banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help ! My Gibson chambered LP needs more ass .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help ! My Gibson chambered LP needs more ass .

I have a 2007 Chambered Gibson Rainforest studio LP that plays fantastic but after various pickup and mag changes it needs some real ass .
    Tried 490/498's , 59's , 59/Hybrid , and various mag changes from AII's to A5's without going to drastic in string pull and the bridge pickup still lacks low end .
    For the neck pickup I've settled on the 59 , it balances out real fine clean or dirty .
    I prefer a bridge pickup to be in the 9-12k range if possible .

Any suggestions for a fat sounding bridge pickup to go with a chambered body LP but still have a nice balanced tone to it ?

Re: Help ! My Gibson chambered LP needs more ass .

Check out the Whole Lotta Humbuckers, The Saturday Night Special, or even the Custom on the high range. None of these lack low end, and sound great across many gain ranges.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Check out the Whole Lotta Humbuckers, The Saturday Night Special, or even the Custom on the high range. None of these lack low end, and sound great across many gain ranges.
      Will the short legs on the Saturday Night Special work for the bridge position on my LP and still be able to move the PU close to the strings ?

Comment

The Custom 5 also has A LOT of low-end.

I personally wouldn't recomend the WLH here. It's a killer pickup, but I feel it has less low-end than the '59.

Comment

Alt8 will get you there. Also the Custom (if you like ceramic magnets), or the Custom 8, or Custom 5 are good choices as well.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Only mag I have not tried is a UOA5 , will that add some bass or smooth out the top end enough in the 59/hybrid to fatten it up ?

Comment

I have a 2006 that I tried many, many pickups in. I settled on the 59/Custom with A4, but I see you've ruled that pickup out. Maybe try something with A8 magnets? I tried A8 in a 59b, and it was very thick. I just didn't like the feel of it.

Comment

Double thick A2
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by BluesIsBlood12 View Post
                  I have a 2006 that I tried many, many pickups in. I settled on the 59/Custom with A4, but I see you've ruled that pickup out. Maybe try something with A8 magnets? I tried A8 in a 59b, and it was very thick. I just didn't like the feel of it.
                  I have not completely ruled out the A4 yet , just want to see what other options are out there .

Comment

For more ass you need more mass!

A pickup only replicates what is already there.

Heavier tuners like grovers, long steel studs, brass stoptailpiece.
                    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

The PATB 3 was designed to give floyd guitars the punch of a Les Paul.

Comment

My 8.1k Fralin bridge with the double thick A2 sounds pretty solid and almost fat. If you were to put a double thick A2 in a medium or hot hb, it would be fat as ****.
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          I don't think I'd agree with the SNS for adding low end. They seem to have less than any of the other Duncans I've used with the exception of the full shred neck.

Comment

Go with the Custom. It's the right pickup for a Les Paul.

Comment

Mayhem set.

Comment

Working...
                              X