No announcement yet.

Bass pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you use guitar effects pedals for a bass?

Comment

Why not? I've seem guys use chorus and flangers for guitar with bass. Even using Tube Screamers or fuzzes for guitar. There are no rules. Most bass pedals are the same as for guitar with a couple of caps changed out in RC networks to tune them for bass frequencies. I know for a fact Greg Chaisson uses a TS-9 with is bass rig because he told me and has shared pics of his setup.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

Yes, the challenge can be that Bass pedals and Guitar Pedals are voiced to take advantage of their particular audio frequency emphasis'. -so you just have to try it and see if it works well for what you are doing.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Here's an example of that. The Boss BF-2B and CE-2B are literally the bass versions of the BF-2 and CE-2. The difference is 2 or 3 capacitors in the circuit that voice them for bass or guitar. I had compared the schematics of them as I had a BF-2B that I was going to change to a BF-2 but I liked how it sounded in my guitar rig voiced for bass so I left it alone.

Comment

Definitely. Most of the pedals I use for bass are not specific "bass pedals".

Modulation and time based pedals work more or less universally for guitar and bass.

There are a lot of OD, distortion and fuzz pedals that roll off low frequencies though. That helps to keep them from getting muddy with electric guitar, but that sucks out the low fundamentals with bass.

It's always best to try a bunch of them firsthand and decide what works for you.

Comment

Yes, but some chop off some low end. It takes a bit of trial and error.
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I can tweak the frequency on the amp to compensate though, right?

Comment

You can, but the tweaks you make need to be done every time you turn the pedal on or off.

Comment

Not really. It’s much easier to remove a frequency than to bring it back. Sometimes it can’t be done. A guitar pedal can have a high pass filter for example.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220429_154142.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	6169971 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220425_215121.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	6169972

This one is for recording direct and for quiet practice with headphones. The silver pedal is a Darkglass Element which has cab sims and and a bunch of other stuff to tailor the tones coming out of the headphone and XLR outputs. It can also receive backing tracks via Bluetooth for playing along to.

This board and this collection of pedals has changed the way I approach practice and recording bass.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
                        ^ Half the reason to own gear is for the light show. Nicely done.
                        Agreed! These pedals actually sound like **** but they look pretty in the dark.

Comment

Working...
                        X