X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Crate amp pot : G40XL

Hello, this is the pot in the center labelled : 70-254-22 137/9015 ROC

2020-01-03_05-42-31 by panixgr, on Flickr

any one knows where to source this? or anything equivalent?

Re: Old Crate amp pot : G40XL

EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Thanks, I had seen that, the shipping cost is 37 EUR from Belgium to Greece. I think I may just start looking for alternatives, if any. Or just buy a new amp.
      Last edited by greekdude; 01-04-2020, 12:22 AM.

Comment

That is the usual problem when buying any single part. I try and save up repair projects so I can order enough parts that the shipping cost appears reasonable.

It depends on space available around the pot, but an alternative is to remove the old pot from the board. Solder 3 wires to the board/pads where the old pot mounted.

Find a cost effective place to buy the equivalent pot with slightly longer shaft threads. Then you put a lock washer on the pot. Mount the new pot in the face plate with the legs 90 degrees or 180 degrees away from the board. Put a lock washer and the old nut on the front of the face plate. You usually need the lock washers to ensure the pot does not rotate when you turn the knob.

Then solder the other end of the wires to the pot legs. You want the wires to be as short as possible and depending on the circuit this can still induce some noise. There may also be some cosmetic differences where that knob is farther from the face plate than the others.
        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

^^^ thanx, I'll concentrate on the shaft and find similar diameter and shape (split), then all the rest are doable as you say!

Comment

Now that you know it is a 250k audio taper, if you have a local or online electronics supplier in Greece you may be able to find an equivalent that could still be soldered to the board. It might require slightly bending the legs or the shaft might be a little longer, but any 250k audio taper potentiometer that fits will work. It does not have to be that exact part.

I am not sure why, but I was assuming those options had been exhausted.
            I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

^^^ its hard to find this shaft dimensions. Anyways of course this is doable, I'd like it to not look ugly that's all.
              Last edited by greekdude; 01-04-2020, 05:54 AM.

Comment

hey, I think this is getting closer : https://www.soundtronics.co.uk/synth...-250k-log.html

Comment

Hi, ended up ordering this : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Taiwan-Al...72.m2749.l2649
                  I hope the shaft's diameter wont be too large for the knob.

Comment

Original knob didnt fit. Had to buy one which looks close but still far from the original. Will post photos soon. Luckily the scratchy noises are now gone!

Comment

2020-01-24_11-52-32 by panixgr, on Flickr

2020-01-24_11-53-28 by panixgr, on Flickr

2020-01-24_11-53-41 by panixgr, on Flickr

Comment

close enough
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                        X