No announcement yet.

The Counterfeiters are Getting Better!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Counterfeiters are Getting Better!

As a poor sample, here's a close-up on some recent fake Duncans:

These have a few obvious discrepancies to those who know what to look for, such as the rounded corners on the mounting tabs, tapered ends on the pole pieces, and the silver colored baseplate mounting screws. Not that the average player/consumer would ever be able to tell at a glance.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM...counterfeiters are also making even more realistic versions with the correct looking squared mounting tabs, standard screw poles, and brass baseplate screws!

The traditional SD retail boxes are now being copied, as well, at least that I can find for the SH-1/SH-2/SH-4 models:

Heck, they're even making SD-stamped "Trembucker" style baseplates!

It's getting harder to distinguish fake from real. If I were SD, I'd switch things up a bit (packaging, stampings/markings, maybe use a holographic sticker, etc) and post an advisory with picture examples of counterfeit pickups on their website!
    Last edited by Masta' C; 01-06-2020, 03:57 PM.

Re: The Counterfeiters are Getting Better!

This is good info, and I completely agree. I for one would not have recognized these as fakes in a million years.
    Last edited by Sirion; 01-06-2020, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Wow...
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Holy crap! I wouldn't be able to tell that was fake.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Do you have a link where you bought these?
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Are you sure those are actual fakes? A lot of counterfeiters use images of real products. Unless you actually have those pickups in your posession?

Are these crooks knocking off other brands as well, or just SD?

Comment

If I suspected I had a set of fake Duncans, could Seymour & Company eyeball them and make a determination?
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Do you have a link where you bought these?
                found these:

Quality riffs in about a minute...
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

The urine yellow bobbins on the zebras sure give something away.

Comment

Consider the source! The sellers are from China. Is Seymour Duncan in China? No. FAKE.
                    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                      The urine yellow bobbins on the zebras sure give something away.
                      Doesn't dimarzio hold the patent on urine yellow

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                        Are you sure those are actual fakes? A lot of counterfeiters use images of real products. Unless you actually have those pickups in your posession?

Are these crooks knocking off other brands as well, or just SD?
                        If you look close enough you can spot that they're fakes .just very close.

The logo doesn't look right (too thick too white) the matte black bobbins and sharp edges, the slugs look weird, round mounting tabs, wrong color screws on the bottom. But they're very close

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	fake.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	5817944

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                            It's getting harder to distinguish fake from real. If I were SD, I'd switch things up a bit (packaging, stampings/markings, maybe use a holographic sticker, etc) and post an advisory with picture examples of counterfeit pickups on their website!
                            I don't know if this is such a bad thing for the duncan company.
                            The customers will have to buy new from verified sources if they want to be sure it's the real deal. So just the used market will take a hit when the fakes get more authentic, which means more sales for SD

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                              Consider the source! The sellers are from China. Is Seymour Duncan in China? No. FAKE.

That all works well and fine until someone in North America buys 10 sets and starts selling 'em on craigslist.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X