Tell me about the Orange Tiny Terror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about the Orange Tiny Terror

I got offered a Tiny Terror in a trade for my Krank Rev Jr. I'm selling. I'm 75% thinking I won't do it, but I have heard some interesting clips of the Terror series. I particularly like what I've heard of the Jim Root and the Dark Terror. Is the Tiny Terror anything like those?

Will the Tiny Terror do metal? How loud is it? Does it sound good at bedroom volumes?

I like the Krank, I just want to try something different. I don't want to make the trade if the 'Terror is one of those fuzzy-sounding all-mids honky kinda amps like the Vox Night Train (nothing against the Night Train, it just isn't my thing). Is it?

Thanks.

Re: Tell me about the Orange Tiny Terror

The tiny terror is way less fizzy than the dark terror, especially at lower volumes. The mid gain crunch is a lot better. Obviously it has less gain: you might occasionally max out the tiny terror gain while the dark terror is unusable past 2-3:00.

It depends on what you're going for though. I wouldn't use either for thrash for instance, but the dark terror is amazing for fuzzy doom tones and the tiny terror is amazing for AC DC to GNR tones.

If you're looking for more classic rock tones with only occasional metal, it might be a good trade. If you're playing mostly metal, I wouldn't recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

The designer of the Tiny Terror said his goals were to make it small but loud and to have it sound like AC/DC and the Sex Pistols. He nailed it in my opinion. Add an overdrive to the front for heavier tones. Doesn't give the big booming lows that I like, but I use huge amps. I'd play the Orange first but I prefer Orange to Krank overall.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Yep everything said in this thread so far is quite correct. I mainly use my Tiny Terror in the studio when recording solos because it gets some sweet singing tones especially when cranked up loud and with an overdrive in front of it (usually I use the 805 overdrive with it but it's also responded very well to a TS9). I have used it for some rhythm stuff but if you're looking to do deeper chunky palm-muted metal stuff it's probably not going to get you there. I definitely prefer the Tiny Terror to the Dark Terror, not as fizzy and murky to me.

Comment

It does AC/DC Sex Pistols quite well. If you add a Treble Booster in front of it (I used the BBE Freq Boost), it's take you into Judas Priest and Black Sabbath Territory.

Great amp.

I didn't like the Dark Terror

Comment

I love my Tiny and Dual Terrors. I hated my Dark Terror so I sold it. The Jim Root is great actually. I would say that the Dual and JR are my favorite Orange amps of the 6 I own. The Tiny and Dual Terrors have quite a bit of gain but not a super amount. I would say for death metal for example you would need a boost. I haven't played mine live so I can't comment on that but they sound great in the room and in the mix. All the right frequencies are just there. I would recommend checking out the Dual Terror for sure since the FAT channel sounds awesome!
            Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
            OwnHammer.com

Comment

Working...
            X