• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Psyclone Humbucker

They sound great in that video!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I love the vintage Psyclone I have in the neck of my Tele. I'm wondering which of my other guitars needs one of these now!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

It is a sound I've never really explored, to be honest. I don't have much experience with these kinds of pickups and how they might work in other types of guitars.

Comment

I hadn't until fairly recently. I tried a Fender Telebration Cabronita Telecaster about 18 months ago on a trip back to the UK. I just love the sound of the TV Jones pickups in that. I love the traditional Tele bridge pickup, but when the Psyclones came out I just couldn't resist the chance to put one in the neck of my Tele. I run it with the tone pot only on the bridge pickup, and so I get everything I can out of the Psyclone. Fuller and sweeter than a standard Tele neck pickup, but with an openness to it. It's had me gassing for Gretsch guitars!

Comment

So can it turn your tele into a Gretsch-a-like?

Comment

It adds a Gretschy flavour, but it's still a Tele.

Comment

I've been wanting to put a different neck pickup in one of my Telecasters ever since I saw the Cabronita too! I'm a sucker for the Gretsch sound but haven't had a lot of success really jiving with Gretsch guitars over the years (though I acknowledge they're awesome guitars and I own a couple, I have a hard time clicking with them the way I do with my Fenders etc.) I have an FMT HH that sounds really good as it is, but I've been thinking about wanting to do something a little different with it so getting the Psyclone Humbucker might be the route I go with....

Comment

Doing what I do in playing mostly modern Worship stuff a nice filtertron tone is VERY appealing to me! I can't use true single coils because of the noise issues with wiring and lights in many Churches I play in so having a bright chimy tone with no noise like these appear to offer seems a God send for me. Many of the big Worship guys are going to Lambertone humbuckers that spec and sound a lot like Filtertrons so--? Question is are the the same size or smaller than a normal Duncan humbucker? Thinking the AE 185 I have would be a perfect place to drop a pair of these into if they will fit. I have a Hybrid in the bridge and a Sentient in the neck of that guitar now but have another Carvin with that same set up so could use a different tone in that guitar in particular with the acoustic bridge it has.
                  Here is an example of the type stuff I have to cover regularly I'm thinking these may kill with through my rigs. Playing this song this coming Sunday morning in fact.
                  Last edited by Ascension; 01-08-2020, 01:02 AM.
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Man, that's a very cool sounding pickup! I might need to get a pair to try out in a baritone guitar.

Comment

Real interested in these! Especially as I have a pretty dark LP that I've been trying to brighten for a while.

Because it's not the usual combo, think it would sound similar to this?

Thanks to the folks at TV Jones for sending their Super'Tron guitar pickups to our Brian Cameron for this first-hand report. This video is a first impression...
                      'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

i had the TV-jones classics with englisch mount in a LP and i didn't like it all that much.
                        lots of highend and bass. little mids. i tend to like that but in this case not so much. too HiFi.
                        i prefer this style of pickup in (semi)hollow bodies or heavily chambered guitars.
                        makes them sound more sweet and round and not so stiff and cold but with a nice open top end.
                        think brian setzer, malcolm young to name a few of the most famous gretsch sounds.

i bet the Duncan version (or powertron or classic plus) with their higher winds will be great in solid bodies,
                        but the result will be way different than the 4k vintage winds in a non solid guitar.

Comment

I'm confused. Haven't these been out for years? I remember asking about them last May. Has-anyone-tried-Duncan-Psyclone

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                            I'm confused. Haven't these been out for years? I remember asking about them last May. Has-anyone-tried-Duncan-Psyclone
                            These are the full-sized humbucker versions Artie, rather than the TV Jones Filtertron-sized release last year.

Comment

Ah. Thanks. I didn't realize the originals were smaller.

This post turns out to be timely. I just measured the pups in my new Gretsch, and they are definitely full-sized HB'er size. The "new" Psyclones are just what I need.
                              Last edited by ArtieToo; 01-23-2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X