No announcement yet.

The Counterfeiters are Getting Better!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Counterfeiters are Getting Better!

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
    I don't know if this is such a bad thing for the duncan company.
    The customers will have to buy new from verified sources if they want to be sure it's the real deal. So just the used market will take a hit when the fakes get more authentic, which means more sales for SD
    A lot of us buy used pickups to try them out. If someone tried out a pickup they thought was from SD and it sucked or was unreliable they would probably post this pretty regularly . . . which isn't good for the brand image.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Even a small amount trickling into the West isn't a good thing. I can see how this can cause some problems, especially if they come here or call Duncan for help with their fake pickups that don't work right.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Time for the legal dogs to sniff those out and shut them down. Has anybody at the SD office been notified of this? I certainly would not want to end up with a fake SD pickup.

Comment

I've sent SD fraudulent seller links a number of times. Haven't seen anything happen and never received a reply.

EMG is readily aware of the growing number of believable counterfeits and have acted on some, though they are up against a counterfeiting army, which makes it hard.

I have also been in touch with DiMarzio several times, but their frontline staff are clueless. Took a call and 3 emails with pictures each time to get them to realize they are being counterfeited. They simply don't want to believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
            I don't know if this is such a bad thing for the duncan company.
            The customers will have to buy new from verified sources if they want to be sure it's the real deal. So just the used market will take a hit when the fakes get more authentic, which means more sales for SD
            That's not how it works. First, most buyers won't know they are fake, so they won't think they have to go through "verified sources", especially when it comes to secondhand items. You'll have sellers undercutting real SD dealers with similar looking stock, but not offering warranties or exchange privileges, leading to serious supply control issues.

You'll have people coming here saying that their "JB" or "Jazz" or "59" or "Full Shred" doesn't work well or doesn't sound right without any of us here, including the purchaser, knowing they're dealing with knock-offs and not the real thing. People will get what they think are real Duncans and be turned off from the company because they don't sound any better than the cheap Chinese crap that came in their guitars in the first place.

I see this affecting the secondhand market more than primary retail, but these new products pose a threat to both spaces

Comment

I would love to get those hooked up to a meter. I would bet big money those pickups are all the same wind and magnets with different packaging. I am also willing to bet they all have the same cheap ceramic magnets.

Some of the fakes are horrible like these but the ones masta' c posted are pretty damn close. These are just horrible fakes.

Comment

A year or so back I saw the double slug Duncan's on Aliexpress
                But yeah recently I've been seeing these
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Holy *&^%!!!!!

Um, yeah - I have a problem with those. Can't get Gibsons without knowing they are not real. But these???? Hell - all kinds of p[eople could end up with this BS....
                  - I buy a bunch
                  - Start selling to Mom/Pop as an "Authorized" dealer...then disappear. Or sell on-line and claim a guy said he was authorized, etc...

Two comments - Look is one thing, but how do they sound in a blind test against the real thing?

Next - I'd simply resort to violence when I found out who did this. Brutally abuse the individual who decided to do this, maim and disfigure them, leave hints like:

"He THOUGHT he could fake a Distortion. Now his face is distorted."
                  "Maybe coming close to seeing the actually Pearly Gates will help him see the error of his ways."
                  "Who knew that 59 was the number of times you could hit someones hand with a hammer before it was unrecognizable, not a year?"

You simply can-not-stop this. China has FU size, mass, and power.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

BTW, I did notify HQ. But I don't know what kind of reach legal protection has in the Far East.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      BTW, I did notify HQ. But I don't know what kind of reach legal protection has in the Far East.
                      Very little when it comes to China. We in the software game have been getting screwed over our IP for years. Sadly you can only grin and bear it.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                        Very little when it comes to China. We in the software game have been getting screwed over our IP for years. Sadly you can only grin and bear it.
                        There might be some ability to go after people in the US who say they are dealers and not on the Authorized List. But my guess is that tracking those people down (especially as this trickles into the US more and more) will be a full time job.

Comment

There might be some ability to go after people in the US who say they are dealers and not on the Authorized List. But my guess is that tracking those people down (especially as this trickles into the US more and more) will be a full time job.
                          And would it have appropriate returns? Wouldn't it be easier to ID the actual SD PUPs with some sort of hologram, RFID, watermark, serialnumber database etc. that way making the genuine stuff easily identifiable? Make a statement to customers that "hey, if this and this is not present on your product, then we're sorry to tell you, but you've been screwed". That's the part a company can control I think. You cannot control what others do. There will always be a Ling Ling or Punjabi left somewhere winding fake SD/EMG/DiCaprio (:P ) PUPs. I'd let them do it and make sure that the genuine product I make is clearly identifiable. That way the company can stand behind it's own product and will not be held accountable for sg that it has nothing to do with. Or am I obersimplyfing this?

Comment

Even a small amount trickling into the West isn't a good thing. I can see how this can cause some problems, especially if they come here or call Duncan for help with their fake pickups that don't work right.
                            As many of you here know I have worked off and on with Pawn Shops for years. Most have no clue just how bad the problems with fakes really are unless you see it first hand. AMAZING what they are faking now and 90% of it all is coming from China. It's absolutely devastating to US companies when this is happening with their products. Not only does it cost them sales but it kills a companies reputation when a bunch of folks buy what they think is a real product get a fake that is substandard and then talk about the poor quality of that product.
                            Don't want to get all into the political but will say this I support ANYTHING and ANYONE that will stop this COLD and would like to see those who are doing it pay a BIG price for this!!
                            Biggest thing we can do is if we see this REPORT IT and lets all do our part to put a stop to this BS!!
                            Guitars
                            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

The fact that fakes are getting harder to distinguish from real goods, but only cost a fraction of the price of the original is a testiment to something many already believe: that "US-made" goods are overpriced, overhyped and/or overcharged. When a company like Eastman can deliver an ES335 or LP (style) axe with all the trimmings of the originals, but at 1/5 of the original cost, the verdict is in and can't be anything else but: US is overpriced. I get it, wages are higher in the US but innovation doesn't happen in the US anymore but in China.

Yeah, the situation sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                                The fact that fakes are getting harder to distinguish from real goods, but only cost a fraction of the price of the original is a testiment to something many already believe: that "US-made" goods are overpriced, overhyped and/or overcharged. When a company like Eastman can deliver an ES335 or LP (style) axe with all the trimmings of the originals, but at 1/5 of the original cost, the verdict is in and can't be anything else but: US is overpriced. I get it, wages are higher in the US but innovation doesn't happen in the US anymore but in China.

Yeah, the situation sucks.
                                It's called "unintended consequences".

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X