banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help ! My Gibson chambered LP needs more ass .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help ! My Gibson chambered LP needs more ass .

You might try an A8 in your Hybrid. Another thought that comes to mind is DiMarzio's The Breed; they've stopped making them but some online dealers still have 'em in stock.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Duncan Distortion, for the OP problem.

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
        For more ass you need more mass!
        Incorrect. Heavy guitars have a thinner sound by nature. They sustain longer, but do not have more bass response.

A pickup only replicates what is already there.
        Incorrect, to a degree. Pickups are not microphones. Their only concern is for what happens inside their magnetic field. While you can find a pickup whose amplified output tone matches the acoustic tone of the instrument, you can also find a pickup that has a noticeably different amplified output tone than the acoustic tone.

Heavier tuners like grovers, long steel studs, brass stoptailpiece.
        Mass = sustain. Fathead-brand brass headstock plates used to be a thing for that, for LPs and Strats. Kramer had a model that had steel rods you could slide into cavities in the body to increase sustain. A doubleneck does not have a deeper tone than a single-neck, despite being almost twice the weight.

I had a 490R/500T in my LP Standard and had no shortage of low-end from either one. However, I also had a rack unit with an EQ curve set to accentuate the bass frequencies.

What other guitars do you have, and what do you play through? You cannot run different guitars through the same rig with the same settings and get the same sounds. If you've got an LP and a Strat, and your amp is set for the Strat, it's not set for the Paul.
        This is fundamental.

Comment

DiMarzio Breed.

Comment

Dimarzio Super Distortion is certainly full. If that's not enough there is the bottom-heavy Tone Zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Newcenstein View Post
              Incorrect. Heavy guitars have a thinner sound by nature. They sustain longer, but do not have more bass response.
              that's NOT my experience at all!
              I agree that a heavy les paul has less middy sound and therefore may not sound as fat too some/most? people.
              But they do have (a least the example i know/own) a ridiculous amount of low end.
              To my ears they have a more even/full frequency response, maybe even a lil scooped mids. a said: less middy/honky/nasal.
              To my ears NO mid honk sounds more full, so not thin at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post
                I have a 2007 Chambered Gibson Rainforest studio LP that plays fantastic but after various pickup and mag changes it needs some real ass .
                Tried 490/498's , 59's , 59/Hybrid , and various mag changes from AII's to A5's without going to drastic in string pull and the bridge pickup still lacks low end .
                For the neck pickup I've settled on the 59 , it balances out real fine clean or dirty .
                I prefer a bridge pickup to be in the 9-12k range if possible .

Any suggestions for a fat sounding bridge pickup to go with a chambered body LP but still have a nice balanced tone to it ?
                Seems like a Custom Custom would be the best bet to me. If you want more low end, then just a basic Custom.

Comment

Comment

Just tell it to act polite and natural, and not to go in with any pre-conceived notions of what it likes or doesn't like.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Yogi Berra was correct.
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

So I have decided after playing it more today I want some more gain out of the bridge pickup as well as some ass .
                      Narrowing it ndown to either the Custom or DD and just sell the 59/Hybrid , it's just to bright for my chambered LP .
                      I love the 59 / Ant JB setup have in my mahogany custom tele deluxe I built so I would'nt mind something close to that in the LP.
                      Maybe I'll go for the DD first and see how that spins , thanks everyone who's chimed in with some help and ideas .

Comment

The DD is a really nice pickup. Give it a try with an alnico or double thick alnico.
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

OK, let's get this equation straightened out.

Compared to the 59/C hybrid we want more bass, less highs, and more distortion. You've narrowed it down to Custom or DD. And you've decided to start with the DD.
                          Not a bad choice for more distortion and even some more bass, but it's highs certainly aren't tamed down much. They're not bad but it has the typical brittle highs you get from ceramic magnets. No worry. Put in an A5 or even an A8 magnet.

Typically the A5 has bright highs, but in a pup with high wind/high output, like the DD, you will lose some high end...that's why it works well with the ceramic mag. But the type of highs that are added back in by the ceramic are harsh, bright, and brittle sounding. Not very musical to my ears. The A5 adds back some highs but they are smooth and warm in addition to being bright (if that makes any sense).

The A8 in a DD will give you solid bass, some upper mids, and solid but warmer and smoother highs than the A5 and definitely smoother than the ceramic.

I have a DD A8 in a thin sounding Wilshire and it kicks ass...Strong bass, great mids, strong but warm highs and lots of distortion on tap.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                            OK, let's get this equation straightened out.

Compared to the 59/C hybrid we want more bass, less highs, and more distortion. You've narrowed it down to Custom or DD. And you've decided to start with the DD.
                            Not a bad choice for more distortion and even some more bass, but it's highs certainly aren't tamed down much. They're not bad but it has the typical brittle highs you get from ceramic magnets. No worry. Put in an A5 or even an A8 magnet.

Typically the A5 has bright highs, but in a pup with high wind/high output, like the DD, you will lose some high end...that's why it works well with the ceramic mag. But the type of highs that are added back in by the ceramic are harsh, bright, and brittle sounding. Not very musical to my ears. The A5 adds back some highs but they are smooth and warm in addition to being bright (if that makes any sense).

The A8 in a DD will give you solid bass, some upper mids, and solid but warmer and smoother highs than the A5 and definitely smoother than the ceramic.

I have a DD A8 in a thin sounding Wilshire and it kicks ass...Strong bass, great mids, strong but warm highs and lots of distortion on tap.
                            The DD A/8 combo is exactly what my backup plan will be for the regular DD if it needs tamed on the high end .
                            The only thing I worry about with the A8 is it has crazy magnetic string pull , not sure what effect that will have on this chambered guitar until I try it .

Comment

Chambering doesn't make a difference as far as "string pull" is concerned for the powerful A8 magnet. I've used A8 in many different pups and haven't noticed a problem with string pull. But, maybe I don't keep my pups right next to the strings. At least the strings don't buzz against my pup poles.
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

The stock ceramic would have more string pull than an A8. People notice the string pull with A8 because it's stronger than the other alnicos, which usually is what they're swapping out in favor of the A8.
                                But it isn't as powerful as C8.
                                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                                X