & play 100 watt amps doesn't mean i play them at every occasion Also doesn't mean they're getting any easier to lug around.
                        I usually bring the smallest rig for any situation i can get away with.
                        But there is no substitute for the roar of a Marshall 1/2 stack turned half way up.

Comment

Same program, lighter lighter,.... but I've owned a lot of 100W Marshall 2203 and 2210s (maybe 8 or 9 of them) and in my experience none of them were as good as the one 50W 2204 I had -and I use to A/B compare them in the studio all the time.

The amp that annoys me the most are the Fender and Mesa Twin Combos -at more than 60 lbs -and if you put wheels on them, you'l tear up the amp a lot faster with the sockets and solder joints taking direct impact shaking from cracks and bumps rolling the amp over. So you kind of have to carry them if you care about them. That's why a separate tube head from the speaker cab OR a lighter Combo makes sense for your back AND the amp life -or pushing a heavy combo arround in a really annoying ATA shock mount case -thats super heavy and inconvenient.
                          The heaviest amp head I ever owned was a first gen Peavey 5150. That thing was a beast and loud. Durable as hell though. As much as I may miss the Marshall (JCM900 2100 MkIII), selling it was the right thing to do. I hardly used it unless we played outdoors and when I left my last band, it just sat unused and we were starting to tackle debt so if I could get money for it, it got sold. It has a 100/50 switch but I usually ran it in 100w mode. JJ Tubes were the best in that thing. A solid amp.

My combo amp now is the Vox AV30. https://voxamps.com/product/av30/. The delay in it is awesome. The repeats get warmer as they fade out like a good old analog delay unit.

Comment

The heaviest amp I've ever owned was an H&K Triamp mk. I at 64lbs; it made the 48lb Jubilee 2555 seem light in comparison.

Like JMP/HBE I use the smallest rig I can get away with, usually the 2525H (22 lbs) & ported 1x12 (~20lbs).
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

My JVM210 is so beaten to hell the tolex is all ripped up and it's only gonna get worse cause I'll play that amp until I die. It still delivers the best tone I've ever heard , for any genre. It's not specifically because it's 100W but I just love the tone, although I like being able to get that loud when I need too. Feels like swinging a 10 ton sledgehammer when you play power chords at 100W cranked. Although I definitely love my newest amp, a Traynor 50 watt with about the most gorgeous distortion I've ever heard.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by BeKindRewind; 01-02-2020, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Honestly, I feel *most* 15-20W lunchbox amps are way overhyped. Every time I'd bring my EVH LBX 1 or 2 or my Krank Rev Jr. to a full-band jam, I've had problems. Are they loud enough? Yes. Are they good enough? Err... only if you don mind farty low-end and fuzzy poweramp overdrive.

I say *most* because I've obviously not tried every lunchbox amp out there.
                                Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-03-2020, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X