Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EQ in front of tube amp ?

Hi there

I own a Marshall JTM60. I recently replaced all the tubes and in a week the heritage speaker will be replaced for a fullback 15".

Do any of you have experience with this amp? Because I have to use an EQ pedal in front of it to fatten up my sound. I know Marshall isn't really a bassy amp but I have my bass pot full, treble and mids on 12oclock and still have to use an EQ pedal to give me more bass and give me a nice smooth sparkling sound.

Does anyone experience the same issue?

Thanks.

Marco

Re: EQ in front of tube amp ?

15's are primarily a bass speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by dudiluty View Post
      Hi there

I own a Marshall JTM60. I recently replaced all the tubes and in a week the heritage speaker will be replaced for a fullback 15".

Do any of you have experience with this amp? Because I have to use an EQ pedal in front of it to fatten up my sound. I know Marshall isn't really a bassy amp but I have my bass pot full, treble and mids on 12oclock and still have to use an EQ pedal to give me more bass and give me a nice smooth sparkling sound.

Does anyone experience the same issue?

Thanks.

Marco
      Sounds strange. What speaker/cab you have?
      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

1x15" heritage LE15 16ohm Marshall eminence speaker.

It's a combo. Not a stack.

I ordered a 15" fullback speaker.. I will put that in this week.

Comment

Could it be a problem with the capacitors of the amp?

Comment

What guitar, what pickups?
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Also...are you referencing these tonal qualities in the context of a full band mix or are you just playing at home?

....it makes a huge difference.

Comment

Both. But definitely when playing alone.

Guitars aren't the problem I think.
                Guild Starfire V - LB-1 pickups
                Luthier made strat with handwound custom pickups(warm and sparkling and a p90 in the bridge)

Before the Marshall I had a fender the twin.. that amp got a lot of body and low-end when comparing to the Marshall. If I play a transistor amp I should get better sounds right now...

Comment

I would suggest listening to some recordings of bands that use a Marshall and have tones you like. I’d bet that there is less bass/low end than you would think.
                  But if you have an FX loop I would run the eq there. Just personal preference. But a good eq can likely give you anything you aren’t getting now.

Comment

I think if your playing low volume, it could be just the amp. But played loud JTM shouldn't be that thin sounding.

I had similar problem with my Egnater last year. There was visibly burned 1 ohm resistor in fx loop return causing it.

Update when you get the speaker replaced. That should tell if the amp has problem or not.

Note that speaker will sound thin and tight until well broken in. I put mine in the corner under blankets and played winamp playlist through mine about a week with volume. It still took couple months to get the actual sound of the speaker.
                    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                      I think if your playing low volume, it could be just the amp. But played loud JTM shouldn't be that thin sounding.

I had similar problem with my Egnater last year. There was visibly burned 1 ohm resistor in fx loop return causing it.

Update when you get the speaker replaced. That should tell if the amp has problem or not.

Note that speaker will sound thin and tight until well broken in. I put mine in the corner under blankets and played winamp playlist through mine about a week with volume. It still took couple months to get the actual sound of the speaker.

Do you meen the fullback will sound thin? All reviews that I read they are saying it got more body and mid focus. And it sound a bit like a greenback.

I have the speaker in.. so I will replace it soon to check.

Comment

Originally posted by dudiluty View Post
                        Do you meen the fullback will sound thin? All reviews that I read they are saying it got more body and mid focus. And it sound a bit like a greenback.

I have the speaker in.. so I will replace it soon to check.
                        I think he simply means that the speaker will sound better and better as it properly breaks in.
                        That’s the case with all speakers. You’ve just got to give it time and work. Usually a speaker needs a minimum of about 20 hours of loud volume for the break in process. Even then, it will continue to break in over the next several months and become warmer sounding.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                          Also...are you referencing these tonal qualities in the context of a full band mix or are you just playing at home?

....it makes a huge difference.
                          This is a good point. You don’t want a lot of low end in a band context. It muddies things up and leaves no room for the bass and drums.

And no one will hear you in the mix.

Guitar is a treble instrument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

jtm60 isnt a marshall they sing songs about but its not a bad amp. it does need to be turned up in order to sound its best though. i love greenbacks but they are not a bass heavy speaker. its mostly upper mids with a soft bottom and warmer top end. not the harsh upper mids of a v30 though. i dont have much experience with 15's as guitar speakers but the fullback gets a fair amount of love

Comment

Ok. Today I replaced the speaker and the cable. I switched of the eq first before playing.

Wow.. what a difference! It got that body back!

Comment

Working...
                              X