banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to distribute double thick mags to the forum. Calling jeremy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time to distribute double thick mags to the forum. Calling jeremy.

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
    Could be cool. I have a (A5) 59n with A2 spacers and it sounds great.
    Ooooh... Got any clips..?

I'm debating a covered SH-14b + SH-1n 8 string set. SD may not have A2 for 8 string so, an A5 might do it.
    Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

Should be a good set. This might not be your application but you can hear the gloss from the A5 and the wooliness from the A2. I like the results from mixed mags.

Listen to Jazz Strat Demo by Clint Jones #np on #SoundCloud
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

reading through this thread and thought id offer a couple bits of info.

1 - Double thick mags in A2, A3, A4 and A6 currently having tooling laid down. should be some weeks before we see any parts though

2 - to magnetise properly you need a magnetic field minimum 3x the coercivity of the magnet in question, alnico 5 being about 650 oersted so 1950 gauss required, so easily done with a decent size neo magnet or electro magnet. a magnetiser that would be used is basically an electromagnet without a centre steel pole section so the pickup would sit inside with a top and bottom steel plate to contain the flux when magentising.

Comment

Here you go, double thick from the manufacturer. No glue... no polarizing or anything else https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/bar-magnets/

Comment

Ew rough cast.
            I bought them for you

Comment

Rough cast have their virtues.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Clint, I don't think the initial investment to make small batches of double-thick magnets would ever break even, due to the non-existing interest in such a product... if you care to check, the persons that showed interest can be counted with the fingers of one hand.

However, it's your money; you're entitled to use it in any way or form you see fit.

Good luck!

/Peter
                Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
                Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Originally posted by RockinProf View Post
                  Here you go, double thick from the manufacturer. No glue... no polarizing or anything else https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/bar-magnets/
                  Sadly the only double thick they carry is the narrower Filtertron one. All the humbucker-width mags appear to be standard thickness.
                  I suppose one could fill the gap, or do a sort of "aired" swap using the narrow one...
                  I've heard of guys who used a section of an old A string to de-air DiMarzios.
                  Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 01-18-2020, 02:51 PM.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                    Could be cool. I have a (A5) 59n with A2 spacers and it sounds great.
                    Where can you get alnico spacers these days? Axes R Us used to have them but now when you load the page, after a second or two it switches over to show only ceramics are available.

Is there anybody here in the States selling 'em?
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtomecha View Post
                      I like the idea of double thick magnets, but I’m real curious about side by side bonded magnets even more. Two half wide magnets demagnetized, bonded together, and charged so one coil has one type while the other one has another. I’m experimenting with prs style coil switching with inner and outer coils and id love to be able to experiment with a virtual humbucker that has a completely different sound.
                      That's a cool idea. Not sure it's workable but I'm no expert.

You might be able to approximate that kind of effect using two different flanking mags with a relatively weak alnico like A3 or A2 in the center.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                        Where can you get alnico spacers these days? Axes R Us used to have them but now when you load the page, after a second or two it switches over to show only ceramics are available.

Is there anybody here in the States selling 'em?
                        I friggin forgot dang it. It might have been axsrus or another that I forgot.
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                        X