Switching teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching teams

I spend a lot of time griping about being dissuaded from playing bass when I was a teenager. Decided it's time to STFU and right that misstep.

I'm keeping my PRS SE 24 Custom & Line 6 Spider practice amp, but otherwise all the guitar gear is going on the chopping block. I'm buying a Warwick Corvette bass (or a Thumb if everything sells quick), and gonna work on piecing together a sweet rig.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Switching teams

UR GOING BASSIST?!!
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Also, don't be bitter. You now have a careers worth of melodic and harmonic knowledge from guitar that you never would have learned by only studying bass.
      I bought them for you

Comment

Bass can be way more complicated than guitar. :P
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I’m not bitter, it’s just another bit of advice I shouldn’t have followed.

I disagree that I wouldn’t have learned any of the things I know now had I played bass. Would probably have a crapload more experience gigging, though.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Well, you will always have gigs if you want them.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Just saying it's easier to get a gig playing bass.

The point isn't even the gigs. It's that I consider it a mistake to dissuade someone from something they want to do, especially if it's for a BS non-existent reason. And really, THAT'S not even the point... I just think I enjoy playing bass more.

Comment

There are talented bassists, but there's no way the average bassist knows as much about melody and harmony as an educated guitarist. It's an enormous advantage to be a bassist who knows guitar.
                I bought them for you

Comment

I agree that the average bassist probably knows less than an educated guitarist. That's apples and oranges though. There's no way the average guitarist is educated. :P
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I am by no means an educated guitarist. I would, however, call myself an average bass player.

My theory knowledge is about the same on both, but bass makes more sense for the same reason mandolin made more sense.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I’m really going nuts with it. Have a trade lined up for a Warwick Corvette Fretless.... with no lines!!!!!!1

Comment

Wow, I've heard fretless Warwicks before and they sound epic.
                      I bought them for you

Comment

If you can run pentatonic fluidly and rip a few blues licks, you're light years past the average bassist melodically imo.
                        I bought them for you

Comment

I agree that if you had originally wanted to learn bass, you shouldn't have been dissuaded from it. And the only position to fill in a band is that of drummer.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                            If you can run pentatonic fluidly and rip a few blues licks, you're light years past the average bassist melodically imo.
                            I suppose.
                            But my idea of an average bassist is Geddy Lee, or Chris Squire or John Entwisle.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Bass plain old doesn't teach beginners melody, harmony, or songwriting, some pretty important skills, as well as guitar. Unless you're already a genius.
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                              X