Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Basswood Charvels-cant get a decent tone

I have 2 basswood rgs.

An rg3xxv with the air norton s/dactivator combo. No loss of highs with the actual guitar. The air norton s though? Sounds like the tone is on 4 or 5. I like it on this guitar.

2nd is an rg921 hardtail. No loss of high end here either. I do notice that no frequencies really stick out. Very even sounding? I have a set of full shreds with all fillister poles in this one. They are BRIGHT but not clinical. Knocking the volume down to 8 or tone to taste solves it. I had a super distortion that had that grind that it is known for. It didnt work well.

Comment

Wow, greatly appreciate where this thread has gone. Maybe i should try a Dimarzio in one of the crackles it sounds like? I have an NOS Double Whammy that maybe PERFECT for this guitar....? Thoughts? I have zero experience with that pickup but i hear its pretty mid-focused, which could actually work in this guitar' favor.
      Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
      Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
        You didn't specify what pickups you've had in them.

Maybe try a lower output / more trebley humbuckers?
        You know, you bring up a really good point. The first pickup i had in the crackle 3DR was a Screamin' Demon and i LOVED The tone. I put an A8 in the pickup-it sounded INCREDIBLE but it became micro-phonic due to the wax loss. It was bright but i thought it was just the right amount, still scooped (as the Demon is) and loved the open, what i call "jangly-ness" of the pickup. I may just go back to that and call it a day.
        Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
          I had a basswood RG that loved the DD. It did round out the highs just a lil bit but think that helped out a little bit to make it not as fizzy or ice pickish.
          Yes, you are right. I also had another 3DR that was made from parts that had a DD in it and it did sound pretty damn good, more bass emphasis but i dont remember any treble fade or dullness. Another possibility however, i have sort of gone away from DD's these days. I think i sold my last one a while ago. Gibson 500T?

Comment

Frets are in great shape. Pot is a 500k CTS, switchcraft 3-way switch. Wired by my good friend who is a 10 year guitar tech. Everything is stout on the guitar minus the JT-6. Being that it is a fractory crackle paint, i do not want to have to drill out for new trem posts and/or route the body to accommodate a new Floyd bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by STLMTLHD79 View Post
              Yes, you are right. I also had another 3DR that was made from parts that had a DD in it and it did sound pretty damn good, more bass emphasis but i dont remember any treble fade or dullness. Another possibility however, i have sort of gone away from DD's these days. I think i sold my last one a while ago. Gibson 500T?
              It wasnt even treble fade, kinda smoothed it just a hair or at least from what I can recall. Guitar was stolen moons ago, so just going off memory.
              1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
              Jackson Soloist 7 string
              ESP LTD M-400
              Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Put an IM1 in there and let it rip!
                “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Originally posted by STLMTLHD79 View Post
                  The 3DR with the Holdsworth has a JT-6 with big brass block. the other has been retrofitted with a Floyd 1000 with Floyd studs with big brass block. My MIM Charvels, 4 have A5 (Custom 5, JB(2) PATB1) and the other has a PATB Distortion. I really like how these Basswood guitars look and play (one is an orange crackle model) so getting a good tone would be very beneficial.
                  Would not have used the Brass Blocks in Bass wood for one thing. Love Brass Blocks in some woods but they round off and mellow out the top end and make the tones fatter exactly the opposite of what you want in a basswood body guitar. Used brass blocks to take the edge off and softer the attack of more than one older Carvin neck through in all maple. You Bass wood needs to go the opposite direction with a quicker attack and snappier brighter tone. Big steel blocks on the trems on those would help!
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

So, im going to try 3 different pickups in this 1988 Charvel Model 3DR (crackle finish). I know i will like the Screamin' demon (early 90s mj wound) in it, since that is what i bought the guitar with. I like the idea of the Double Whammy-i do not have any guitar with that kind of heavy mid tone. I have a Super 3 in a jackson Kelly XL (which came from an 1992 HM Strat) however, its WAY too mid pushed for me...does chug nice but thats all it does. How does the double whammy compare to the Super 3? Like a less-hot version?

The other pickup i want to try is an old MJ wound Full Shred. If i dont like it on stock form, I may make swap the bridge side for fillister screws.

If i dont like either of these, then i will go with the Screamin' Demon.

Maybe i should go a Custom Shop route... I would put a Crazy 8 in this thing however, the JT6 trem is standard-spaced. Hmmmm I wonder if they could make me a Crazy 8 with the bobbins from a PATB1 Neck (which appear to be smaller.....?) Food for thought.

OH!!! I almost forgot! I DO have a Scott Ian El Diablo.....That MAY be the ticket......anybody have experience with that one?

Comment

Demon was a let down for me. Only SD pup i didn't like except for 59' bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                        Demon was a let down for me. Only SD pup i didn't like except for 59' bridge.

This Basswood MIJ Charvel sounds great to me.

Last edited by JMP/HBE; 04-19-2020, 06:15 AM.

Comment

I went with a Duncan Thrash Factor. So far im pretty happy with the results. Its almost as hot as a JB but does not have the upper mid spike that the standard JB has.

Comment

So what are you doing with the El D?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X