Who Still Uses A 100W Amplifer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who Still Uses A 100W Amplifer?

Putting a flat boost into a 15W amp is going to create problems with most of the amp designs in that region of power. With today’s music, you primary use a 15W amp for its inherently dirty/distorted qualities and for deliberate oversaturation at moderately loud rock band volumes. They aren’t the best “pedal platforms.” You want an inherently cleaner amp if you’re using drive pedals.

With amps that are run saturated, you [generally] want to use e.q.-based pedals to achieve your different stompable tones, not drive-based pedals. E.g. instead of a flat booster, you want a treble booster (which is basically just a pre-set, mid-anchored, upward-ramped e.q. – adds top end while cutting low end to reduce muddiness). And with these small amps, you get your added volume and girth by adding speakers, and/or using more efficient speakers, and/or miking, not by increasing the input to the amp or cranking the volume knob up more. Hit a lower wattage amp with more input, and you don’t get more volume. You just block up your low end and reduce clarity and cut-through.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 01-02-2020, 09:49 PM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
      Honestly, I feel *most* 15-20W lunchbox amps are way overhyped. Every time I'd bring my EVH LBX 1 or 2 or my Krank Rev Jr. to a full-band jam, I've have problems. Are they loud enough? Yes. Are they good enough? Err... only if you don mind farty low-end and fuzzy poweramp overdrive.

I say *most* because I've obviously not tried every lunchbox amp out there.
      I find this true for jams, block parties and small bars.

However, 20W has worked for me at larger bars and venues with a good PA and sound guy.

I still have 4 100W+ heads if needed, but I'm not actually planning to take them out again.
      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I have said this before, I'll say it again - there is no reason you NEED a 100 watt amp. That said - there are a lot of reasons you may choose to use one.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          I have said this before, I'll say it again - there is no reason you NEED a 100 watt amp. That said - there are a lot of reasons you may choose to use one.
          Yeah, like having enjoy low end chunk to rattle your cojones.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

The muscle car guys know there's no replacement for displacement. It's the same with amps.

I have played all kinds of different amps. From a Sears $59.99 open back 1x6" combo to a Peavey Rage 158 to a Marshall 1959 cranked through a 4x12.

Everything sounds how it should. There's a myth out there that a head/cab is too loud. It's not true.

The power bill goes up but so does my sonic satisfaction.

I jam with a guy who uses a lunch box amp and it sounds like ****. Like hot, stewing garbage. I use a studio dsl 2000 with 15 year old tubes and a marshall g12t75 4x12 which is nothing compared to my rig.
            Last edited by esandes; 01-02-2020, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              Damn, that's a great way to sum it up.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
                The muscle car guys know there's no replacement for displacement.
                I know you're just typing a simple retort into an oversimplification, but really, I must remind you, just like the amp argument -this is not actually correct.

Weight, Aerodynamics, and the ability to effectively transfer the power produced from the displacement to the wheels can all replace increased displacement to improve performance.

amongst several other factors I could list
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
                  My JVM210 is so beaten to hell the tolex is all ripped up and it's only gonna get worse cause I'll play that amp until I die. It still delivers the best tone I've ever heard , for any genre. It's not specifically because it's 100W but I just love the tone, although I like being able to get that loud when I need too. Feels like swinging a 10 ton sledgehammer when you play power chords at 100W cranked. Although I definitely love my newest amp, a Traynor 50 watt with about the most gorgeous distortion I've ever heard.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
                  Traynors give me Tone boners..... especially the YBAs and Guitarmates.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Weight, Aerodynamics, and the ability to effectively transfer the power produced from the displacement to the wheels can all replace increased displacement to improve performance.

Yes but all 1/2 stacks perform terribly in a wind-tunnel due to their boxy construction. Their wheels (if present at all) are tiny with horrible bearings that offer awful dismal rolling resistance that can be foiled by a small rock resulting in a loss of stability. As a result four big bottles in a push/pull configuration and a massive chunk of real OT iron are necessary for optimum performance and if you want to look cool and get all the chicks. (And leave off the four point safety harness while you're at it. Only sissies roll like that!)

Comment

Traynors give me Tone boners..... especially the YBAs and Guitarmates.
                      Yeah man they sound incredible. Mine is the YCV50B, with the celestion V30 speaker - the distortion and clean both sound SO good. The distortion is very Marshall, very crunchy and satisfying, definitely something special about it. If it was a head, had the flexible switching options my Marshall had, and was 100 watts I'd use it forever. But the Marshall wins as far as a live amp goes because the 4 button footswitch and channel switching options ars so flexible.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

I have several 100w Marshalls, but if I were playing out, an AFX to FOH is the way to go
                        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                          If you do not, and you owned one in the past, where do they go to die?
                          Okay Chicken Little, why do you assume because something is now being used less and you don't use it, that it is dead? What makes people think that? That's where all the stories that the guitar is dead come from. Because less are sold new now than before. Well guess what? New guitar sales could be cut off entirely and it wouldn't be the end.
                          Better make plans on how you're going to get around in the future, but the car will soon be gone. It is dying. They sold 1% less new cars last year, so say goodbye.
                          Now do we have that all out of our system?

My 3 main amps are 100 watt amps. They are not going anywhere.
                          "I am the kind of guy that only buys 100 watt heads just to play at home. I feel like if an amp can't kill a heard of cattle 100 yards away what is the point of owning it."

Comment

The muscle car guys know there's no replacement for displacement. It's the same with amps.
                            I know you're just typing a simple retort into an oversimplification, but really, I must remind you, just like the amp argument -this is not actually correct.

I had this all typed out over at TGP a couple days ago when the metaphor came up, then the thread got deleted but I said something like this, mixed in with a lot of other crap:

There's no replacement for displacement, sure, but there are some tricks to even up the odds or do things differently. My favorite is cylinder arrangement (a little V12 vs a big V8 is a bit like a 2x10 vs a 1x12), then better alloys (speaker or tranny efficiency?), forced induction (a supercharger technically increases displacement, kinda like a Fryette Power Station), EFI (SS vs tube rectifier maybe), and now electric assists (digital & SS, IR's, DI's and emulated outs.. tubes can kinda go out the window here or you can hybridize) I mean look at Group B or Formula 1.

That's just a quick and dirty interpretation.

Comment

The muscle car guys know there's no replacement for displacement...... .
                              I am also a musclecar guy (and owner). And that was true in the day. But not any more. Modern muscle will blow the doors of vintage muscle. Period. I love the vintage iron. But I'm not blindly stuck in the past.
                              Regardless, just as I like my vintage musclecars, I like my 100 watt amps. But modern amps, though a lot closer than before, cannot 100% replicate them.
                              "I am the kind of guy that only buys 100 watt heads just to play at home. I feel like if an amp can't kill a heard of cattle 100 yards away what is the point of owning it."

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                                Yeah, like having enjoy low end chunk to rattle your cojones.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
                                Stimulating and invigorating, isn't it?
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X