What pickup does Mattias Jabs use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pickup does Mattias Jabs use?

The Scorpions have always had fantastic guitar tone and I was wondering what bridge pickup Mattias Jabs used?

Re: What pickup does Mattias Jabs use?

My initial thought is the Gibson 500T. That thing could cut through anything.

Comment

I watched him with Rudolf Schenker on YouTube describing and playing through Rock You Like A Hurricane and No One Like You and his tone is just superb.

Comment

I agree. I don't know what he uses these days but back in the 80's, it was the 500T. He's pretty simple with his rig too. Very raw.

Comment

I would guess he was using Dirty Fingers back in the 80s.

Wasn't the 500T introduced in the early 90s after they quit using the HB-R & HB-L?
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

AFAIk: Gibson Tar Back in his Explorer. T-Top bobbins, Indox7 magnet (a kind of ceramic), black epoxy under the whole assembly, hence the name.

They were low resistance (7.5k or something like that), low inductance (4.7H, just like a P.A.F. replica) but powerful thx to the mags used. Black epoxy instead of a regular baseplate was probably a way to avoid Eddy currents, in my understanding.

A PU with T-Tops specs (and not "space") should come close once deprived of its nickel silver baseplate and mounted on a fiber baseplate, fitted with a not too gaussed ceramic mag and possibly stuffed with additional metal core material in order to rise a bit the inductance...

EDIT: Bill Lawrence L90 in his Strat, too. So his tone was largely due to Bill Lawrence (who designed the "Tar Back").
            Last edited by freefrog; 01-11-2020, 07:01 AM.
            Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

I don;t know really but the tone in blackout was just fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
                AFAIk: Gibson Tar Back in his Explorer. T-Top bobbins, Indox7 magnet (a kind of ceramic), black epoxy under the whole assembly, hence the name.

They were low resistance (7.5k or something like that), low inductance (4.7H, just like a P.A.F. replica) but powerful thx to the mags used. Black epoxy instead of a regular baseplate was probably a way to avoid Eddy currents, in my understanding.

A T-Top speced PU should come close once deprived of its nickel silver BP, fitted with a ceramic mag and possibly stuffed with additional metal core material in order to rise a bit the inductance...

EDIT: Bill Lawrence L90 in his Strat, too. So his tone was largely due to Bill Lawrence (who designed the "Tar Back").
                Never heard of a Tar Back Pickup. Don't know what those are. Never heard of Indox magnets. Never heard of T-Top spacing. I've heard of F-Spacing and Arch Top Guitars though.

Comment

Originally posted by 357mag View Post
                  Never heard of a Tar Back Pickup. Don't know what those are. Never heard of Indox magnets. Never heard of T-Top spacing. I've heard of F-Spacing and Arch Top Guitars though.
                  Gibson 70's 'Tar Back' Epoxy Potted Humbucker, with a Nickel cover. This pickup came out of my mid 70's Gibson SG  like the one pictured. Yup that's what we did. Pull out great pups, and throw in Super Distortions. I still have the bridge pup. It's a TTOP. I might sell it on Reverb next. The...

Stamped "SEP 12 1980" this Gibson humbucker is one of my all time favorites. It came to me in a tobacco burst SG Custom from 1980 and, until recently, was my primary tone producer in the neck position of my Les Paul. These are rare; referred to as "Tar Back's" - I've only seen a few pop-up and se...
                  Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Also speaking of matthias, although i got no clue of the pups, but I got an obsession with great guitarists to find out exactly when did they actually start to play *good*, I mean way over the average. About Uli Roth I know this happened in "In Trance", before that I didn't quite like his solos. But I can't seem to find a good solo of Matthias before Scorpions, so guys if you know pls help.

Comment

Great question. I have no idea. I will say that I don't think he was ever a "pickup guy" to the best of my knowledge. Definitely a Marshall 800 guy. I think most of his tone is delay/reverb and his hands. If you are with the T-Top suggestions get a Jazz Bridge.

I know this guy is using a Duncan Distortion

Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

sub-d

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                          I would guess he was using Dirty Fingers back in the 80s.

Wasn't the 500T introduced in the early 90s after they quit using the HB-R & HB-L?
                          Yeah, you're right. The 500T came out in 1990 so a DF would definitely get there. I've always been able get a really good Scorps grinding cutting tone with ceramics like the 500T, DF and even the Duncan Distortion, as Aceman has shown, regardless of whether he used lower output pickups or not. The thing about BL pickups is that they are ridiculously clear with plenty of output.

Comment

Most of the Scorpions sound to my ears is the amp: tubes, amp architecture, speaker cabs. Most hotter gibson pickups (498, 500, DF) will get there with the right amp. Even weaker T-Tops if you roll the amp gain up.

If not using a Marshall, then it might work a bit better with hotter ceramic pickups. 500T, DF. The Duncan Custom might work as well as the Distortion IMHO. Just a matter of rolling tone knobs, volume and amp gain or boosting to get there.

Comment

^^^ I seen in older vids with his previous bands he used a normal strat, exactly like Uli Roths (maple board, white).

Comment

Working...
                              X