Psyclone Humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Psyclone Humbucker

So, will these be available in both the "hot" and "vintage" versions? Or is there just one version?

Edit: Ah, I see the bridge version is wound a little hotter. That's pretty much what I'd want.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 01-26-2020, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      So, will these be available in both the "hot" and "vintage" versions? Or is there just one version?

Edit: Ah, I see the bridge version is wound a little hotter. That's pretty much what I'd want.
      Both are a little hotter Artie look at the DC resistance they are both up into PAF territory so will be pretty different than the regular Psyclones.
      Wish they would nail the Price down though when this was first posted it was $239 then went to 249 and now is up to 279 last I looked so??
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

That concerns me a bit. I don't need another PAF. I want the classic Filter'Tron sound. To complicate matters further, the Gretsch uses 3-screw pickup mounting. I wonder if I would be better off adapting the original Psyclones to this axe? Or, just leaving it alone.

Comment

That concerns me a bit. I don't need another PAF. I want the classic Filter'Tron sound. To complicate matters further, the Gretsch uses 3-screw pickup mounting. I wonder if I would be better off adapting the original Psyclones to this axe? Or, just leaving it alone.
          If you listen those tones are pretty unique. Kind of fills the space between a traditional PAF and a single coil. Now if you have a Gretch with regular Filtertrons might want to look hard at the regular Psyclones as these are slightly larger than a normal Duncan Humbucker. I would have to rout my AE 185 Carvin for example to fit these per the dimensions as I checked it.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I don't think the new ones sound much like a PAF to me. They sound Gretschy to me, at least as close as you can get in a humbucker size.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
              If you listen those tones are pretty unique. Kind of fills the space between a traditional PAF and a single coil. Now if you have a Gretch with regular Filtertrons might want to look hard at the regular Psyclones as these are slightly larger than a normal Duncan Humbucker. I would have to rout my AE 185 Carvin for example to fit these per the dimensions as I checked it.
              I see what you mean. The originals are longer, (2.844" vs 2.77"), but narrower, (1.4" vs 1.5"). I'll need to verify what fits my Gretsch.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I don't think the new ones sound much like a PAF to me. They sound Gretschy to me, at least as close as you can get in a humbucker size.
              That's good to know. Decisions, decisions! On a side note, are TV Jones and Filter'Tron, more or less the same thing?

Edit: Oops. Those were inches. Not millimeters.
              Last edited by ArtieToo; 01-28-2020, 11:43 AM.

Comment

My Psyclone neck was a tight fit in a standard Filtertron route in my Telecaster pickguard, but it did fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	65809070_10157518248607053_5581485184278069248_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	5818091

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Sweet. But how did you actually mount that? Did you convert to direct mount? Block of wood, or something?

Comment

It's mounted direct into the body, but it does come with a mounting bar if you need to fix it to the pickguard. I routed the body (poorly ) myself, and used a bit of foam underneath it, and used the screws that came with it.

Comment

Don't know if the full-sized version will come with that though.

Comment

That's no prob. I just double checked the Gretsch and it's definitely full-sized HB'er size. So, if I decide to go this route, I'll get the new HB'er sized units.

Comment

That's no prob. I just double checked the Gretsch and it's definitely full-sized HB'er size. So, if I decide to go this route, I'll get the new HB'er sized units.
                          8k is absolutly not typical vintage filtertron dcr.
                          it will be between a PAF and a Filtertron, but i fear your're not getting all the classic filtertron vibe.

Comment

I wish there was a definitive YT vid, or somesuch. New Psyclones will double the cost of this guitar. I don't mind, but this thing sounds good just as it stands. I don't want to "upgrade" unless there's a profound improvement.

Comment

Yeah, there just aren't a ton of them in the wild yet, much less people who have come on here with their experiences yet. As time goes on, we will get those people in here, and if you dive in, we can add that experience, too.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Maybe I should get some, and post my own video.

Just pulled the trigger. Film@11. (After they get here.)
                                Last edited by ArtieToo; 01-30-2020, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X