banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to distribute double thick mags to the forum. Calling jeremy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to distribute double thick mags to the forum. Calling jeremy.

Should be pretty simple. Order unmagnetized mags from addfx then epox them together and magnetize them. jeremy, what do I use to magnetize them?
    Last edited by Clint 55; 01-10-2020, 04:45 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Re: Time to distribute double thick mags to the forum. Calling jeremy.

Ive been wanting to do this with some a5s for a while. I would rather magnetize them with a real electric magnetizer but whenever I look for local people or shops, I never get a reply.

You’d think that addictionfx would just simply offer the service all at once.

Comment

I always thought that you get yours from Britain, Clint. I thought about it but after the fees and prices, amount of time, and possible manhandling by customs, it’s not attractive to me.

Comment

Yes, I have been getting them from Britain. After seeing the last batch and how simple it seems to put 2 magnets together I thought I should start making them. I think I spent like $40 shipped for 2 mags.
        I bought them for you

Comment

Neobydinum magnet construct thingy. Had seen it in a vid once on youtube, the magnetizing/demagnetizing process is aimple. Building that construct maybe a little work I guess.

Comment

What about a group buy and see about having mags properly made to that size, not bonded?

What mags are you thinking?

Comment

That would be cool. Who would fabricate them? Cermag only sells A5 and 8 as continuous double thick mags and they bond A2,3,4,6.

I guess I don't really need any more double thick mags right now. I have my favorites, A2,6,and 8. I would like to try double thick A3 in the bridge. Also would like to not have to pay high prices and wait 3 weeks in the future.
              Last edited by Clint 55; 01-10-2020, 11:35 AM.
              I bought them for you

Comment

im not sold on the bonded thing but what do i know. as far as having someone make them, i used to get all my magnets from allstar magnetics and im sure they would make a batch if we paid them a zillion dollhairs. not sure if there is a manufacturer that already is geared up to do these things.

as far as magnetizing them, neo magnets work fine most of the time. an electromagnet is pretty sweet too though.

Comment

Stuck a bonded double thick A2 in my new Fralin and it's the best ever. I'm pretty sure it works. Another benefit would be to use 2 different alnicos.

So what materials do you use and how do you go about doing it?
                  Last edited by Clint 55; 01-10-2020, 05:00 PM.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Trying to learn lol.

I bought them for you

Comment

I received a PJ Marxx epoxy potted pickup that was demagnetized and I just placed it between two used 12-inch speaker magnets and let it sit that way for a month. One speaker face down and one face up on a stack of books so the poles attracted. In the 10 years since then I haven't had to recharge the magnet. Otherwise if you place it between two neodymium bar magnets that will charge them too.
                      Last edited by idsnowdog; 01-10-2020, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Couldn't an electromagnet be used to magnetize something?
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

What do you reckon pickup manufacturers use?
                          I bought them for you

Comment

id assume an electromagnet but i never asked

Comment

What are the resulting characteristic differences in the pickup using each magnet type with double thick vs single?

For example, does double thick just increase the output while keeping the same sonic signature?

Or does it raise output and roll off highs uniformly? Or do something to the bass end, uniformly?

Or does it do something uniquely different with each mag type?

(Asking for a friend. ;-) )

Comment

Working...
                              X