Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Slash's new signatures - Gibson SlashBucker

Originally posted by Peteshreds View Post
    I'm of the mind that Gibson pickups are mostly hype. I may be biased as a metal player, but I see nothing special about the bulk of Gibson's pickup lineup. I have a (somewhat) rare '03 Gibson X-plorer Pro with a 496R/500T combo that hasn't steered me wrong, but they're also not the end-all, be-all that Gibson likes to market their products as. I have had trouble finding any other Gibson that doesn't get the lifeless (imo) pickups ripped out in favor of aftermarket options.
    Their pickups are generally designed for blues or rock, the genres that most of their customers play. Any pickup designed with a more aggressive style in mind will be superior to most metal players.

Comment

I am sure there must have been a discussion about Gibson not wanting to use Slash's current sig pickups. Maybe they cost too much? Maybe they couldn't come to an agreement on a good price. Maybe Gibson wanted a crack at it in house? We can just speculate now.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

im sure it comes down to branding/visibility/money slash is still a big name even if he isnt cranking out new music all the time so if gibson can have a gibson slash guitar with gibson pups im sure itll be a win for them

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I am sure there must have been a discussion about Gibson not wanting to use Slash's current sig pickups. Maybe they cost too much? Maybe they couldn't come to an agreement on a good price. Maybe Gibson wanted a crack at it in house? We can just speculate now.
          I think cost is the most likely reason, isn't it always the root source of most decisions to change something in the industry. Especially given the lower price point of the new models, relative to past models.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
            Not correct.

Knoblaugh created the FIRST humbucker; stacked, no less.

I wrote an amazing blog post about it, for the SD blog, but due to censorship (I still have the email thread proving that, by the way), the blog post was never published. Shame. Took me almost 25 hours to research and write it...
            Learn something new every day. Never know about that one.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
              Their pickups are generally designed for blues or rock, the genres that most of their customers play. Any pickup designed with a more aggressive style in mind will be superior to most metal players.
              Can't argue with that.

Comment

Originally posted by mojosman View Post

Maybe it is just my perception, but modern Gibson pickups don't inspire awe in many players eyes. Perhaps, because their guitars are sold to a variety of players, and will be used in a variety of styles of music, that they make pickups that would have tonal qualities that work in as wide a spectrum of musical situations as possible. In other words be all things to all people, which doesn't work. I've owned three Les Pauls and all have ended up with aftermarket pups. I think many guys with specific tone in mind, end up moving on from the stock pickups at some point, as we see the secondary market is certainly selling a lot of pickups. They aren't being bought by guys happy with their guitars tone.

When you look at Gibson Signature Les Pauls, how many can we name that ended up with aftermarket pickups? Billy Gibbons first run of Pearly Gates had SD's. The Slash models, both Gibson and Epiphone. Did the various Gibson Joe Bonamassa models have his SD custom shops in them? I don't think Gibson can be all things to all players, and perhaps partnerships with companies like SD could make their guitars more popular, certainly closer to a players needs and expectations right out of the box. Imagine if the player in a speed metal band, guy in a modern country band, and a guy in a jazzy blues sort of band could each order a Les Paul Standard with the correct pickups for their needs. I think people would embrace that
                And yet there are hundreds and likely thousands of artists who still have stock pickups in their Gibsons. As well, the pickups in 1959 were all things for all people and they're so loved. So why can't any others be? Well, they can and they are. To think otherwise is illogical at best.

Edit: sorry. I didn't mean to dig this up from last year. I didn't realize it wasnt a recent post until after I replied.
                JC
                -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
                -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
                -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
                -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
                -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
                -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

Working...
                X