Split Wiring help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split Wiring help?

Yeah another wiring help thread. This should be pretty easy for most of you guys but I've never done advanced wiring at all.

I'm wiring up an HSS pickguard and I want the 2 position to be auto split no matter what, as in bridge split + the middle single coil. I don't want to have to fiddle with a push/pull just to get the 2 position to be like this.

But I also want the option to use the bridge split on its own though, so I can pretend it's an SSS once in a while.

So if that's the case do I need to buy a super switch (just for the auto split 2 position) AND a push / pull for splitting the bridge on its own?

And if so, would I just run the "split" wire out of the pickup to the 2 position of the switch and then also run a wire parallel to that going to the push pull? Is that how you do it?

The pickups are JB / antiquity 2/ antiquity 2 , and the middle is RWRP so I'm going to split to the screw coil. If that makes any difference

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Re: Split Wiring help?

Here's how you'd wire for auto split in position 2:

If you want to choose between series and split in position 1 you'll need to add a switch (push/pull, push/push, or mini toggle). Use this diagram:

To have both options operational, use that 2nd diagram, run a wire from where the red and white wires are to the second right lug on the 5 way switch as shown in the first diagram. The third lug will still go to ground.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
      Here's how you'd wire for auto split in position 2:

If you want to choose between series and split in position 1 you'll need to add a switch (push/pull, push/push, or mini toggle). Use this diagram:

To have both options operational, use that 2nd diagram, run a wire from where the red and white wires are to the second right lug on the 5 way switch as shown in the first diagram. The third lug will still go to ground.
      Cool, thank you ! That actually makes a lot of sense now. So I don't need a super switch ?
      That looks like a regular fender switch and that would be really cool if I could just keep the fender switch that's already in the guitar.

Last edited by BeKindRewind; 01-03-2020, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
        ... So I don't need a super switch ?

Correct.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Yeah, no need for super switch.

Comment

It's finally operational and I'm VERY happy with this setup, though it still needs some tweaks.

I decided not to set-up the auto split yet and just try the default bridge + middle in parallel for my 2 position, but it ended up being out of phase. It sounds really cool actually ! But the volume drop is way too much and it's just not a sound I'm going to use. It's because my middle is RWRP so if I just switch the positive and negative that should fix that issue.

But yeah overall this is my favorite pickup set YET . After deliberating(and making many threads, changing my mind several times) for probably 6 months what to spend my money on guitar-wise, I'm glad this is what I ended up with.

The JB sounds amazing in a Strat. It doesn't sound like my other Strat that also has a JB.., and I'm sure it's just down to it being a different hunk of wood. It's a brighter, denser sound with more sustain but slightly less harmonics. Still playing with the height to try and hit that harmonic sweet spot though.

The volume balance between the JB and the antiquities though, is perfect. Almost no noticable difference with my setup, which is typically a "lead" type amp with about 5 gain. It just gets cleaner and sweeter. And I gotta say being able to quickly switch between that ripping JB sound to the single coil in the neck for sweetness, this is the bee's knees.

I've ordered some 250k push-push pots for more options, like splitting the bridge by itself to emulate an SSS guitar. I know push push are junk, as discussed earlier but it's a temporary solution until I figure out what's going to work for me .

As far as looks. I love it. Mission accomplished.. doesn't look brand new, but doesn't look relicced, just looks like a 14 year old fat Strat.

Now what am I going to do with my antiquity custom wound bridge? It reads 9.98k - I like this setup so much that I ordered an HSS pickguard for my other Strat too. But the other one is going to go

Bridge - JB
            Middle - SSL-1
            Neck - antiquity custom 9.98k

So it'll be a very similar setup with a hotter neck pickup and I'll see how that works out. Don't know if I'll like it, I've never tried a pickup that hot in the neck. It might be a mud - fest but if it's totally awful I'll just put the ssl-1 there instead.

Last edited by BeKindRewind; 01-20-2020, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I love the look of your guitar. Strats can have a complex appearance but yours has a warm simplicity to it. Very well done. So glad you like the tones you're getting. That's the main thing.

Comment

Working...
              X