Switching teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Switching teams

Yeah I wanna see this. I've played a few Warwicks and they were wonderful instruments.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Here’s one of the seller’s photos. I’ll get some more once I’ve oiled and waxed it.

Tone wood non-believers get ready to puke:

Ovangkol neck
      Ebony board
      Bubinga body

MEC J pickups, master volume, balance, tone, passive everything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8F015BBA-EB0E-4710-B367-A7DCFC39B275.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	5817930
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

That is sharp. I've seen lots of bass makers use off the cuff and exotic woods outside the norm.

Comment

Those sound like some good tone woods.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Thanks. Always loved how Warwicks look. They use Wenge for the fretted fingerboards, sometimes for the whole neck. The country where wenge is harvested had a civil war around 20 years ago, so ovangkol was introduced. They have some models with flame maple bodies, too. This bubinga guitar is pretty heavy, can’t imagine the flame maple.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Wow, that is gorgeous!
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks! Wait until you see pics of the neck wood and back. I love how kind of misshapen Warwicks are, like they just got cut down out of the forest rather than built.

Just spent a few minutes playing it plugged in... this is a whole different thing. I don’t know how much is the wood, being fretless, or the pickups, but there’s this depth to the tone, like there’s a really subtle chorus. Still need to tweak the setup, adjust the pickups, etc, but I’m really happy with it.

Interestingly, playing fretless isn’t at weird as I thought it would be. It’s almost like playing with four slides simultaneously, and a whole lot easier if you just listen and don’t think about it. The amp I’m looking at has a tuner out jack, so I’m gonna practice playing scales with the tuner on all the time.

Comment

Cool. You can use your open strings to check your intonation. Play the closed note either simultaneously or after the open note and confirm that the interval sounds correct. I used to play upright The subtle chorus thing is the pitch varying slightly since there's no fret to keep it exact.
                  Last edited by Clint 55; 01-05-2020, 10:21 AM.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Oiled, waxed, setup tweaked, and (after the photos) restrung with Dunlop Super Bright nickel rounds 45-105. It had GHS Boomers on it when I got it, which didn’t sound bad, but the Dunlop SBs ate lower tension, feel softer, and sound a bit more lively.

Name:	A7913BEF-A84B-4249-911C-7AC7F7092D00.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	5817934

Name:	F3680E8E-0045-4BFD-BFDF-FDB4753F9D71.jpg
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	5817935

Name:	9B42357D-D177-411B-BDD7-1371E4004E13.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	5817936

Name:	1E84F081-8D79-4637-8563-0B6EFD1D5611.jpeg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	5817937

Comment

Oh cool you went with roundwounds.
                      I bought them for you

Comment

What a great heel joint on that thing! The ebony looks great too . . .
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Not a fretless guy myself, but that's a nice looking bass.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Clint - For sure. I'm gonna try D'Addario Chromes at some point, but every time I pick up a bass or guitar with flats, I hate how it feels. Kinda like with highly polished picks, they stick to my fingers. If I want that dull, old school tone, I'll stick a piece of foam under the strings and play close to the neck.

GuitarStv - Everybody makes it out like the necks on these things are baseball bats. It's a very comfortable mix between being pretty beefy, but without much shoulder. That neck joint doesn't hurt, either. Bubinga, the body wood, is also known as African Rosewood, and is reflected in the weight, which is A LOT. It doesn't feel as heavy as the '73 Strat at my dad's house, but it's heavy as hell.

Demanic- Thanks man! I didn't think I was a fretless guy either, and then all of a sudden I was
                            Last edited by JB_From_Hell; 01-05-2020, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                              For sure. I'm gonna try D'Addario Chromes at some point, but every time I pick up a bass or guitar with flats, I hate how it feels. Kinda like with highly polished picks, they stick to my fingers. If I want that dull, old school tone, I'll stick a piece of foam under the strings and play close to the neck.
                              Or just roll off the tone knob and play close to the neck. Or have you ever tried one of those thick felt picks?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                                Or just roll off the tone knob and play close to the neck. Or have you ever tried one of those thick felt picks?
                                Yeah, got a few recently. I got one that's super thick, and another that tapers toward the tip and has something on it to make it a little stiffer. Also got 3mm Primetones. Still prefer the 2mm Gator Grips, but I use my fingers 98% of the time.

The foam is a different effect than the tone knob, but the tone knob is always useful, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X