Telecaster Strat Hybrid Pickup Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telecaster Strat Hybrid Pickup Set

I love the Tele bridge pup, and love the Strat neck pup. Therefore, I've decided to build a Nashville Tele/Strat mashup. The pickup configuration will be Tele bridge and Strat middle and neck.

For the neck and middle I'm thinking about the SSL1 and SSL2 respectively. I'm not sure about the bridge, but I want more Tele rock vs twang. I play on the neck 80% of the time, but when I hit the bridge I want it to hit back. Maybe a Jerry Donahue for a vintage hot vibe?

I have a vintage voiced Strat (Fralin Blues Specials) and a Tele (Bare Knuckle Flat 52) so I'm also toying with the idea of a full quarter pound set to change things up a bit.

What do you think? What would you do?

Re: Telecaster Strat Hybrid Pickup Set

SSL-1 and SSL-2 are the same thing but the 1 has staggered poles and the 2 does not. I'd say your idea for the JD bridge is definitely a good one, and while it will definitely work stellar with either of the SSLs you mentioned, there may be some benefit to the Quarter Pound idea as well.

If it were me, I'd go JD bridge, SSL-1 middle, and a Quarter Pound neck. That way you have a Tele bridge, Strat middle position, P90ish rock neck position, and some cool in-between sounds on the 2 and 4 positions.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Go with 2 SSL-2s, (middle RWRP) and the Jerry Donahue, and that will be one amazing Tele even I would love.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Quarter Pound for the neck is a great idea if you play there 80% of the time. but I'd get it tapped, and a full QP for the bridge & SSL2 for the middle. Got the basses loaded.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I'm about to dive in and research tapping the QP neck, but can you provide a quick primer? I assume this is a service SD provides to tame the pup a bit correct?

Comment

I play on the neck an awful lot too. Wouldn't consider a QP there. It's too loud and too dark. Tapped will be better, but it won't sound as good as an SSL-2 there.

For the strat / tele mashup wiring, I'd use a regular 5 way switch and swap the connections for the neck and middle. Then you get the following on the switch:

Bridge - bridge/neck - neck - neck/mid - mid

This way you get the best strat sounds (neck and neck/mid) and the best tele sounds (bridge and bridge / neck) without any need for complicated switching or push-pulls.
            Last edited by GuitarStv; 01-11-2020, 09:03 AM.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              I play on the neck an awful lot too. Wouldn't consider a QP there. It's too loud and too dark. Tapped will be better, but it won't sound as good as an SSL-2 there.

For the strat / tele mashup wiring, I'd use a regular 5 way switch and swap the connections for the neck and middle. Then you get the following on the switch:

Bridge - bridge/neck - neck - neck/mid - mid

This way you get the best strat sounds (neck and neck/mid) and the best tele sounds (bridge and bridge / neck) without any need for complicated switching or push-pulls.
              I had a QP in my tele neck and didn’t like it much either.

Comment

Another option for the middle pickup would be an APS-2. It is a warmer single coil. I like it when it is paired with a brighter single as it can give a really nice balance of bright and warm.

Comment

Originally posted by cactus jack View Post
                  I'm about to dive in and research tapping the QP neck, but can you provide a quick primer? I assume this is a service SD provides to tame the pup a bit correct?
                  Yes, they offer it...they wind the coil, attach an output wire, and wind some more. You can order it with the tap anywhere, although they sell one with the tap in a specific place.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions.

What would be a solid middle ground between the SSl-2/JD and QP sets? Something with Strat clarity in the neck, ass kicking rock in the bridge, but slightly hotter than vintage, but not as extreme at the QP?

Comment

Perhaps a Five Two in the neck, and a Broadcaster in the bridge. The Five Two is warmer and rounder than an SSL-2, and the Broadcaster is a hotter, warmer Tele thing that isn't quite as hot as the JD.

Comment

Circling back for a quick update. I picked up a SSL-2 neck and middle. After reading about them and listening to clips they seem like a no brainer.

Now I need to settle on the bridge pup. I'm leaning towards the Jerry Donahue, but any last contenders I should checkout? The Broadcaster has my attention, but I've ruled out the Quarter Pounder as it might be a bit more than I'm looking for.

Comment

the jd is a great tele bridge pup and should work great with the ssl2

Comment

The JD has more output to me than the Broadcaster, so it really just depends on how much you need. The JD also is further away output-wise from SSL2s. Some people are just fine with that.

Comment

How about this BG 1400 bridge Texas Hots neck and middle?
                              This is the BG 1400 from the Custom shop

Would be rude nasty and distinctive when it needed to be but also have that real Strat vibe in the neck middle or Teli vibe bridge with a BIG kick!
                              Last edited by Ascension; 01-28-2020, 09:45 AM.
                              Guitars
                              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                              X