Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to distribute double thick mags to the forum. Calling jeremy.

Tone Member

Default Re: Time to distribute double thick mags to the forum. Calling jeremy.

I just finished up modding my A5 Pegasus 7 with a ceramic flank on the screw coil. I feel that I might get some degaussing issues sooner than later so I’m keeping my mind open to replacing the whole lot with a double thick A5 to get the output that I want. I got shorter hex screws initially to brighten it up. Then I swapped for an a8 and while it was interesting, it gave me less high end than I wanted and left this clanky sound in the midrange. So I feel that if this regular A5 plus ceramic flank doesn’t do it for me or changes the nature of the pickup too much, then I should try a double thick A5. With my 5/8 hexes, the screws shouldn’t really go much past the baseplate with what’s essentially a 1/4 inch magnet and spacers. I’m thinking that will keep everything brighter like I want.

Tone Member

Which brings me to ask, if we need double thick magnets, won’t we need 2 stacked metal spacers for the screw coil and a 1/4 inch plastic shim for the other coil for a typical screw/slug pickup? And possibly longer screws to mount the coils to the baseplate?

Tone Member

Name:  AF39F432-B8C1-49D5-9896-50C2612BECA4.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  29.6 KB I guess I figured out my own answer. This is the Duncan Distortion which uses a double thick ceramic. The screw coil spacer is just a standard one and the DD uses two double thick plastic spacers to stabilize the coils. I’ve read that they are just regular ones turned on the side though?

Imperator of Indignation idsnowdog's Avatar

I had a double thick ceramic in a Dimarzio PAF and I didn't notice much difference between it and a single thickness ceramic that I used later.

Yes, the DD just has spacers on their sides. I was able to use the same bobbin securing screws. My bonded mag was slightly thicker so I stacked 2 spacers.

There's a bigger difference with alnico.
    Trudging slowly over wet sand
    Back to the bench
    Where your clothes were stolen

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    there are two common options, rare earth magnets or an electromagnet. not sure what else you wanna know?
    That would be like if you asked me "please give me guidance on how to shape surfboards" and I told you "get a planer."
    Back to the bench

put the magnet between the two poles of the electromagnet and turn it on... zap, the bar is charged.

at some point in the video he talks about magnetizing briefly

Thx
    Back to the bench

Tone Member

I like the idea of double thick magnets, but I’m real curious about side by side bonded magnets even more. Two half wide magnets demagnetized, bonded together, and charged so one coil has one type while the other one has another. I’m experimenting with prs style coil switching with inner and outer coils and id love to be able to experiment with a virtual humbucker that has a completely different sound.

Could be cool. I have a (A5) 59n with A2 spacers and it sounds great.
    Back to the bench

Ultimate Tone Member DeathMetalRob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55 View Post
    Ooooh... Got any clips..?

I'm debating a covered SH-14b + SH-1n 8 string set. SD may not have A2 for 8 string so, an A5 might do it.
    Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Should be a good set. This might not be your application but you can hear the gloss from the A5 and the wooliness from the A2. I like the results from mixed mags.

https://soundcloud.com/clint-jones-2...azz-strat-demo
    Back to the bench

reading through this thread and thought id offer a couple bits of info.

1 - Double thick mags in A2, A3, A4 and A6 currently having tooling laid down. should be some weeks before we see any parts though

2 - to magnetise properly you need a magnetic field minimum 3x the coercivity of the magnet in question, alnico 5 being about 650 oersted so 1950 gauss required, so easily done with a decent size neo magnet or electro magnet. a magnetiser that would be used is basically an electromagnet without a centre steel pole section so the pickup would sit inside with a top and bottom steel plate to contain the flux when magentising.

Tone Member

Here you go, double thick from the manufacturer. No glue... no polarizing or anything else https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/bar-magnets/

Ew rough cast.
    Back to the bench

Rough cast have their virtues.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Clint, I don't think the initial investment to make small batches of double-thick magnets would ever break even, due to the non-existing interest in such a product... if you care to check, the persons that showed interest can be counted with the fingers of one hand.

However, it's your money; you're entitled to use it in any way or form you see fit.

Good luck!

/Peter
    Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
    Kolding, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by RockinProf View Post
    Here you go, double thick from the manufacturer. No glue... no polarizing or anything else https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/bar-magnets/
    Sadly the only double thick they carry is the narrower Filtertron one. All the humbucker-width mags appear to be standard thickness.
    I suppose one could fill the gap, or do a sort of "aired" swap using the narrow one...
    I've heard of guys who used a section of an old A string to de-air DiMarzios.
    Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 01-18-2020 at 01:51 PM.
    "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now."-Jol Dantzig

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55 View Post
    Where can you get alnico spacers these days? Axes R Us used to have them but now when you load the page, after a second or two it switches over to show only ceramics are available.

Is there anybody here in the States selling 'em?
    "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now."-Jol Dantzig

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtomecha View Post
    I like the idea of double thick magnets, but I’m real curious about side by side bonded magnets even more. Two half wide magnets demagnetized, bonded together, and charged so one coil has one type while the other one has another. I’m experimenting with prs style coil switching with inner and outer coils and id love to be able to experiment with a virtual humbucker that has a completely different sound.
    That's a cool idea. Not sure it's workable but I'm no expert.

You might be able to approximate that kind of effect using two different flanking mags with a relatively weak alnico like A3 or A2 in the center.