Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SSL-5 Bridge PUP Sounds Bright And Harsh

Originally posted by ZolloKaptain View Post
    Unfortunately, I am away from my setup right now. I'll be back home shortly, but I do know that it occurs on at least two or three strings. I'll see if I can actually silence it later.
    The other thing I thought too....is it possible that the trem bar is rattling in the socket?
    A lot of guys like to let isn’t naturally swing down when not using it so it occurred to me that maybe when it’s not screwed in all the way it could rattle

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
      The other thing I thought too....is it possible that the trem bar is rattling in the socket?
      A lot of guys like to let isn’t naturally swing down when not using it so it occurred to me that maybe when it’s not screwed in all the way it could rattle
      I didn't have the trem bar in the bridge when I noticed it making the sound.

Comment

So, I just got back and noticed after taking the backplate off that it seems like the springs are actually making the sound. I think that in the process of putting the springs back on the tremolo block that I might have caused another issue to surface. This is probably why I never noticed this before.
        Is it possible that I might have caused the springs to start ringing, or did I maybe just exacerbate an existing issue?

Update:
        To answer my own question I don't think I caused this issue as the amplified tone seems exactly the same as it was before I tampered with the springs.

The ringing sound is pretty metallic sounding, kind of spring-like which is why I think the tremolo springs are the most likely culprit. Also, there is no way that I can mute the sound by touching anything on the bridge itself. Also if you flick the springs they do ring.
        Last edited by ZolloKaptain; 01-09-2020, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Cut up some old bad guitar cable and stick it in the springs. They'll never ring again, but will work just fine for the trem.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I have also had trem systems that made spring noise.
            The fix Steve suggested will work and they also sell noiseless springs, which I have installed in a couple guitars that wok great too

Comment

Noiseless springs do work well, although they can be pricey. If you have a backplate, you can just do what GuitarStv suggested.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Is there anything else you could put in the trem springs to get a similar dampening?
                I don't have any garbage guitar cables, but I do have shrink wrap, could I do something with that?

I tried using electrical tape by wrapping it around all the springs already, and although it seems to have dampened the sound coming from the springs considerably it has had no effect on the main issue at all.
                In fact, I believe after further inspection that they are different issues. If I listen really closely, after dampening the springs, I can kind of hear the overtones or high-frequency ringing that I hear amplified when playing. Unfortunately, I can't really locate the exact source of the sound but am confident that I can hear it coming from somewhere on the top of the body guitar.

I have heard of some people complaining about the springs used with pickups making noises before, could this have any importance here?

I'm not sure how to discern if the issue is a result of the bridges or saddles, especially since I can't really locate the sound. Before changing electronics in my guitar, I think it's best to start looking at the mechanics of my guitar first. Freefrog's research also shows us that there is something undeniably weird about the sound, those harmonic spikes.

I do have a MXR dynacomp and, although unfortunately it is a poor reissue version that usually just makes everything sound dull unless you find the perfect sweet spot, I could surely try that out a little more as Freefrog suggested.

Comment

For me the spring noise issue sounds sort of like reverb. When you stop playing there is some spring ringing that come through the amp still.

However, your initial issue with the harsh overtones, imo and without really being able to fully examine the guitar in person seems to be a different issue to me.
                  Go through each component and firmly yet gently tighten things down with a screwdriver and see if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by ZolloKaptain View Post
                    Is there anything else you could put in the trem springs to get a similar dampening?
                    I don't have any garbage guitar cables, but I do have shrink wrap, could I do something with that?

I tried using electrical tape by wrapping it around all the springs already, and although it seems to have dampened the sound coming from the springs considerably it has had no effect on the main issue at all.
                    In fact, I believe after further inspection that they are different issues. If I listen really closely, after dampening the springs, I can kind of hear the overtones or high-frequency ringing that I hear amplified when playing. Unfortunately, I can't really locate the exact source of the sound but am confident that I can hear it coming from somewhere on the top of the body guitar.

I have heard of some people complaining about the springs used with pickups making noises before, could this have any importance here?

I'm not sure how to discern if the issue is a result of the bridges or saddles, especially since I can't really locate the sound. Before changing electronics in my guitar, I think it's best to start looking at the mechanics of my guitar first. Freefrog's research also shows us that there is something undeniably weird about the sound, those harmonic spikes.

I do have a MXR dynacomp and, although unfortunately it is a poor reissue version that usually just makes everything sound dull unless you find the perfect sweet spot, I could surely try that out a little more as Freefrog suggested.
                    Hi,

Sorry for the late answer, I've been more than busy yesterday.

Regarding the comp: once the "output" pot set high enough (IOW: noticeably higher than unity gain), it shouldn't sound dull. At least it doesn't IME.

Regarding this issue of harmonic peaks: I stand on the idea that it's due to a mechanical problem but to my ears, it involves something that the string faintly touches while vibrating and when it's bent.
                    I don't know if this "something" has to do with the saddles (whose grooves would be unproperly shaped) or frets. I'd need to have the guitar in my hands to understand what happens and anyway, that's the kind of things that I usually solve empirically, by swapping, unscrewing and rescrewing anything in relation with the vibrating strings until the problem disappears...

All I can do right now is to state that in my expericence, MANY elements in a Strat can generate parasitic sounds. Example: https://hazeguitars.com/blog/how-to-...-bridge-screws
                    Hey, even a loose truss rod can rattle in the neck, so it's not as if such things were easy to trouble-shoot, especially online...

I wish you'll find a solution.
                    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                      I definitely hear what you’re talking about and while I can’t really add more than Freedrog had already talked about, I feel like this sound is somehow mechanical in nature.
                      Check that everything is properly right.
                      Is tour trem block 100% secure?
                      Is a trem spring vibrating against something and transmitting through the pickup?

The fundamental tone of the pickup sounds normal to me but there is definitely a “something” in that high frequency going on but I don’t suspect the pickup.
                      I agree that this sounds like a mechanical issue. For example, maybe one or more saddles in the bridge has a bur that is creating an additional vibration of the string(s), hence the weird overtones.

ZolloKaptain, do you have another Strat that does not have this issue, that you can remove its saddles and try installing those saddles, one by one on your problem Strat, until you identify which saddle(s) has the issue?

Another option: bring the guitar to a tech and have him specifically check the saddles for this issue. Being a tech, he may be able to file the saddle(s) to resolve the bur versus having to replace the trouble saddle(s). While in his hands, i'd have him check that some fault in the nut is not causing this either. Really, have the tech check any and all likely candidates, like the frets as well.

Aniother option: a quick internet search shows that a replacement set of Strat saddles is not expensive to give a try - i.e. on the order of just $20. If your budget could afford it, i would not get the same MIM saddles - i would upgrade to a higher quality part. Just ensure the replacement saddle type is compatible with your MIM bridge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200111_053539.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	5817970
                      Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 01-11-2020, 05:06 AM.
                      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
                        I agree that this sounds like a mechanical issue. For example, maybe one or more saddles in the bridge has a bur that is creating an additional vibration of the string(s), hence the weird overtones.

ZolloKaptain, do you have another Strat that does not have this issue, that you can remove its saddles and try installing those saddles, one by one on your problem Strat, until you identify which saddle(s) has the issue?

Another option: bring the guitar to a tech and have him specifically check the saddles for this issue. Being a tech, he may be able to file the saddle(s) to resolve the bur versus having to replace the trouble saddle(s). While in his hands, i'd have him check that some fault in the nut is not causing this either. Really, have the tech check any and all likely candidates, like the frets as well.

Aniother option: a quick internet search shows that a replacement set of Strat saddles is not expensive to give a try - i.e. on the order of just $20. If your budget could afford it, i would not get the same MIM saddles - i would upgrade to a higher quality part. Just ensure the replacement saddle type is compatible with your MIM bridge.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102763[/ATTACH]
                        Unfortunately, I do not have another Strat, so when I was testing whether the problem was a result of my amp or my guitar I had to go to guitar center and rent a crappy guitar.

To me it feels as though the sound isn't coming from the neck, but I imagine it doesn't have to be if the truss rod or nut is making the strings vibrate strangely.

I was considering going to a tech today with all the information that I've gotten from here, so it's funny that you suggested it.

Yeah, I could probably pretty easily get myself a set of saddles, so I'll consider that after maybe going to a tech.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
                          Hi,

Sorry for the late answer, I've been more than busy yesterday.

Regarding the comp: once the "output" pot set high enough (IOW: noticeably higher than unity gain), it shouldn't sound dull. At least it doesn't IME.

Regarding this issue of harmonic peaks: I stand on the idea that it's due to a mechanical problem but to my ears, it involves something that the string faintly touches while vibrating and when it's bent.
                          I don't know if this "something" has to do with the saddles (whose grooves would be unproperly shaped) or frets. I'd need to have the guitar in my hands to understand what happens and anyway, that's the kind of things that I usually solve empirically, by swapping, unscrewing and rescrewing anything in relation with the vibrating strings until the problem disappears...

All I can do right now is to state that in my expericence, MANY elements in a Strat can generate parasitic sounds. Example: https://hazeguitars.com/blog/how-to-...-bridge-screws
                          Hey, even a loose truss rod can rattle in the neck, so it's not as if such things were easy to trouble-shoot, especially online...

I wish you'll find a solution.
                          You're completely right that the compressor sounds less and less dull the more the output is pushed. However, I have noticed that if I want to slightly lessen the issue with a comp that pushing the output too far over unity really resurfaces it, and sometimes makes it worse depending on other settings.

Although I believe a comp isn't a bad temporary solution for clean sounds, it doesn't feel quite right to be putting compression on a bunch of distortion when there's already going to be natural compression occuring from within my tube amp.

Also, before you noted that Gilmour uses a compressor, and you're right, but he's only used one in his rig during and after the Animals album, if I'm remembering correctly. Which means, a good deal of his clean sounds and distorted sounds went without compression within his chain in DSOTM, WYWH, and Meddle. Also if I know anything about Alan Parsons, the audio engineer for DSOTM, he doesn't like using compression, so he only used mild compression on everything but the drums. Meaning David's guitar sounds likely got on recordings with no compression in his rig, except natural amp compression, and barely any compression in post.

This is one reason I'm a little hesitant to use heavy compression on my guitar to recreate those tones. However, I still agree that a compressor is a very helpful asset in the right situation, and honestly I should still be using it a little more in my rig --it's not quite the 1970's anymore--

Also, this is a nice article you linked, thanks!

Comment

I was wondering about this, focusing more on the pickup- have you tried any other pickup in there, or do you have another laying around you can try?
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

rubber surgical tubing is the best fix I've found, other than the noiseless(coated) springs

Comment

The big clue to me is that you have heard this when the guitar was not plugged into an amp....to me that suggests the elimination of the pickup as the culprit and reinforces my original suggestion that some physical or mechanical component is vibrating or causing a string to sympathetically vibrate.

I’d proceed with the Investigation with the guitar unplugged and try to narrow down where the vibration is emanating from.

Comment

Working...
                                X