EHX Ram's Head Big Muff Reissue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EHX Ram's Head Big Muff Reissue

So I got this guy for Christmas and there isn't a thread for it here yet so I wanted to talk about it a bit. I love mine. I'm really digging the doom vibes with my Les Paul, and I feel like it was made for Strats because I've never really liked mine with other dirt tones but it just sings with this thing. I think that Pink Floyd guy was really onto something guys. I am currently using it a lot with an 808 "clean" boosting in front of it and man it is a nice sound. I originally wanted the Triangle RI, but then this was announced and I'm glad I waited cause I couldn't be happier. However I am really considering getting a Triangle anyway because I have found so many tone settings I like that I would love two pedals with different settings on demand. That probably sounds ridiculous anywhere but a forum like this.

Anyone else got one? What do you think?
    Originally posted by Rockstar216
    Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Re: EHX Ram's Head Big Muff Reissue

I really like Muffs. Tremendously variable pedals. You can give 'em to 10 different people and get 10 completely different sounds because of the variability of the EQ and how it's used.

They're a little tricky to record and play with live though. The lack of mids thing means you're either overpowering everyone or barely heard . . . so I've been doing a lot of experimenting blasting the muff into an OD pedal or my amp's gain stage to regain some mids and cut better.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Try a graphic eq pedal after the muff.

Comment

Haven’t played the rams head but love my triangle.

Comment

Anyone have both the Triangle and Rams Head to do a comparison?
          1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
          Jackson Soloist 7 string
          ESP LTD M-400
          Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

I really dig that one. I have a reissue triangle, but my fav for bass is the green Russian, and guitar is the Cornish P19. They all rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been using a Frantone 'The Sweet' for quite a few years (she's the person who designed the NYC Big Muff in the 90s). It's like a higher gain germanium muff.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                I really like Muffs. Tremendously variable pedals. You can give 'em to 10 different people and get 10 completely different sounds because of the variability of the EQ and how it's used.

They're a little tricky to record and play with live though. The lack of mids thing means you're either overpowering everyone or barely heard . . . so I've been doing a lot of experimenting blasting the muff into an OD pedal or my amp's gain stage to regain some mids and cut better.
                Never used the original, but the Stomp Under Foot Civil War Muff is fantastic live. It cuts really well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                  Never used the original, but the Stomp Under Foot Civil War Muff is fantastic live. It cuts really well for me.
                  That makes sense. The Civil War muff has more bass/mids and less gain than other versions.

Comment

EHX Ram's Head Big Muff Reissue

Back in the 70s I had a Guild Foxy Lady. It was basically a triangle Big Muff Pi rebranded for Guild. That was a great pedal.

The Ram’s Head reissue reminds me of the Foxy Lady more than the triangle reissue.

I had a green Russian Muff and hated it. It was too clean sounding.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                      Back in the 70s I had a Guild Foxy Lady. It was basically a triangle Big Muff Pi rebranded for Guild. That was a great pedal.

The Ram’s Head reissue reminds me of the Foxy Lady more than the triangle reissue.

I had a green Russian Muff and hated it. It was too clean sounding.

The Foxy Lady was Robert Fripp's fuzz of choice.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        The Foxy Lady was Robert Fripp's fuzz of choice.
                        And it sounded just like him! That’s my litmus test for Big Muffs.

And that’s why I hated my green Russian Muff. Didn’t sound like Fripp.

Comment

I liked the green Russian for rhythm. It’s the only one I liked using for (power) chords. For soloing love the triangle and did ok with a TS into NYC.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                            And it sounded just like him! That’s my litmus test for Big Muffs.

And that’s why I hated my green Russian Muff. Didn’t sound like Fripp.

Apparently, this is the next pedal for me to try!
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                            X