Flanger blend control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flanger blend control

Why do you think this feature is so rare in flangers? There is handful classic desings of analog flangers with four knobs, and none of them have it?

Yet I think it's almost mandatory for a good flanger tone to have it blended with unaltered signal. It's just too overbearing otherwise.

With Boss HF-2 I keep "manual" clock dimed for the maximum unaltered signal, and because the way it's designed to affect only higher frequencies it's perfect like that. With other type of flangers it's rarely enough (I bought Boss LS-2 specifically to dial my flanger just right. It's been sitting on a shelf since I bought HF-2)

It seems like no brainer to add in classic design for improved useability, but in 45 years of flangers, I can't recall any big manufacturer to do that. I guess that's one thing too look for in boutique pedal designs?
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Re: Flanger blend control

Fantastic question. Same goes for chorus and phaser. Being able to add in a little modulation for movement or go all the way wet for vibrato (and everything in between) provides so many tones that a simple level/blend control can offer. I guess modern boutique takes are the only ones to do it now.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The MOOG has the blend control. The big reason I got mine is the MXR M-117 has a signal drop when engaged. I hit the flanger to pop through the mix, a drop is the last thing I want. I can control the amount of output with the MOOG. There are a ton of other features in the MOOG, the biggest for me being LFO selection and EXP pedal control.

Last edited by Securb; 12-29-2019, 08:18 AM.

Comment

There are a ton of Chorus that have a "level" control.

But yeah - I know what you mean about the Flanger. I guess once you decide Phase/Chorus is not enough, most are not about the clean tones anymore.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          The MOOG has the blend control. The big reason I got mine is the MXR M-117 has a signal drop when engaged. I hit the flanger to pop through the mix, a drop is the last thing I want. I can control the amount of output with the MOOG. There are a ton of other features in the MOOG, the biggest for me being LFO selection and EXP pedal control.

Every time I post a shortcoming about chorus or flanger you post the Moog as a solution. I probably need to try one.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            Every time I post a shortcoming about chorus or flanger you post the Moog as a solution. I probably need to try one.
            I freaking love mine. It is the best Flanger I have ever owned.

Comment

because given the option of blend, everyone would turn blend all the way to dry..

Flanger Jokes...
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Bruce is a motherfooger about the moogerfooger. It probably isn't a bad chorus either...
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

It looks really good for studio work, but a bit too complex for live... No footswitch for switching between flanger/chorus modes?

Does EXP pedal control the sweep?
                  "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

Thorpy just released one with a blend function. It's on the top of my GAS list but the price tag is probably gonna keep it off my board for the foreseeable future.

But it seems really neat on paper at least. Based on the Electric Mistress but quite tweaked.
                    Last edited by Coma; 12-29-2019, 10:20 AM.
                    --------------------------------------------------------
                    1973 Aria 551
                    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                      It looks really good for studio work, but a bit too complex for live... No footswitch for switching between flanger/chorus modes?

Does EXP pedal control the sweep?
                      No there is no footswitch to toggle between flange/chorus. However, the pedal is great for live work. You can assign the EXP to FEEDBACK, TIME, LFO RATE, LFO AMOUNT or MIX. So I can control parameters of the pedal without bending down. Typically I have the EXP controlling the LFO RATE.

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                        Thorpy just released one with a blend function. It's on the top of my GAS list but the price tag is probably gonna keep it off my board for the foreseeable future.

But it seems really neat on paper at least. Based on the Electric Mistress but quite tweaked.
                        Yep. It does look great. I might buy one some day if it comes up used on reasonable price...

Comment

No there is no footswitch to toggle between flange/chorus. However, the pedal is great for live work. You can assign the EXP to FEEDBACK, TIME, LFO RATE, LFO AMOUNT or MIX. So I can control parameters of the pedal without bending down. Typically I have the EXP controlling the LFO RATE.

So can you control the sweep with it? That option is always great in modulation pedals.

Comment

Yes but different parameters of the sweep. RATE will control the speed of the sweep while the LFO AMOUNT will allow you to control how pronounced the sweep is with the EXP pedal. Feedback will control the sweep's regeneration. You can control the most common controls on a 4 knob flanger with an EXP pedal which makes it way more live friendly. Hell, if you wanted to you could plug 4 EXP pedals into it.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                              because given the option of blend, everyone would turn blend all the way to dry..

Flanger Jokes...
                              There's some truth in your comment. I built myself a chorus with a blend knob . . . and found myself doing just that all the time. :P
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X