RWRP humbucker, wiring color code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RWRP humbucker, wiring color code

For a Seymour Duncan humbucker that comes from the factory already set up as Reverse Wind Reverse Polarity (RWRP), is its wiring color code the same as usual? i.e. Screw coil wire colors are still red and green with green being the Start wire? And Slug coil wire colors are still black and white with black being the Start wire?

And, do most major pickup manufacturers -particularly Dimarzio - take the same approach as Seymour Duncan in this scenario?

Thanks
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Re: RWRP humbucker, wiring color code

In the Fender Showmaster for example the neck pickup has the neck pickup with reverse polarity for the magnet. The Seymour Duncan SH1-N is the neck pickup in it. You know it right away as it has a black base plate to it for some reason this was 5+ years ago I had one. This is to achieve a certain wiring. I've seen Ibanez do this wiring on a lot on various models such as the RG7321, RG1527 and others I'm not going to bother remembering. I highly recommend that wiring as it's brilliant and with the cortek switch not difficult to do.

If that's the case the wiring to work with other humbuckers wire it as if you're trying for out of phase. For the Fender Showmaster and the Ibanez guitars they went through all this extra effort to make position 2 and 4 unique. So in position 3 an "RP" neck pickup and a standard humbucker won't be out of phase.
    green - hot lead
    red / white - coilsplit
    black / bare - ground

unless a custom shop request I'd honestly be surprised if there is such a thing as an RWRP production model Seymour Duncan humbucker. I know of just the "RP" (Reverse magnetic polarity) humbuckers like the rare occasion of someone getting a showmaster or those RG models but besides that the hundreds of pickups I de-soldered out of guitars there was no accentuation aside from just Trembuckers.

For the Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan pickups in the same guitar now. I don't have any Dimarzio pickups at the moment so I did a bit of googling and from a few sources all point to both being compatible. Now coilsplitting may be a whole different story if your wiring calls for it.
    Last edited by shadowfire90; 01-05-2020, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowfire90 View Post
      green - hot lead
      red / white - coilsplit
      black / bare - ground
      You said you observed that on a Seymour Duncan SH-1 Neck Reverse Polarity pickup.

With respect to my original question, can you confirm my theory/guess that Red and Green wires on that pickup were affiliated with the Slug coil, and White and Black wires were affiliated with the Screw coil?
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by shadowfire90 View Post
        In the Fender Showmaster for example the neck pickup has the neck pickup with reverse polarity for the magnet. The Seymour Duncan SH1-N is the neck pickup in it. You know it right away as it has a black base plate to it for some reason this was 5+ years ago I had one. This is to achieve a certain wiring. I've seen Ibanez do this wiring on a lot on various models such as the RG7321, RG1527 and others I'm not going to bother remembering. I highly recommend that wiring as it's brilliant and with the cortek switch not difficult to do.

If that's the case the wiring to work with other humbuckers wire it as if you're trying for out of phase. For the Fender Showmaster and the Ibanez guitars they went through all this extra effort to make position 2 and 4 unique. So in position 3 an "RP" neck pickup and a standard humbucker won't be out of phase.
        green - hot lead
        red / white - coilsplit
        black / bare - ground

unless a custom shop request I'd honestly be surprised if there is such a thing as an RWRP production model Seymour Duncan humbucker. I know of just the "RP" (Reverse magnetic polarity) humbuckers like the rare occasion of someone getting a showmaster or those RG models but besides that the hundreds of pickups I de-soldered out of guitars there was no accentuation aside from just Trembuckers.

For the Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan pickups in the same guitar now. I don't have any Dimarzio pickups at the moment so I did a bit of googling and from a few sources all point to both being compatible. Now coilsplitting may be a whole different story if your wiring calls for it.
        I think you've sufficiently skirted the question and muddied up the answer to the point of responding..."huh?"
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that a pup that comes RWRP is wound that way internally and the colored wires are the same...green is ground, red + white are the series link, black is hot.

You can take a regular pup and make it function as RWRP by flipping the magnet and installing the pup with green as hot and black as ground. If you don't flip the magnet you will be out of phase with the other installed pup.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that a pup that comes RWRP is wound that way internally and the colored wires are the same...green is ground, red + white are the series link, black is hot....
            If green remains as ground, black remains as hot, etc., then i believe that means that red&green get affiliated to the Slug coil in this scenario, and black&white get affiliated to the Screw coil in this scenario. I am looking for confirmation about coil specifics, too.

Comment

Bump. SD ambassadors? Paging Mincer....

Comment

I had a rw/rp humbucker and single coil ordered. Both came with the wiring as 'normal'...black was hot, green ground. This is just 2 examples, but that's what I got.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I had a rw/rp humbucker and single coil ordered. Both came with the wiring as 'normal'...black was hot, green ground. This is just 2 examples, but that's what I got.
                  Thanks Mincer. An earlier question from above remains outstanding though: if the wiring colors remain "normal" (i.e. Black is still Hot, Green is still Ground), that means Black and White wires are connected to the Screw coil, and Red and Green are connected to the Slug coil? (Where in non-RWRP SD pickups, green& red are Screw, and black&white are Slug.) Yes?

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
                    Thanks Mincer. An earlier question from above remains outstanding though: if the wiring colors remain "normal" (i.e. Black is still Hot, Green is still Ground), that means Black and White wires are connected to the Screw coil, and Red and Green are connected to the Slug coil? (Where in non-RWRP SD pickups, green& red are Screw, and black&white are Slug.) Yes?
                    I didn't have to check in the pickups I installed. I would assume what is connected is backwards from normal.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                    X