banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Completed demo -- CONCERTO FOR A DYING SUN (prog, orchestral)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Completed demo -- CONCERTO FOR A DYING SUN (prog, orchestral)

Rough mix is almost done; edited and EQ’d the guitar tracks last night. Just gotta give the kick/bass a look and then I’m going to put this one aside and start working on the next one. Meeting with the singer next week, I think, to start working on the vocals.

Recording with the iso cab is both a blessing and a curse. Lining the inside of the cab with Auralex panels tightened it up a lot, but there are still some strange resonances that come through. Careful EQing is essential.

The other blessing/curse is the lack of room noise. Fortunately, the RV-500 has a brilliant room algorithm! (Yes, I am using an outboard reverb for these tracks, not a plugin) Adding a touch of room reverb really makes the guitar tracks come alive and sound ((W I D E)).
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

And there's the rough of mix of the final tracks. Not perfect, or even close, but good enough for me to move on to next song and revisit it when it's time for final mixing!! :P

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
        I love LMNC! Have you checked out Loopop? His videos are very educational as well. If you are interested in the nuts and bolts of synthesis, definitely check out Learning Modular on YouTube. Chris Meyer knows what he's doing and the book he Kickstarted last year, Patch & Tweak, is essential reading. Andrew Huang is very popular, his videos are entertaining and I feel that though his knowledge of synthesis is deep, he really doesn't share much of that knowledge, it's all very surface-y. LMNC goes into super deep dives I can't even fathom lol. EDIT: How could I forget DivKid and mylar melodies? Both of their channels are amazing!

I own an SSL channel strip; It's pretty much great for anything. A lot of ppl prefer Neve for guitar tracks, and I love the 1073, but SSL just makes everything sound super punchy. However, the SSL still only adds that final 5% to the overall sound, to be honest. It's a great icing for the cake, but you gotta have a cake first lol.

If you're really interested, you can listen to the current state of the song here, https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Kq...0-a0xlZ2atP9kh.
        Yeah, I've watched a fair number of loopop videos. I like how his stuff is nice and organized, but I find I learn more watching cuckoo. I'll have to check out that Learning Modular channel for sure -- thanks for the recommendation. I agree about Andrew Huang -- he can be fun to watch, but the channel is more about showcasing his creativity, so you don't learn as much. Simon the Magpie is also extremely entertaining IMO, though also not as educational as the other channels. Do you watch knobs at all? Have you seen the chase bliss "blooper" pedal he has been designing?

And wow -- I'm jealous of the SSL strip! Honestly, I must have somehow missed that it was even an option to get a single channel strip of that caliber for only 1000. I'm listening to the new rough mix, and even though it's clearly not done yet, it sounds really good! Now I have GAS lol.
        Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
        Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
        Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
        Marshall 1960a
        Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

I don't think I know knobs, will have to check it out; thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for the feedback, if anything sounds obviously untoward, let me know. (Personally, on re listening, I think the solo is too loud)

Comment

I don't think I know knobs, will have to check it out; thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for the feedback, if anything sounds obviously untoward, let me know. (Personally, on re listening, I think the solo is too loud)
            I'll give it some spins through my monitors and let you know later this week.
            Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
            Marshall 1960a
            Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Originally posted by AmirH View Post
              I'll give it some spins through my monitors and let you know later this week.
              I appreciate it here; the final rough is here, https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j9...pfbsqL0dLhKAD2

Comment

I appreciate it here; the final rough is here, https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j9...pfbsqL0dLhKAD2
                Thanks for providing an uncompressed version. Soundcloud and YouTube compression creates horrible phasing through both sets of monitors -- I can even hear it on pro recordings. Notes as I listen:

The synth part at the beginning sounds good. Your drums, when they come in, are a little low for my tastes, especially the cymbal crashes on the left. Rhythm guitars sound fantastic -- I really like how they sit with the other instruments and give that keyboard line room to breath. The cymbal hits on the left generally feel a bit out of place around 3.23 -- not sure if it's just because they're too low or a little too frequent. Synth transition at 4.14 sounds super solid. Drums at this part are more where I would expect them levels wise. Guitars around 6.15 are a little low, and yes, you're right -- that lead bit is too loud in comparison. See how it sounds after raising the rhythm part, but it might indeed need to come down a bit. Love that new tone though. Not sure how I feel about that second layer of synth fading out later than the louder layer at 8.19, though I assume that was intentional. The pulsing synth sound could come up a wee bit, though that's a matter of taste. I hear some glitches in that part before drums come in -- not sure what that is. The high synth around 9.45 is a little grating, and the guitars sound comparatively thin when they come in. I don't hear bass in that section and suspect that's the culprit. Around 11.36 that cymbal sound on the left comes back -- I think part of what's happening is you need a wider variety of samples for that sound, since a cymbal sounds a little different each time you hit it. The rest of the drums sound realistic, but that sound is a giveaway. I found myself wanting more lows and low mids throughout the entire last movement of the song. Hope that helps!
                Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
                Marshall 1960a
                Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not going to be revisiting this until final mix, this is basically a zero fader rough. Can you give me a timestamp for the glitches you hear? I'm curious as to what you're actually hearing there. The third movement doesn't really have a bass line, it has a single pulsing 8th note which never changes pitch or rhythm. That movement is an experiment to see how many chords I could pile on top of a single note and still have it sounds like it have changes.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not going to be revisiting this until final mix, this is basically a zero fader rough. Can you give me a timestamp for the glitches you hear? I'm curious as to what you're actually hearing there. The third movement doesn't really have a bass line, it has a single pulsing 8th note which never changes pitch or rhythm. That movement is an experiment to see how many chords I could pile on top of a single note and still have it sounds like it have changes.
                    So it wasn't my imagination about the bass, haha. Listening on headphones, I can't hear the glitching. I can check again tomorrow -- I heard a crackling sound, but now I'm wondering if it was from the stream. Also, I'm noticing different things through headphones. The shaker sound at the end of the second movement sounds hard panned and a little choked off from the rest of the mix.
                    Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
                    Marshall 1960a
                    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

That’s 8 bit noise from the AY3. it will never be as expressive as a shaker lol.

Thanks for the continued feedback, it keeps me listening with a fresh perspective.

As for sounding closed off my guess is because, aside from the snare, there is no reverb on the percussion instruments. This is a conscious decision/stylistic choice. Feature, not bug.

Comment

Working...
                      X