• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Switching teams

The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I think it's weird that so many fretless players are into chorus.

If Jaco had played with a different band, and used a phaser, I suppose we'd both be happier.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Since fretless bass is an approximate intonation instrument you don't find it as often in rock or metal where you have metronomic beats and two guitarists. Because in that context each instrument has its defined range. Instead, it's used more in Jazz where the beats are looser, where there's only one guitarist and that guitar might be more chordal and melodic than rhythmic. In that context, it makes sense to use a chorus with the bass because it's meant to take up a larger space in the mix and it's used for its vocal qualities. Since a chorus is pitch-shifting it can hide the imprecise nature of a fretless bass and other instruments can accent it.

Comment

It’s funny, I was a bassist for like 48 years and now I’m a guitarist, which I played before taking up bass.

I just don’t have any interest in playing bass anymore, except on my own demo recordings. [emoji2371]

You will certainly get more work. Everyone is always looking for bass players and drummers.

The bass player in my band is a guitarist in all his other bands. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 2 bolt-on Warwick Corvettes, 1 with the old wood combo, one with the new wood combo. Both terrific instruments except the bridge has some parts that can fall out on string change if you have high action. Highly recommended instruments.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
              Since fretless bass is an approximate intonation instrument [...]
              It is the other way round. A fretted instrument will never be properly intonated except on 1 fret. On a fretless instrument you can be perfect if your fingers are perfectly placed.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                I have 2 bolt-on Warwick Corvettes, 1 with the old wood combo, one with the new wood combo. Both terrific instruments except the bridge has some parts that can fall out on string change if you have high action. Highly recommended instruments.
                Yep... figured out to keep those grub screws tightened pretty quickly. It’s awesome how adjustable the bridge is.

I’m trying to get my action lower anymore, so I ease up with both hands. The fretless seems to sing a little more like that.

Put a set of SIT Foundations nickel rounds on it the other day. Immediately sounded like what was in my head. Tons of growl, super full and clear. Plus, like every other SIT string I’ve used, you put them on, tune, stretch, tune again, and they’re solid.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I ended up using High Beams on most of my basses. Stainless steel wind but round core. It's pretty bright but nothing is missing and you can shape the sound nicely.

Comment

Just put Sperzels on the Warwick. They're locking, but I'm using them like traditional tuners with a few wraps and just a bit of clamp tension.

Why use Sperzels, you ask? They're significantly lighter than the stock tuners (which work very well). Swapping to these is like removing one of the stock tuners completely. I like the shape of the buttons, as well. Unfortunately, the Sperzels have an 11mm bushing, and the Warwick is 14mm. I wrapped them in tape for now, but I will be taking a ride to the hardware store to get a wood dowel later.

Comment

Working...
                    X