banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PRS MT15! (one of the most popular amps?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS MT15! (one of the most popular amps?)

I know this amp has only been out for a year or so but it seems like a very popular amp and for good reason! I love mind and I haven't regretted getting it .

The reasons for it's popularity are probably 1. That it's an affordable amp. It only costs around 550 euros here. 2. It sounds great! The cleans are good and the distortion sounds are pretty amazing! 3. It has 'big 6L6 tubes'. I'm personally not against small tubes, in fact I really love all my EL84 amps just as much as my big bottle amps but I know that other people aren't too fond of the smaller valves. So it's a smart move by PRS to put in 6L6's. 4. It's the signature amp by Mark Tremonti. 5. It's light and portable compared to most 50-100w amps. 5. It looks cool. Gotta love the blue and red lights for the different channels. It does look kind of industrial, so not as classy as a Marshall. If you're not into that I could see why you don't like the look of this amp. 6. It works pretty great with pedals. I've tried to demonstrate this in the demo by plugging in various pedals such as the Friedman BE-OD and Diezel VH4-2 into the clean channel. Sounds killer!

One cool feature that this amp has is the treble pull boost. It makes the clean channel quite a bit louder and it pushes the amp a little bit more into slight overdrive. Don't expect this channel (or amp) to do a good classic mid gain rock crunch well though. For that I would recommend adding a pedal to engage on the clean channel when such tones are needed. The clean tones are very balanced in general, perhaps a little sterile sounding but that does make it very pedal friendly. It would have been cool to have a little more gain on that channel and/or a bright switch to make it more versatile.

The distortion tones are great! This amp has plenty of gain on tap and the eq is very responsive. As can be seen in the demo I like to crank my mids and treble for more definition. If you leave those low the amp will feel looser and more soggy, which could work better for boosted high gain tones. I do recommend to try and raise the mids and treble for more midrange cut and bark. The low-end isn't as tight as an ENGL but it's also not as loose/flubby as a Recto. Boost pedals can make this amp VERY tight as I've also demonstrated in the video. It's great for rock, hard rock and metal but as I said earlier, not amazing for low gain classic rock tones. I imagine a Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe would be a great pedal to add to this amp for more flexibility.

Who else has one? How do you like it? What are your favorite settings? I would love to know!

Here's the demo. I used 14 different guitars and various styles, just to see how versatile this amp is, also with some cool pedals:

Last edited by Guitarjon; 01-09-2020, 01:45 PM.
    Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Re: PRS MT15! (one of the most popular amps?)

Owned one since last May and love the little beast.
    One thing you rarely hear about these amps is how good the cleans are. Fantastic with a lot of headroom and with the boost on will get some nice "hair" when you dig in . VERY dynamic and feels like a really good Fender.
    The Crunch side is very smooth and fat but not muddy. It's a very sophisticated modern tone that unlike most of the darker amps like this is incredibly organic feeling and touch sensitive. Most like this are so compressed they lack dynamics but not these amps!
    I'm running mine at my Church and am still working to dial it in in the environment plus we are with out some key players right now including a worship leader so not hitting on all cylinders so--.
    Here is a little old style off the cuff clean country with a MT 15 something you will likely not hear much with these amps but they can do this VERY well! Running a Keeler Push for just a little extra light crunch and a slight boost here clean side boost on.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Killer video, man! You aren't helping my GAS.

In all honesty, I am selling my Krank Rev Jr. to fund an MT15. The only thing I'm not sold on is that many reviews say it's a dark-sounding amp. It comes stock with JJ's, so that's no surprise, but in your demo, it sounds fine.

Well, there's that, and I'm far from the biggest fan of Tremonti's stuff, but I'm probably going to suck it up and get it anyway, LOL.
      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-09-2020, 11:26 AM.

Comment

We are right now at Church far from hitting on all cylinders with a couple new and very raw players and loss of a couple vocalist including teh Worship leader so that I can't really let the beast loose with the MT 15 on the gain side. However the smooth sophisticated crunch tone of this amp works very well for this stuff. This is running nothing but amp and have swapped speakers in my cab as of now to better fit the MT 15 tone wise. This is with a Celestian G12H 30 watt anniversary and have since swapped it for a WGS Retro 30 in the miced Tweaker cab I have in the back room for more bottom THUMP.
        Last edited by Ascension; 01-09-2020, 11:41 AM.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post

In all honesty, I am selling my Krank Rev Jr. to fund an MT15. The only thing I'm not sold on is that many reviews say it's a dark-sounding amp. It comes stock with JJ's, so that's no surprise, but in your demo, it sounds fine.

Well, there's that, and I'm far from the biggest fan of Tremonti's stuff, but I'm probably going to suck it up and get it anyway, LOL.
          The JJ's do make the amp pretty dark but rolling some other tubes in will open and brighten it up a good bit. Right now am running a JJ in both V 1 and 2 in mine and EH's in the rest. These amps are a LOT more versatile than most would think just don't buy one for a bedroom amp!! These are not little lunchbox practice amps they are very hard to control at lower volumes but man do they ever perform at real stage levels!!
          Here is a MT 15 rocking a big stage from the MT 15 facebook group. These little amps are NO JOKE!!

And another one from a club setting.
          Last edited by Ascension; 01-09-2020, 12:46 PM.
          Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
            Owned one since last May and love the little beast.
            One thing you rarely hear about these amps is how good the cleans are. Fantastic with a lot of headroom and with the boost on will get some nice "hair" when you dig in . VERY dynamic and feels like a really good Fender.
            The Crunch side is very smooth and fat but not muddy. It's a very sophisticated modern tone that unlike most of the darker amps like this is incredibly organic feeling and touch sensitive. Most like this are so compressed they lack dynamics but not these amps!
            I'm running mine at my Church and am still working to dial it in in the environment plus we are with out some key players right now including a worship leader so not hitting on all cylinders so--.
            Here is a little old style off the cuff clean country with a MT 15 something you will likely not hear much with these amps but they can do this VERY well! Running a Keeler Push for just a little extra light crunch and a slight boost here clean side boost on.
            Thanks for your review and sharing that video! You're absolutely right! The clean tones are great Indeed. Love the headroom, it's a lot for 15 watts tbh.

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post

Haha, sorry man, at least it's not expensive! I honestly don't think it's a dark amp at all. Just look at the settings in the video, you have to crank the mids and treble to make the amp sound more balanced. With all settings at noon it is dark indeed but noon says nothing imho. Also, presence at 1 or 2 a clock should be a good starting point as it's less drastic on lower settings.

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Woah, I just saw a recent instagram post by Mark Tremonti with a full frontal pic of the MT100 prototype! Apparently Sevendust has been using it on their record and loving it. There was a pretty clear full frontal pic of the amp. It still looked a little crude obviously since it's a prototype.
              I didn't really see a whole lot of extra controls on the front but I couldn't really make out the lettering above the knobs. There looks to be either a reverb, presence, depth or master control all the way to the left but it's hard to make out... Perhaps tonally it won't be much different from the MT15. They did work on the MT15 for years to get it just right for Mark so I assume he is still happy with the sound of that one.

OwnHammer.com

Comment

It’s one of my favorite amps. Now I don’t have to lug around an 80+lb 212 combo. I use a 212 extension cabinet with Celestion 75’s. Clean channel I run bass 11 o’clock, mids 11 o’clock treble 1 o’clock and give or take the song or night I’ll go with or without the boost. I have an overdrive pedal for a light crunch sound. Gain channel...Woa! Bass 10 o’clock mids 10 o’clock and treble 1 o’clock. Gain 1 o’clock and gain master 9:30-10 is already tearing my head off. Granted I run it in full power mode. I’ve gigged with it and was told to turn down. My bass player couldn’t believe it was only 15 watts.

Best lunchbox amp in this price range I’ve ever played. Only minor suggestion would be if they could make the boost footswichable and have it for both clean and lead channel. That’s just me being picky and I know they were hitting a price point and had to leave some things out.

My brother borrowed it. He has a 5150 half stack and an Epiphone Valve Junior so he was looking for something in between. He couldn’t believe how loud it was. He said he may as well have been playing his big amp.

It’s a keeper
                Last edited by t1r12003; 01-10-2020, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Want to try but at same time I detest most signature model anything. It helps when they abbreviate, but if I don’t listen to the player, don’t really need his or her name on my gear.

Glad to see detailed info on why this one sounds so great, helps me look past the name.
                  Last edited by DankStar; 01-10-2020, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                    Want to try but at same time I detest most signature model anything. It helps when they abbreviate, but if I don’t listen to the player, don’t really need his or her name on my gear.

Glad to see detailed info on why this one sounds so great, helps me look past the name.
                    Most just hit the MT 15 on a demo in full on thick high gain mode. The amp is so much more than just that and is VERY versatile.
                    I'm primarily a modern Worship player and adore the little amp so am NOT one you would expect to be a real fan of this amp but I am!
                    This demo really shows the range of what this little amp can do. While it's small and relatively lightweight it absolutely is NOT a good bedroom volume lunchbox rig this is a SERIOUS stage worthy rig!!
                    Guitars

Comment

Finally dialing the MT 15 in a little at my Church. Rebuilding a team after loosing some players and picking a couple young very inexperienced in house guys up so not the tightest band yet but improving.
                      Swapped the Celestian GT12 H 30 Anniversary for a WGS Retro 30 in the miced Tweeker cab in the back. It did WONDERS to fatten up the bottom and really woke the tones up this week .
                      From this morning still not getting enough guitar in the mix but---.
                      In particular REALLY loving the solo tones with this amp and running absolutely nothing but a little Verb in the loop here.
                      Guitars

Comment

Working...
                      X