Problem with Korg SDD-3000 pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Korg SDD-3000 pedal

Hi Guys! Long time no see. I'm still around, occasionally struggling with health issues, but still alive.

So...here's what's up: I have a Korg SDD-3000 pedal that I don't use much but I do like to pull out now and then for U2 sounds.

It's literally like brand new.

Plugged it in last night and had some fun with it, then unplugged it, re-connected my Providence Chronos Delay and compared the two. As before I wound up liking the ease of operation and tone of the Providence better. The Providence doesn't have modulation or get those U2 sounds though.

So I then re-connected the Korg and it would not light up. Nothing. Dead as a door nail.

I think it's either the power supply or input jack although it has so few hours on it that there's no reason for it to fail like that.

So two questions:

1. What's wrong?
    2. Who can I trust to repair it?

Many thanks!
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 01-10-2020, 02:37 PM.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Re: Problem with Korg SDD-3000 pedal

Are you using the power supply for the Chrono or the Korg? The Chrono uses 12V and the Korg uses 9V, both are negative tip. Hopefully nothing fried in the Korg but with the wrong rated adapter, that could happen. Granted, usually the parts are rated for higher voltage than the actual power requirement for the unit and also have power protection in case of wrong polarity and such but that's not always the case. I would think it would be with those two units. Is the Korg still under warranty?

Comment

Hi Erik. I use the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power. It has 9 volt and 12 volt. I use the 12 volt for the Chrono and 9 volt for the Korg. Was that a mistake to use the Voodoo Labs Pedal Powerwith the Korg? I do have the Korg supplied Walwart but I didn't use that last night. It did work well...until I unplugged my guitar and the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power and then reconnected it an hour or so later.

Comment

Erik, I just plugged it in again using the Korg 9 volt Walwart and it works fine with that. Fires right up as soon as I plug my guitar in. So at least nothing is fried. Doesn't seem to like the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power though. Weird.

Comment

That is strange. But, it could also be a milliamp thing. I don't know what milliamps the Voodoo Laps brick rates at or how many pedals you have, but if there's not enough available depending on what the Korg requires at 9V, that could explain it. At least it is working with its own power supply.

Comment

Erik, it is a milliamp issue. The Korg Wallwart is rated at 1.1 amps. That's 1100 milliamps I think...right? The Voodoo Labs unit has several 9 volt connections. Only one is rated for 400 milliamps. I must have had it plugged into that one the first time I used it and it worked fine. But then when I re-connected it an hour later used one of the "regular" 9 volt connections and it wouldn't work with that. I just plugged it in using the 9 volt 400 milliamp connection and it worked fine. Then I switched to the regular 9 volt connection and it wouldn't light up. So I think I figured it out. Thanks man. Just talking this stuff over with someone got me on the right track. So.....how you been?

Comment

Glad that's figured out. Now the fun part is remembering that...LOL.

Been good. Had a rough 2019 so here's to a better 2020.

I hope you and the Mrs are doing well.

Comment

And even if that is the issue - hey, after 40 years crap can just degrade. A marginal solder joint or something that would have crapped out anyway...
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                X