No announcement yet.

The Counterfeiters are Getting Better!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Counterfeiters are Getting Better!

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
    But what guitar player wants to check an rfid tag to check a pickup
    And who wants to buy a device just to check for counterfeiting
    Sirius
    Well, NFC tags are a sort RFID chips if I am not mistaken and NFC is a pretty much ubiqitous feature of smartphones, so it really wouldn't take much of an effort... I'm pretty sure a simple app should be able to do the trick

And who would use it? Those who cannot sleep at night until they are sure that they got what they paid for. Not every guitar play fo' sure, but quite many would.
    Last edited by nexion218; 01-10-2020, 05:34 AM.

Comment

NFC tags are really easy to copy and counterfeit though aren't they ?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post

No idea, really. It's high freq radio waves, so if that is a no-go, then RFID is a no-go alltogether I believe. As I understand the benefit of the NFC chip is that it can act both as tag and reader and the tag can have a set of commands taht way instructing the reader device. I'd imagine that for example having the S/N info in a tag which instructs a dedicated app to check that S/N against a secure database would make it a tad harder to produce fakes.

Comment

The end user probably won't check/care if there are microscopic numbers on there in the end. For instance, I bought an Eastman. It comes with Antiquities. I never took them apart to see if they are real. I assume they are, they sound great, and I ain't got that kind of time. Eastman probably isn't lying to me, but other guitars by less scrupulous companies (especially vanity companies in the far east) might use counterfeit parts.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post

An RFID tag is just a way to store data in a small, electronically accessible space. The data it contains could be anything; "My serial # is XXX" to "Hi dad!". RFID chips are inexpensive enough that some retailers incorporate them into price tags.

If the counterfeiter found a lack of RFID tagging to be an obstacle, all they'd have to do is purchase a legitimate product, read the tag, program their (very cheap) tags to match and place them on the counterfeit. One more step, certainly, but by no means an impossible one.

Larry

Comment

The end user probably won't check/care if there are microscopic numbers on there in the end. For instance, I bought an Eastman. It comes with Antiquities. I never took them apart to see if they are real. I assume they are, they sound great, and I ain't got that kind of time. Eastman probably isn't lying to me, but other guitars by less scrupulous companies (especially vanity companies in the far east) might use counterfeit parts.
              And we are STILL waiting to hear those golden vibes, Dave....
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

• Change packaging design = "too much effort and time"
                • Microprint the bobbins = "adds unnecessary steps to production"
                • Holographic decals = "the counterfeiters will just counterfeit the decal"
                • RFID/NFC = "no one will ever check them"
                • Set up a consumer warning page with examples = "the counterfeiters will be able to make better counterfeits"

It's always easiest to do absolutely nothing. Unfortunately, the problem is only going to get worse.
                Last edited by Masta' C; 01-10-2020, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                  • Set up a consumer warning page with examples = "the counterfeiters will be able to make better counterfeits"

It's always easiest to do absolutely nothing. Unfortunately, the problem is only going to get worse.
                  I agree something needs to be done or it's only gonna get worse. Totally different product, but D'Addario has the number verification thing and I'm guessing that has worked okay. Doesn't hurt that verifying also gives award points towards merch purchases. Also, EMG started the hologram or whatever thing a few years back. I'd absolutely have no problem taking the time to verify/register Duncan pickups especially after reading this thread.

Comment

Easier still is a list of authorized sellers
                    And only buy from them

Oh wait there is a list somewhere right?

On used pickups, buyer beware
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                      Easier still is a list of authorized sellers
                      And only buy from them

Oh wait there is a list somewhere right?

On used pickups, buyer beware
                      This is always the easiest thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post

Or, "sales have been steady despite counterfeiting"

Comment

Originally posted by PicoRiveraTele View Post
                          Or, "sales have been steady despite counterfeiting"
                          Well, that is assuming a company is aware and makes that choice. I don't ever think that is the case. I would think anyone who has a product illegally copied treats this as a major concern. Just because the end user doesn't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening. In the end, there are 2 victims here: the company being copied and the end user. In some cases, the end user doesn't care (cool! $5 Ray Bans!), and in some cases they don't know until something goes wrong.

Comment

There was one industrial control company that sent out an email about counterfeit controls being made in south Asia
                            They were covering their own QC problems. Seems some bad units had made it out in such quantity they couldn't afford a recall
                            So the claimed counterfeit in order to absolve themselves

Not sayin anything like is the case here

I think that many of the Gibson bashers may have had trouble with the Asian replicas
                            And thought it was Gibson
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The newest generation of fake SD's are showing up in the wild. Here's a recent post: LINK

And here are pics of the pickups. I bet 99% of the readers of this thread wouldn't even know to question them. Yes, even the bottoms are engraved with realistic SD logos!

Comment

[QUOTE=Masta' C;4397536]The newest generation of fake SD's are showing up in the wild. Here's a recent post: LINK

I ordered a couple vintage stack plus on eBay today for Squid Music, 100% positive with something like 60,000 feedback. I didn’t check if they were authorized. What’s the likelihood of counterfeits unwittingly getting into the stock of any of these large eBay dealers?

Comment

Working...
                                X