Slash's new signatures - Gibson SlashBucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Slash's new signatures - Gibson SlashBucker

Hey, didn't some bonehead from Gibson get on YouTube and rant about other companies making products similar to their products? Isn't this sorta the same thing? How did that go?!

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
      Slash's signature sound was that guitar and SIR #36. The Marshall Jubilee didn't exist in mid/late '86 when Appetite for Destruction was recorded, and Slash didn't start using them live until nearly 2 years later. I don't know how familiar you are with the Marshall Jubilee, but I've been playing them for nearly 20 years and they really don't sound all that similar to Appetite. Use Your Illusion OTOH is a completely different story.

This is also why Slash's latest signature Marshall was essentially an attempt to reverse engineer #36, since no one knows where that amp is these days.
      Ah, good to know. I thought I'd read an interview with Slash when the JCM Slash came out in the '90s that he was looking to replicate the Jubilee sound because they'd gone out of production, so I assumed they were used on Appetite as well. Never dawned on me that they were introduced 2 years after the record dropped.

That's the thing about these artist endorsements. The JCM Slash probably came out in '94-'95 or so, and I was just learning to play as a high schooler. GNR was still kind of a big deal even though Alternative was killing the guitar, and Slash was doing his solo thing. I read the interview with Slash and thought, hey, throw an APH in my MIM Strat, save up some money for a JCM Slash (never did), and I'll have it made, you know?

Now I'm just a middle-aged dude who builds and hoards guitars in the basement like a cat lady.

Comment

Can't find no wrong with that. Afterall, they produced the Kirk Hammett signature Flying V (Why not? There were like 2 years of his 40 year carreer when that was his guitar of choice - as he had not much else of decent quality), the highly successful Hendrix signature Gibson Strat ( Jimi was an avid fan of Gibson's legendary Stratocaster model) and then the the Slash signature Appetite Les Paul, a knock-off of Kris Derrig's replica of a Gibson Les Paul. Business as usual at Gibson HQ.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
          the Slash signature Appetite Les Paul, a knock-off of Kris Derrig's replica of a Gibson Les Paul.
          A clone of a clone of a Gibson. Funny how that is.

Marketing:
          Hey, let's make a clone of a guitar that we didn't make but some other dude did that is actually a clone of one we did make! That'll sell like hotcakes because it's this dude who has one.

So, Gibson made a clone of a Hendrix Strat. If Fender made a clone of the Gibson Hendrix Strat, would that be legal? LOL

The whole Slash Appetite Gibsons cracks me up. Yeah, he ended up with a boatload of others and stuff but the fact that Gibson went out of their way to make a clone of a clone of a Les Paul is just hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by crafty View Post
            Ah, good to know. I thought I'd read an interview with Slash when the JCM Slash came out in the '90s that he was looking to replicate the Jubilee sound because they'd gone out of production, so I assumed they were used on Appetite as well. Never dawned on me that they were introduced 2 years after the record dropped.

That's the thing about these artist endorsements. The JCM Slash probably came out in '94-'95 or so, and I was just learning to play as a high schooler. GNR was still kind of a big deal even though Alternative was killing the guitar, and Slash was doing his solo thing. I read the interview with Slash and thought, hey, throw an APH in my MIM Strat, save up some money for a JCM Slash (never did), and I'll have it made, you know?

Now I'm just a middle-aged dude who builds and hoards guitars in the basement like a cat lady.
            The original Jubilee came out in '87, while Slash started using them in mid-'88, and the JCM Slash came out in 1996. They're cool amps, but I can't say that I sound all that Slash-like, even when playing an LP through one. Unfortunately a Strat will be even farther away from that tone, but probably still cool. Back in the mid-2000s I had a Charvel 25th Anniversary Reissue, and while the stock SD '78 sounded great it didn't sound anything like Slash.

If you're after that tone, I can't recommend that 2525H Mini / Studio Jubilee highly enough. I've had one for 2 1/2 years and it became my #1 amp once I got tubes sorted (the stock ones are pretty bad). Prior to that my #1 was a black tolex '88 Jubilee 2555. The 2555X reissue sounds pretty much identical, but these 100W Jubilees are heavy and STUPID loud. The original ones are also getting to be insanely expensive; I picked my 2555 up for $550 in 2001 before anyone really wanted them. If you're playing by yourself in a smallish room, the Mini gets 80-90% of that tone / mojo without rearranging small objects. In fact they're so close I really can't tell my 2525 & 2555 apart unless I'm swapping cables between the two.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by MichYank View Post
              Hey, didn't some bonehead from Gibson get on YouTube and rant about other companies making products similar to their products? Isn't this sorta the same thing? How did that go?!
              Well, technically, they did invent the humbucker, didn't they?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                Well, technically, they did invent the humbucker, didn't they?
                Technically, Seth Lover did, while working at Gibson.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                  The original Jubilee came out in '87, while Slash started using them in mid-'88, and the JCM Slash came out in 1996. They're cool amps, but I can't say that I sound all that Slash-like, even when playing an LP through one. Unfortunately a Strat will be even farther away from that tone, but probably still cool. Back in the mid-2000s I had a Charvel 25th Anniversary Reissue, and while the stock SD '78 sounded great it didn't sound anything like Slash.

If you're after that tone, I can't recommend that 2525H Mini / Studio Jubilee highly enough. I've had one for 2 1/2 years and it became my #1 amp once I got tubes sorted (the stock ones are pretty bad). Prior to that my #1 was a black tolex '88 Jubilee 2555. The 2555X reissue sounds pretty much identical, but these 100W Jubilees are heavy and STUPID loud. The original ones are also getting to be insanely expensive; I picked my 2555 up for $550 in 2001 before anyone really wanted them. If you're playing by yourself in a smallish room, the Mini gets 80-90% of that tone / mojo without rearranging small objects. In fact they're so close I really can't tell my 2525 & 2555 apart unless I'm swapping cables between the two.
                  Yeah, since then I've definitely grown up or at least learned enough about how music is actually recorded and produced that a. I don't necessarily WANT to sound like Slash and b. I will never be that talented. The APH in the Strat is long gone and my regular LP with PAF Classics has the sound for me. I actually installed the APH in the LP for a minute and didn't like it, so I sold it.

I have a Blackstar amp that I use now, which satisfies most of my tube tone desire, but one of these days I'll pick up a Marshall. The new EL84 powered amps they've come out with are really nice. I'll have to check out the 2525H Mini sometime, it might be a nice addition to the farm. Thanks!

Comment

This strikes me as Tiger Woods switching from Titleist to Nike clubs. When something works, leave it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by David Garner View Post
                      This strikes me as Tiger Woods switching from Titleist to Nike clubs. When something works, leave it alone.
                      I am sure he can make anything 'work'. It is most likely about the $$, and nothing else.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I doubt the care, research and iteration that went into the A2P Slash models went into the SlashBucker. Wouldn’t surprise me if the SlashBucker turned out to be a 498/490 set with a mag swap or something. His quote is telling: “these models ‘reflect’ what I play live and in the studio.” Right. But they are not what he plays live and in the studio.

Comment

I had the chance to play a slashbucker set that a buddy of mine picked up on reverb for $140. He had them installed in his LP special straight into his jcm 800 halfstack.

The bridge read 8.9k prior to being installed. Perfect softened, highend. Lows are strong enough for muscled- up root 6 powerchords. In my opinion, it's a really good set of pickups. The neck pickup wasnt as impressive as the bridge, but still very usable.
                          Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

I'd love a comparison between those and his previous (and still current?) signature models.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                              Technically, Seth Lover did, while working at Gibson.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2896491
                              Not correct.

Knoblaugh created the FIRST humbucker; stacked, no less.

I wrote an amazing blog post about it, for the SD blog, but due to censorship (I still have the email thread proving that, by the way), the blog post was never published. Shame. Took me almost 25 hours to research and write it...

Comment

I'm of the mind that Gibson pickups are mostly hype. I may be biased as a metal player, but I see nothing special about the bulk of Gibson's pickup lineup. I have a (somewhat) rare '03 Gibson X-plorer Pro with a 496R/500T combo that hasn't steered me wrong, but they're also not the end-all, be-all that Gibson likes to market their products as. I have had trouble finding any other Gibson that doesn't get the lifeless (imo) pickups ripped out in favor of aftermarket options.

Comment

Working...
                                X