Fender NAMM 2020 peek ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fender NAMM 2020 peek ...

My thought is that other companies do the super strat thing much better than Fender.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Kind of like PRS does Gibson better than Gibson?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        Kind of like PRS does Gibson better than Gibson?
        Well, the super strat was modernized and perfected by Ibanez, ESP and even Jackson. I am all for Fender trying new things, but just mining their past and putting weird features together really isn't innovation.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          I have been installing Kahlers and Floyds for my clients since the 80's and you are as full of crap as you can be!!!!!!

Both systems are large chunks of metal on a wooden guitar. Yes they change the tone from a non-vibrato guitar. But neither tone is horrible. Kahlers are actually MORE stable than Floyds. They have ball bearings for LESS friction, not fulcrums on pivot points.

I say AGAIN, you are FULL OF CRAP!
          Wow, that's an intense reaction. To counter:

I have installed a few kahlers: the guitars originally had a tune o matic hardtail and with the kahler installed, even completely blocked, the midrange changed completely. From an open voice to a nasal voice: with all other things remaining the same. I and the customer who requested the kahler, had a lot of issues keeping the kahler in tune after a heavy dive bomb. The strings would hang in the roller saddles. Then, the customer all came back to have the guitar retrofitted with a Floyd. Result? The guitar stayed in tune better and sounded better again as well.

I'm sorry, but this is what I experienced. Not once, not twice but 5 times with a direct installation/retrofit, as well as with a dozen or so factory-installed Kahlers.

So, yeah. no. I'm not full of crap. I am talking from my experience. Don't we all do that, to a certain degree? Have an experience, try to see if that experience persists and comment on a question someone posts, based on your own experiences? If you have had great results and you didn't notice any change in tone (or didn't feel the change was a negative one): more power to you, man. Really. But to me, a Kahler is an expensive piece of metal that works really badly. However, I would recommend the hardtail kahler, to be honest. That bridge is amazing and works and sounds great. Would never recommend the vibrato, though.

Comment

^^^ You know what? I don't believe you. ^^^
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I had a Kahler on my Yamaha and I had no tuning or tone problems with it. It was my favorite. Easy to change strings and easy to tune and microtune.

I don’t have a lot of experience however. I only had one Floyd guitar and it went out of tune with one dive while everything was tightened and broke strings frequently and was a pain to change strings and tune.

Mine were all floating and eventually after years I got tired of all the tuning and retuning required to balance the trem every time I changed strings.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                ^^^ You know what? I don't believe you. ^^^
                OK, that's your choice. I've reread my posts about Kahlers over the last decade and my opinion has been consistent about this subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Well, the super strat was modernized and perfected by Ibanez, ESP and even Jackson. I am all for Fender trying new things, but just mining their past and putting weird features together really isn't innovation.
                  The HM Strat is a true Fender and a true superstrat. Lean and quirky.

In the grand scheme of things, Ibanez's and ESP's innovations look kinda pale compared to Fender's...
                  Ibanez at least has the double sided body carve on the Saber (I think they were first, please correct if I'm wrong) and it's accompanying lo pro edge. But ESP, I dunno... They never reinvented the wheel, just made theirs more round, if that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                    https://www.gearnews.com/namm-2020-l...hm-strat-2020/

Made in Mexico im guessing, Another $1200 Mexi strat ?

Would be nice to see something innovative come from Fender Mexico instead of re-runs.
                    That guitar is an absolute JOKE. I was working for a Fender dealer when the original HM came out and that POS is NOT a HM Strat!!
                    That piece of JUNK is an insult to the real HM!!
                    Real HM Kahler Killer trem Dimarzio Super 3 bridge don't remember what they used in the neck or for the singles but were real Dimarzios. The Real HM was USA built had Jumbo Frets and a very flat board. They were some of the very best guitars Fender built in that era these are a cheap POS imposter in comparison.
                    Like the real HM Strats a lot and if Fender was going to bring it back they sould have done them right. That guitar needs to be much cheaper and have Squire on the headstock it's a JOKE!
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

After all I spent restoring my '81 Lead II, I think I might just add one of these new Lead III's to the herd. I like the sculpting as that's one of the things my Bullet S-3 and Lead II always lacked over my Strats.

I'm not thinking I'd drop $1200 on a reissue HM.
                      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

OK, so the Lead III is on order. Now I'm waffling on the HM Strat.

Talk me down.

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I also see the Lead III being my test bed for the Screaming Demon/Full Shred(n) if I am the least bit disappointed with stock Fenders.

Comment

The Lead III looks like a fun guitar. Let us know how you like it when it arrives. Do you have a date for that yet?

Comment

I should have an estimated arrival date by tomorrow or Tuesday. I will definitely update.

Agreed that it should be fun to play. Hopefully some very cool tones as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                                The Lead III looks like a fun guitar. Let us know how you like it when it arrives. Do you have a date for that yet?
                                I should have noted I opted for the Sienna Sunburst, even though the Purple is much more 80's. Most likely a subconscious aversion to many of the original 80's solid colors not aging well. Plus I think it will pair better with my rescued Trans Red Lead II.

Click image for larger version

Name:	newleadiii.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	5818101

Click image for larger version

Name:	leadii.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	5818102

The Lead III's are supposed to start shipping near the end of February, however I always temper that with the "NAMM Time Dilation" new products can experience.

Fender is also reissuing Lead II's. But I figure another 30 years and I will just naturally wear the armrest cut in mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X