Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slash's new signatures - Gibson SlashBucker

Hi!

Dunno if there has already been conversation about this, but it seems Slash has new Gibson sig pups coming along with the new sig guitars.

Interesting.
    Burny RLG-60, Baton Rouge AR81C/GACE
    Line6 Helix LT, DV Mark Little 250GH, DV Mark Neoclassic 212

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
    Musicians are ****ing retards.
    Originally posted by ex-250
    Beer can never be the source of wrong.

Re: Slash's new signatures - Gibson SlashBucker

I saw this. I don't know, and haven't heard what how the relationship between SD and Slash is, but his pickups are still on our website as of this posting. I know these types of deals are more business than personal, but I am surprised he/Gibson had to develop another signature pickup. Keep in mind, his classic LP wasn't a Gibson, and he didn't use any signature gear yet for his classic sound. Unless someone 'in the know' from SD comes on here, what I or anyone else here posts is speculation.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm guessing Gibson probably approached him as opposed to the other way around.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Gibson willing to pay whatever it takes.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I have to assume it rankles Gibson to have to put Duncan's in one of their flagship models, especially when they sell pickups to the aftermarket in addition to making them for their OEM products.

If I were Gibson (bwahahaha!) I'd have been trying to do this from the start.

Larry

Comment

Anything to try and get out of bankruptcy at this point for Gibson will try. At this point who haven't they tried to sue. PRS to Ibanez.

Comment

Maybe it is just my perception, but modern Gibson pickups don't inspire awe in many players eyes. Perhaps, because their guitars are sold to a variety of players, and will be used in a variety of styles of music, that they make pickups that would have tonal qualities that work in as wide a spectrum of musical situations as possible. In other words be all things to all people, which doesn't work. I've owned three Les Pauls and all have ended up with aftermarket pups. I think many guys with specific tone in mind, end up moving on from the stock pickups at some point, as we see the secondary market is certainly selling a lot of pickups. They aren't being bought by guys happy with their guitars tone.

When you look at Gibson Signature Les Pauls, how many can we name that ended up with aftermarket pickups? Billy Gibbons first run of Pearly Gates had SD's. The Slash models, both Gibson and Epiphone. Did the various Gibson Joe Bonamassa models have his SD custom shops in them? I don't think Gibson can be all things to all players, and perhaps partnerships with companies like SD could make their guitars more popular, certainly closer to a players needs and expectations right out of the box. Imagine if the player in a speed metal band, guy in a modern country band, and a guy in a jazzy blues sort of band could each order a Les Paul Standard with the correct pickups for their needs. I think people would embrace that

Comment

I've always wondered, what's with the whole inner coil/outer coil zebra thing in his pickups?

Comment

DNW .... i have never wanted an EVH or Saul endorsement.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                    I've always wondered, what's with the whole inner coil/outer coil zebra thing in his pickups?
                    From the picts, it only looks like there is one with the zebra coils, rest appear to be black.
                    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                    Jackson Soloist 7 string
                    ESP LTD M-400
                    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

The zebra / reverse zebra looks comes from his original LP that he used for Appetite (and is not a Gibson). His SD sig pickups were done so that current production Les Pauls could sound as close as possible to that old one because he doesn't take it on the road anymore. It's used in the studio only now. Coincidentally, the one of the 4 with the zebra / reverse zebra has the Appetite Burst finish.

Comment

TBH...there's nothing about the APH or Slash pickups from Duncan that can't be replicated very easily by Gibson. Using the APH in the original guitar was a complete accident anyway, they were just pickups laying around at the builder's shop and Slash needed the guitar THAT DAY, so he threw them in there. That combo with the Jubilee head made Slash's "signature" sound. It's a terrific sound and I had an APH for years in the bridge of my Strat until I switched to EMG-SAs. Gibson makes very good pickups in the Burstbucker and '57 Classic series, so I think these will work well too. I'm just happy that a signature Gibson is going to be around $3,000 street versus $10,000 to $12,000!

Comment

Originally posted by crafty View Post
                          I'm just happy that a signature Gibson is going to be around $3,000 street versus $10,000 to $12,000!
                          You mean a signature signature Gibson. It was already a Les Paul, which is a signature. Now it's a Slash Les Paul. Signature signature. :P
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by crafty View Post
                            That combo with the Jubilee head made Slash's "signature" sound.
                            Slash's signature sound was that guitar and SIR #36. The Marshall Jubilee didn't exist in mid/late '86 when Appetite for Destruction was recorded, and Slash didn't start using them live until nearly 2 years later. I don't know how familiar you are with the Marshall Jubilee, but I've been playing them for nearly 20 years and they really don't sound all that similar to Appetite. Use Your Illusion OTOH is a completely different story.

This is also why Slash's latest signature Marshall was essentially an attempt to reverse engineer #36, since no one knows where that amp is these days.
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                              Slash's signature sound was that guitar and SIR #36. The Marshall Jubilee didn't exist in mid/late '86 when Appetite for Destruction was recorded, and Slash didn't start using them live until nearly 2 years later. I don't know how familiar you are with the Marshall Jubilee, but I've been playing them for nearly 20 years and they really don't sound all that similar to Appetite. Use Your Illusion OTOH is a completely different story.

This is also why Slash's latest signature Marshall was essentially an attempt to reverse engineer #36, since no one knows where that amp is these days.

The Slash AFD was a money grab plain & simple. So far off the beam from the Frank Levi-SIR amps. And those SIR amps were re-worked by Frank after Caswell. Frank Levi had been modding Marshalls since the early 1970's for Billy Squire and alot of others way before the 1980's.
                              Frank has passed and we lost a good one. RIP
                              Slash/Joe Bonamassa/George Lynch ect all endosement whores.
                              Have to be able to separate fact from fiction when it comes to music gear marketing hype.
                              Last edited by JMP/HBE; 01-10-2020, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X