tighter low end than JB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tighter low end than JB?

I have a Jackson custom shop Dinky hat has a JB. In my RR V the JB is killer. This guitar the JB low end does not sound as tight.
    80's type classic metal is the context
    What are some other options?

High gain Mezzabarba amp is my rig.

Thanks!
    Last edited by cragginshred; 01-09-2020, 04:36 PM.

Re: tighter low end than JB?

I think the Custom might do it! Pretty similar in output and sounds great for metal, but the character is different. Very satisfying low end. For me, I love both pickups , and the reason I would pick up my Custom loaded guitar is for when I want the solid low end thump the JB can't give me. Do be aware the high end is different though as well, it's sort of harsher in the highs than the JB in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Alt 8 is a good option for tightening things up without losing the JB's solo character. The Suhr Aldrich is also a nice option if you don't mind a non-Duncan pickup.

The Custom suggestion was a good one, as well. It's a little different, but really nice to have alongside a JB-equipped guitar.

The closest thing to a proper JB with a tight low end is the Dave Mustaine Thrash Factor. It's tighter and brighter, but still very "JB" sounding.
      Last edited by Masta' C; 01-09-2020, 06:38 PM.

Comment

The Custom is *great* for low end, but it doesn't have that high mid thing of a JB. Perhaps an A8 JB?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Since I was just playing one for a bit earlier, I'll say Distortion. In a 7 string tuned to A, the bottom string is tight and percussive. And deep as $%^&*.
          The six string version is proportional to the seven.
          Chunk in the trunk.

Comment

I think of the Perpetual Burn as being like a more controllable JB; its lows are nice and tight but it still sings.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I played the JB for years, and was always a bit dissatisfied with the loose low end and over exaggerated mid-hump. The pickup I found that was similar but without those two weaknesses.... The Dimarzio Breed Bridge. I do NOT like it in basswood, but it sounds great in an Alder Jackson with Maple Fretboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55
                ur mom
                Stop being a dick, Clint
                Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

It's already been mentioned a couple times, but I concur...Alt8.

If you're only concerned about a great solid low end, then, again, Custom is a good suggestion for you. But if you also want a pleasant high end to go with that bass then a Custom 5 or a Custom 8 is a better choice.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

This forum member described Voice 2 of the Fishman Fluence Classic Bridge pickup as like a JB but without any of the issues of a JB.

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

... and so did this other forum member in Post #6 of this other thread:

Comment

Tilt JB. Slug polepieces closer to string, screw polepieces away from the strings. It will give you tighter low end

Comment

Old thread, sorry. What I did with my JB in the Charvel was adding a Boss GE-7 in front of the amp and just cut some of the lower freq, think of it like sculpting the pickup tone with eq. Reducing the low end translated into more clarity, better string definition, with all the rich and crunchy mids. Compensate a bit with extra level to keep the tone thick and the sustain. Now I am thinking I may not need anyomore that Full Shred that I ordered.
                          Who took my guitar?

Comment

You can buy short pole pieces from Mojotone for $1 and they remedy a lot of the bass looseness.

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
                              Old thread, sorry. What I did with my JB in the Charvel was adding a Boss GE-7 in front of the amp and just cut some of the lower freq, think of it like sculpting the pickup tone with eq. Reducing the low end translated into more clarity, better string definition, with all the rich and crunchy mids. Compensate a bit with extra level to keep the tone thick and the sustain. Now I am thinking I may not need anyomore that Full Shred that I ordered.
                              That may be what the UOA5 magnet swap does.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X