Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Randall Cab

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
    My issue with MDF cabs is transport and durability. As devastone said they're heavier than a comparable plywood cab, and they tend to fall apart if you knock them around.
    Agree here 100%!!! In particular if you ever have one get exposed to moisture they just turn to mush and disintegrate!!
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
      Agree here 100%!!! In particular if you ever have one get exposed to moisture they just turn to mush and disintegrate!!
      Huh? DO you know how much "moisture" it would take to decompose MDF? That amount of water would damage any piece of equipment.

Comment

Acension lives in moisture, I mean Alabama. The birch ply used in, uhm, for lack of a better word, nicer cabs is typically marine grade.

Comment

Partical board technology has improved quite a bit in recent decades. I have no idea what kind of abuse you wahoo's are putting your cabs through, but really...I'm pretty sure my MX212 will outlive me! And I have gig on the beach next week...just sayin'

That said - I agree - probably a lot better cabs available at that price. Or as Bruce suggested - speaker upgrade for my current one.

Just always on the lookout for a stackable 2x12 solution in case I want a 4x12 mojo with the option to go 2x12....
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I'm not a wood products expert . . . but I suspect that particle board technology has not seen significant improvements for several decades at least. :P
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              I'm not a wood products expert . . .
              I think a lot of us belie ve you are an expert when it comes to wood. And tools...
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                I'm not a wood products expert . . . but I suspect that particle board technology has not seen significant improvements for several decades at least. :P
                MDF and engineered wood products have evolved like any other technology. There are better resins and manufacturing processes in place. Just like wood, there are different grades of MDF. Some have sawdust, paper waste pulp and others are all wood byproducts. The cheap MDF is cheap the more expensive is obviously higher grade. The stuff ranges from particle board to high-density fiberboard, our guitar cabs land right about the middle of that spectrum.

Comment

$19 more, yeah it's a 1-12 but big, and very well made with you choice of speakers - https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/guit...2-convertible/

Comment

My Dad and I made this 2x10 bass cab out of some pretty luxurious woods. Mahogany, jarrah, a partition in the middle. Sounds great but I'm not gigging with that thing anymore. It weighs more than a 4x12 guitar cab and even a production 4x10 bass cab.
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Working...
                    X