What Head?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Head?!

my birthday is next month and i am really debating on what to do. i think that it's time to get rid of my old POS Kustom 80W and my boss metal zone that i have been using for about a year now. it sounds too brittle it's not full sounding. so i want to get a head. i was going 2 get the Peavey XXL, but i am not gonna have that kinda money, im only gonna have about 400. so i was looking at the Peavey Supreme XL, and i noticed that it's the same as the XXL jsut with 2 channels instead of 3 and there's no Ohms switch. other than that it is about the same. i am going 2 go try them both out 2 see how they sound back to back. then i went off topic and was thinking, i am a song writer. i have written about 7 songs in the past year, and i have only been play for almost 2 so i think that makes me one. i want a digital recorder, i dont want those tape recorders, i want a decent recorder, they make the Fostex 8 track digital recorder but ihav heard that the memory card thats on there hols like 5 minutes worth of stuff, and some alot of my songs are from 5-7 minutes long. so now i dont know what to do, am better off getting the new rig and waiting so i have get a real good recorder or get a recorder and wait and get a good head?.......sorry 2 keep you so long w/ this thread...

Have you thought about recording on your pc...its much easier to edit tracks and stuff that way and you can just download some drum machines...?
    Marshall JVM 410C
    Mesa Boogie DC-3
    ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
    1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
    2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
    2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
    1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
    2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
    1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

If it were me, I'd get the amp head and then the recorder later. Who knows how much that new amp head could inspire you?, especially considering your old amp sounded bad to your ears.
      Originally posted by kevlar3000
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      Better is often the enemy of good
      Originally posted by ginormous
      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

i record through my computer now, but it's w/ a mic and it sounds pretty bad, i have cakewalk though so can record through the computer, i am leaning towards the head because my band is finally starting 2 get some gigs

Comment

anyone else, also, i jsut got a thing in the mail from my guitar shop.....March 18th buy any guitar get any different guitar of equal or lesse value...FREE, i dont know if i can pass that up lol

Comment

Forget the new market. Go used. Buy one, get one free, means
            they full-pop you on one, then make it look like the other one is free.

$400 new means you get something worth $250.
            $400 used means you get something that someone else paid
            $800 for.

The amp heads I'd look for are
            Marshall DSL-50 well used, 2204, 2205, 2203, 2210
            basically any for $400

Any Mesa you can find for $400

Peavey 5150, XXX, or Classic 50 or 100 head. XXL is rubbish.

Carvin Legacy 100

Crate Blue Voodoo

Ampeg tube guitar head. Not the solid state ones.

Your computer, Pro Tools 001, and M box would be a good start.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Get the head, no doubt. Hope you take no offense to this, but if you upgrade from the Kustom, you'll be changing not only the tone but a whole level of inspiration and appreciation. Now the only question is, which amp? Dealing with the $400 price range, and knowing that you play metal, I'd lean towards a DSL50. Definetely going to be looking in the used section. If you want to go solidstate however, there's no better choice to my ears than a Crate GLX series amp. Those are great amps, when you're not trying to knock down walls infront of you. Anyway, good luck.

Comment

well the guitar shop i go to doesn't have too much used things so i am kind of limited, i am gonna go w/ the head, and check out the amps that are there, if theres nothing worth buying i'll save up and wait till i can get somrthing pleasing to my ears. btw are the soundclips on the peavey site altered in anyway, because they sound pretty good (thats of the XL Supreme)

Comment

Go with what gearjoneser said! Go used, its the best way to go and you'll get something great for a great price.

I find with used gear that a lot of people who sell good quality gear also take good care of them because they appreciate it.
                  My Soundclick page.

Comment

Definatley get the head first, then worry about the recording stuff later. For $400 you might be able to get a Blue Voodoo or a Laney..just to name a few. Check ebay to see what people are selling in your price range to get an idea of what to look for.
                    -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
                    Vox VT15
                    Washburn D10SCE
                    Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Comment

Working...
                    X