• Show
Clear All

Re: Didn't blow up my amp today

^ Ya and there's no feedback.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

So if you play your amp without the speaker plugged in, it will blow up?
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

You can fry your output transformer playing a tube amp with no load.
        You can also fry your output transformer using a mismatched load.

If you're lucky sometimes you can get away with small mistakes.

If you have a tube problem or a tube crap out lots of times it takes out other components as well leading to costly repairs.

For best results always match impedance & have regular maintenance to Thermionic Valve Amplifiers.
        Last edited by JMP/HBE; 01-14-2020, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Some amps can handle a mismatch better than others. My Mesa has this as a 'feature' for a different tone as long as you don't go too high or low. Read the manual before you attempt this, and if you still don't know, consult the manufacturer.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
            Solid State, no, tube amp, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
              Solid State, no, tube amp, yes.
              +1
              I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Huh. I just dodged same bullet last weekend at rehearsal.

I always bring my tube amp when playing with band. Except last weekend I wanted to try my miniamp board. Hooked everything up, and no sound. Went through connections and everything until thought that Mooer had bitten by frost (it spent night in my car in -12 C).

Yesterday I remembered that when putting speakers in my new cab couple of weeks back I just used stock connectors in there. I always solder them, but this time was just feeling lazy...

Well, wire had disconnected inside... Never again. You can guess how relieved I was, that just by happenstance I didn't have my tube amp to idle there through troubleshoot without a load!
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Working...
                X