Bass pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bass pedals

As much as I’m talking about pedals, I’m cool plugging straight in, too. One of the things that got me focused on bass is how good it sounds with a cable and amp. On guitar, I’m never happy without drive and reverb.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Incoming:

SolidgoldFX Beta High Gain OD
      Boss RC 20XL
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I've been talking with my bass player about adding pedals to hi setup. He currently plays straight into his amp, but as we're a 3-piece there are times when we could do with something to bolster his sound when I'm soloing. We already use a vocal harmoniser and Boss SY-1 to add 'sprinkles' to some songs on my side. I'm thinking a compressor, a chorus and maybe an octave that gives an octave up for pseudo guitar/bass unison sounds.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

I used to only use a DBX 163X compressor, but since I got my EHX Battalion, I'm loving it. It has it's own compressor built in.

Edit: Update. My BBE AcoustiMax is giving the Battalion a good run for its money.
          Last edited by ArtieToo; 03-12-2020, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Personally, I like the higher frequencies going through an overdrive...with the lower frequencies un-effected. I have done this before with 2 amps, but I bet there is a pedal that does this.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Personally, I like the higher frequencies going through an overdrive...with the lower frequencies un-effected. I have done this before with 2 amps, but I bet there is a pedal that does this.
              The think if the pedal has the EQ section prior to the drive circuit, it’s easier to have certain frequencies distorted more than others. I’m a huge fan of my Boss ODB-3 for the blend control. I set way more gain than I really want, then set the blend so it sounds super distorted but still very punchy and clear. Lots of people hate that pedal, but I’m not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Tech21 Dug Pinnick DP-3X, DI-2112 and YYZ pedals.
                Me I'm doing so using a Peavey Alphabass preamp with builtin crossover, the highs going to a Rocktron Voodu Valve guitar preamp with builtin cab sims.

Comment

Here's my bass pedals, on a battery powered pedalboard and integrated power supply:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2885.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	5818482
                  Pretty basic.
                  I have an Avid Eleven Rack when I want more.

Comment

I'm very happy with my MXR M87:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MXR-M87.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	5818516

Comment

I was using a Tech21 VT deluxe, but I'm finding that I can cover it with my Kemper. My favorite dirt pedal for bass is the reissue Green Russian Muff and my bass player agrees, he bought mine.

Comment

Looking at getting a Studio Bass pedal to use with a Boss Ch-1. Tried the Ch-1 last week, and it sounded good.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

I just got a Tech21 DUG on recommendation and have only had a bit of play time. It’s a very powerful pedal and I’ve got some cool sounds so far, from JJ Burrell to Lemmy. I’ve got a feeling there’s a lot more to it than that, It’s just one of those pedals that I think will keep you finding new sounds. I thought I liked my Darkglass B3K but this has so much more! It feels really solid and well built for such a small package.

Comment

I use my guitar board for bass much like NoOnesFang13. From a Polytune 3, I go to an MXR M87 bass compressor (the Studio Comp is *exactly* the same, just black), then into a Nano Big Muff Pi feeding a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe. From there, signal hits a Hardwire Tube OD and Valve Distortion Jekyll-and-Hyde gain stack, then a Boss CEB-3 chorus, and finally a Neunaber Immerse MkII as one heckuva reverb pedal with a poor-man's delay.

Only thing that really changes in the whole rig are the settings. For bass, I back off the BMP's tone and gain, and boost bass in the OD/dist. Somewhere in this house full of boxes that were never fully unpacked, I have an ODB-3 and an LMB-3 from a much older pedal board, which would be a great start on a bass-only board along with the TU-2 and Hardwire reverb that I recently replaced with the PolyTune and Immerse.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

After the flood last week, all my pedals are good, but my 1 Spot did not survive. Luckily I have another single wall wart, so I've been plugging in one pedal at a time. Surprisingly, it turns out my if-i-could-only-have-one pedal isn't distortion, an envelope filter, or wah, but my Donner RevEcho. I'm really deep diving what each pedal is capable of like this, and it's very inspiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Liko View Post
                                I use my guitar board for bass much like NoOnesFang13. From a Polytune 3, I go to an MXR M87 bass compressor (the Studio Comp is *exactly* the same, just black), then into a Nano Big Muff Pi feeding a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe. From there, signal hits a Hardwire Tube OD and Valve Distortion Jekyll-and-Hyde gain stack, then a Boss CEB-3 chorus, and finally a Neunaber Immerse MkII as one heckuva reverb pedal with a poor-man's delay.

Only thing that really changes in the whole rig are the settings. For bass, I back off the BMP's tone and gain, and boost bass in the OD/dist. Somewhere in this house full of boxes that were never fully unpacked, I have an ODB-3 and an LMB-3 from a much older pedal board, which would be a great start on a bass-only board along with the TU-2 and Hardwire reverb that I recently replaced with the PolyTune and Immerse.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                                Update on this; between a work anniversary bonus and the government bribing the public with its own money, I've set up a bass-only board. I wasn't using half the stuff on the guitar board with a four- or five-string plugged in, so the smaller footprint of the dedicated board is easier to truck and more utilitarian for my bass needs, while the effects are bass-specific which reduces the need to crank low-end EQs to keep the bottom end in a TS-type OD or Plexi-ish distortion (and then have to set them back to more guitar-ish settings).

Current bass board:

1. Boss TU-2 Tuner
                                2. MXR M87 Bass Compressor
                                3. EHX Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi Fuzz
                                4. Xotic EP Booster Clean Boost
                                5. EHX Bass Soul Food Light Overdrive
                                6. Wampler Low Blow Bass OD/Distortion
                                7. Digitech Hardwire RV-7 Reverb

Very gain-heavy; it's what I use most, I don't do a whole lot of modulation-type stuff on bass, though a chorus or phaser wouldn't go unused. The DBBMP is one heckuva pedal, incorporating a Sovtek-style "Green Russian" BMP with a continuously-variable dry blend, noise gate and HPF/LPF crossover to fine-tune your fuzz so it doesn't totally take over. Even when I'm not using the fuzz, I'll set it to 100% dry and keep it on to use the noise gate to lower the floor for other gain pedals.

The compressor and EP boost are always on as well, the comp for general dynamic reasons, while the EP boost warms up my active fivers and solid-state amp while allowing me to reduce the compressor's output gain to avoid noise there. The EP Boost also gives the Bass Soul Food a much-needed push; by itself, this vaguely Klon-ish circuit is basically a color boost up till at least noon on the dial, but the EP Boost juices the input enough that I get a fuller range of drive out of the knob.

I almost flipped the Soul Food back on to Reverb based on the disappointing amount of dirt available, but oh my gods, the tone you get from this thing; edgy, raw, rough, "don't f*** with me" growl that drops in to any alt-rock hit of the last 30 years. Once I had that dialed in, I couldn't wipe the stink-face off my already-ugly mug until a half hour after I'd stopped playing.

The Low Blow is much more metal through most of its tone envelope; there's a pretty Burton-esque buzzsaw going in the high mids starting at about 10 o'clock on the gain dial that really doesn't filter or EQ back out without losing all the treble from your tone. It's perfect for pretty much anything thrash, but it takes a light touch on the controls to back it off for anything more subtle, which is another good reason to keep the Soul Food around.

The RV-7, I'm using more or less because I have it. It's not a bad reverb, but the Neunaber Immerse MkII is better for soaked-in-reverb ambient stuff that keeps me sane in these COVID-infested quarantine times. That kind of reverb doesn't work too well for most bass stuff anyway, so the RV-7 is set to a relatively subtle room tone, just backing my ears a bit from the amp in headphones and the odd recorded track.

There's one more pedal on the way, a cheap mini-size one-knob gate, which will go after either the DBBMP or the EP Booster (haven't decided yet, depends on where most of the remaining noise is) and do the gate-only job for clean or driven tones, so the DBBMP can be the fuzz it's supposed to be when I turn it on. I'm considering moving the CEB-3 Bass Chorus off the guitar board to the bass board, but I'm not sure what I'd replace it with on the guitar board. Maybe a Julia V2; she's looking as sexy as she sounds these days, but that's a lotta bux for a chorus (and the V1s aren't really any cheaper). Anyway, doesn't have to happen this month, or this year.
                                Last edited by Liko; 04-20-2020, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X