Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SSL-5 Bridge PUP Sounds Bright And Harsh

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    The big clue to me is that you have heard this when the guitar was not plugged into an amp....to me that suggests the elimination of the pickup as the culprit and reinforces my original suggestion that some physical or mechanical component is vibrating or causing a string to sympathetically vibrate.

I’d proceed with the Investigation with the guitar unplugged and try to narrow down where the vibration is emanating from.
    Yes, I agree with this approach, it just means that there are a few things I need to check like the nut, truss rod, bridge, and saddles. Unfortunately, I don't really have the experience servicing them so I was probably going to bring it to a tech when I get the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I was wondering about this, focusing more on the pickup- have you tried any other pickup in there, or do you have another laying around you can try?
      I do not have an entirely different set of pickups. I do have the stock bridge lying around somewhere, but as each of these pickups are experiencing this issue to different degrees, and since I hear the issue when not plugged in, I don't see much merit in switching just the bridge.

Comment

But can we eliminate that it is the SSL-5? I am thinking it is mechanical as well.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          But can we eliminate that it is the SSL-5? I am thinking it is mechanical as well.
          Yes, I believe so.

Comment

Originally posted by ZolloKaptain View Post
            Yes, I agree with this approach, it just means that there are a few things I need to check like the nut, truss rod, bridge, and saddles. Unfortunately, I don't really have the experience servicing them so I was probably going to bring it to a tech when I get the time.
            Yep....that’s a good idea. I try to do as much as I possibly can by myself but I have a local shop that I’ll take my stuff to when I can’t figure it out. Nothing wrong with that.
            Let us know how you make out. I really want to know the solution to this puzzle.

Comment

Well unfortunately, I just had a bad experience with a tech.

I went to a local shop today because, for the most part, I like to support local business. They had a guy there who looked a little older, but seemed to know his stuff from the conversation we struck up, but that all changed when I asked him if he could diagnose my issue, directing him specifically to the possibility of sympathetic vibrations with the bridge.

What he did first was plug the guitar into a very small amp there and kept the volume relatively low. As I was explaining this interesting issue we have been discussing here on this forum, he played the guitar softly with his fingers, no pick. So, although I could hear the problem, since I'm used to it, I did notice that the issue was relatively quiet because he was playing with his fingers and at a pretty low volume. However, I had with me a friend, who confirmed that I was not crazy as he too could hear the problem albeit quieter than usual.

I attempted to tell him that it might be easier to hear if he used a pick and maybe played a little louder, I wanted to remain respectful because I didn't want to tell him how to conduct his business, but at the same time I was trying my hardest to recreate the issue for him. He simply dismissed the suggestion, saying it sounded completely fine to him. He then went on a little rant about how all stratocasters sound shrill and that I can't really do anything about that, other than wiring a tone pot. To that I told him how I have to turn the tone knob to about 5 or 6 before that issue is completely gone on that pickups that have tone control, a point where the sound is just pretty muddy. He assured me that it was supposed to be that way.

When I tried to provide him with some more information, he was just simply dismissive and told me there wasn't any problem at all.

All of this happened in about the span of two minutes. In two minutes he decided that my guitar was perfectly functioning and that I must have been so ignorant of the history of stratocasters that I came into the shop not knowing that what I thought was a problem was actually just a given.

I don't think I'm going there again. Next stop will be Guitar Center, mainly because I know a tech there who is pretty understanding and is willing to actually work with you, not dismiss you within two minutes. Unfortunately, I will have to wait until Thursday.

Comment

Well that sucks. Sorry you had that experience.

Comment

Well unfortunately, I just had a bad experience with a tech.

I went to a local shop today because, for the most part, I like to support local business. They had a guy there who looked a little older, but seemed to know his stuff from the conversation we struck up, but that all changed when I asked him if he could diagnose my issue, directing him specifically to the possibility of sympathetic vibrations with the bridge.

What he did first was plug the guitar into a very small amp there and kept the volume relatively low. As I was explaining this interesting issue we have been discussing here on this forum, he played the guitar softly with his fingers, no pick. So, although I could hear the problem, since I'm used to it, I did notice that the issue was relatively quiet because he was playing with his fingers and at a pretty low volume. However, I had with me a friend, who confirmed that I was not crazy as he too could hear the problem albeit quieter than usual.

I attempted to tell him that it might be easier to hear if he used a pick and maybe played a little louder, I wanted to remain respectful because I didn't want to tell him how to conduct his business, but at the same time I was trying my hardest to recreate the issue for him. He simply dismissed the suggestion, saying it sounded completely fine to him. He then went on a little rant about how all stratocasters sound shrill and that I can't really do anything about that, other than wiring a tone pot. To that I told him how I have to turn the tone knob to about 5 or 6 before that issue is completely gone on that pickups that have tone control, a point where the sound is just pretty muddy. He assured me that it was supposed to be that way.

When I tried to provide him with some more information, he was just simply dismissive and told me there wasn't any problem at all.

All of this happened in about the span of two minutes. In two minutes he decided that my guitar was perfectly functioning and that I must have been so ignorant of the history of stratocasters that I came into the shop not knowing that what I thought was a problem was actually just a given.

I don't think I'm going there again. Next stop will be Guitar Center, mainly because I know a tech there who is pretty understanding and is willing to actually work with you, not dismiss you within two minutes. Unfortunately, I will have to wait until Thursday.
                  Yeah, it is insulting to be treated that way, i totally understand you. But on the bright side, you got to find out how poor of a tech he is and how poor his customer service skills are, without having to leave the guitar with him for 5 days just for him to contact you and say he doesn't think there is a problem. He saved you some time. Consider yourself lucky.

The effort you invest now to find a good and reliable guitar tech, will pay off for you in the future because next time you will already know who can do good work for you.

Keep us updated!
                  Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

That is frustrating, and even sadder that it points you to Guitar Center. Sure, some techs there may know their stuff, but keep in mind there are a lot of 'I took my guitar to Guitar Center' stories on this forum.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Update:

I'm really conflicted now after I went to another local repair shop. This time, the experience was nice, and the tech there was very friendly and allowed me to demonstrate the issue plenty, to the point where I heard the issue ringing loud and clear. Unfortunately, he didn't really seem to notice it very much, he was an older gentleman so I guess it might still be possible that he couldn't hear all those high overtones. However, after he couldn't hear the issue, he brought out another guitar, incidentally a guitar loaded with Duncans, and played on the high register for me and I could hear the issue just as bad there. The guitar he demonstrated on was not a Fender, but had two Duncan humbucking pickups. Since I was so stupefied that I heard this issue just as bad in another guitar, I forgot to ask about the brand of the guitar but hopefully that doesn't make much difference.

I know Freefrog came up with a graph that demonstrated these harmonic peaks, so I wonder if this is present in all guitars, to some degree. He said that the guitar was set up well, and the guitar looked in great condition so I have no reason to suspect the guitar really had any issues. Of course I realize that with strings ringing, there are always going to be many resulting overtones, but in the high register it's almost unbearable for me and the few people I've shared this issue with. What then can I do about this?

He did mention that the guitar wasn't quite set-up right. He believed that the bridge saddles were generally ok, but needed some adjustment in terms of the action and angle, as it didn't quite conform to the shape of the neck. Since, I imagine the other guitar I head the issue on was set-up by him, I can't imagine doing this set-up would relinquish the issue. He seemed to find that there wasn't any issue with the strings buzzing against something. He did however find that bends "choke up" a little, which he believed his set-up would fix.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Comment

Update:

I'm really conflicted now after I went to another local repair shop. This time, the experience was nice, and the tech there was very friendly and allowed me to demonstrate the issue plenty, to the point where I heard the issue ringing loud and clear. Unfortunately, he didn't really seem to notice it very much, he was an older gentleman so I guess it might still be possible that he couldn't hear all those high overtones. However, after he couldn't hear the issue, he brought out another guitar, incidentally a guitar loaded with Duncans, and played on the high register for me and I could hear the issue just as bad there. The guitar he demonstrated on was not a Fender, but had two Duncan humbucking pickups. Since I was so stupefied that I heard this issue just as bad in another guitar, I forgot to ask about the brand of the guitar but hopefully that doesn't make much difference.

I know Freefrog came up with a graph that demonstrated these harmonic peaks, so I wonder if this is present in all guitars, to some degree. He said that the guitar was set up well, and the guitar looked in great condition so I have no reason to suspect the guitar really had any issues. Of course I realize that with strings ringing, there are always going to be many resulting overtones, but in the high register it's almost unbearable for me and the few people I've shared this issue with. What then can I do about this?

He did mention that the guitar wasn't quite set-up right. He believed that the bridge saddles were generally ok, but needed some adjustment in terms of the action and angle, as it didn't quite conform to the shape of the neck. Since, I imagine the other guitar I head the issue on was set-up by him, I can't imagine doing this set-up would relinquish the issue. He seemed to find that there wasn't any issue with the strings buzzing against something. He did however find that bends "choke up" a little, which he believed his set-up would fix.

Anyone have any thoughts?
                        I've had same experience with certain overtones that simply sound awful to me. Which is one reason I've been working on it.

Trem spring I mentioned earlier is one thing. Easy trick to reduce, or even get away of it is to dial your guitar overly dark, and add treble boost in front of amp, which often smoothens out high end.

Also, reducing gain clears high overtones too.

The cap/resistor setups freefrog explained are one way to reduce it.

Guitar speakers are major part to subdue or increase either wrong or just right overtones:
                        Eminence Governor, both WGS speakers I've tried (Vet30, ET65), V30 as well as even Greenback all have had noticeable, and annoying harshness and sizzle in high register that really bugged me. G12H30, despite being bright seem to lack it, there's just flat, singing high end. V12 was another that didn't have it, but it was really too dark in cab I had it in.
                        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

So 2 different guitars with maybe 2 scale lengths and differing style pickups show the same issue.......and I'm assuming that the amp that it was tested on to determine this is different to the amp at home - removing that aspect from the equation too.

Its perhaps an issue with your ear in particular then??
                          Of course mechanical issues like slight buzz could be an issue - even on the shop guitar which would have a 'good' setup......especially as a good setup for one person is in no way a guarantee of a good setup for another.

If you can do more testing, maybe it can be confirmed that this is not a guitar/pickup issue specifically.

In that case maybe the offending tone could be removed with a notch filter on the amp.....something set up such that you don't lose a bunch of other important frequencies in the process.
                          Last edited by AlexR; 01-14-2020, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Forgot that this was about SSL-5... That pickup does really have prominent high mid sparkle despite output. I have it in middle position, and usually always either use muff type fuzz or play with non-treble bleed volume and careful touch when using it on it's own.

You could try SSL-7 in the bridge...
                            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

the initial complaint was about the ssl5 but now a different guitar with buckers is displaying the same quality so i dont think we can blame the ssl5. compared to the ssl1 for example, the ssl5 doesnt have much sparkle.

as far as the setup question, yes you can adjust the guitar so bends dont choke out. if you arent running into that issue, then i wouldnt bother.

Comment

Yes, the ssl-5 was determined to not be the source of the issue a little bit ago as all pickups on my guitar were experiencing the issue. I would change the title to more aptly describe the issue but I'm not sure how to do so.

Comment

Working...
                                X