Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fender NAMM 2020 peek ...

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
    Looks like Fender just copied the Clint 55 Strats for the latter!

Clint should get a cut of the profits.
    If they copied Clint, their guitars wouldn't have a neck pickup.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
    "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
      given that fender owns Charvel and Jackson . . . not entirely sure why they're making these models.
      Maybe nostalgia? Maybe meant for the guys who used them back in the 80's, like me when I was experimenting and would have nothing to do with Telecasters.
      -Butch

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
        the railtail by Floyd Rose and the Sophia Trems are fairly new and a new take on current trems? The Tremking and SuperVee were also fairly fresh designs but each had their own struggles. (The blade on the superVee could snap after heavy abuse and the rolling pins on the Tremking could wear out and simply stop returning to its neutral zero after a while).
        Perhaps off-topic, but what IS new about the Sophia trem? I remember there being an influx of videos about it when it first arrived, but once people were pressed for actual improvements on the FR I only heard fluff.

Comment

Isn't the Floyd rail tail just the equivalent of a blocked Floyd? Not sure why that needs a whole new bridge.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            Isn't the Floyd rail tail just the equivalent of a blocked Floyd? Not sure why that needs a whole new bridge.
            Not really, since it's still a non-locking trem.

The only 'new' trem I've seen pop up that had me interested was the locking trem by Hipshot, a few years ago. That trem works very well. Helas, you need a very, very big route behind the trem to work the finetuners. Perhaps because it was designed for a headless guitar :P

Comment

Originally posted by TheViewFromVenus View Post
              If they copied Clint, their guitars wouldn't have a neck pickup.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
              Also, I'm not sure if Fender puts in the double thick A2s. I believe that if the are to copy the Clint-O-caster, they should spec their version true to the original.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                Wow, that's an intense reaction. To counter:

I have installed a few kahlers: the guitars originally had a tune o matic hardtail and with the kahler installed, even completely blocked, the midrange changed completely. From an open voice to a nasal voice: with all other things remaining the same. I and the customer who requested the kahler, had a lot of issues keeping the kahler in tune after a heavy dive bomb. The strings would hang in the roller saddles. Then, the customer all came back to have the guitar retrofitted with a Floyd. Result? The guitar stayed in tune better and sounded better again as well.

I'm sorry, but this is what I experienced. Not once, not twice but 5 times with a direct installation/retrofit, as well as with a dozen or so factory-installed Kahlers.

So, yeah. no. I'm not full of crap. I am talking from my experience. Don't we all do that, to a certain degree? Have an experience, try to see if that experience persists and comment on a question someone posts, based on your own experiences? If you have had great results and you didn't notice any change in tone (or didn't feel the change was a negative one): more power to you, man. Really. But to me, a Kahler is an expensive piece of metal that works really badly. However, I would recommend the hardtail kahler, to be honest. That bridge is amazing and works and sounds great. Would never recommend the vibrato, though.
                I had a Kahler on two different guitars and I didnt like them ether. they ran on some kind of roller saddle thing and the tunning on mine slipped. I also noticed it didnt seem to sustain as long as i thought it should ether. My guitar teacher and the other guitar sharks around that place seemed to have similur results. we all went with Floyds for better sustain and tunning stability. Did Kahler make different models? maybe we got the cheap ones or somthing. seemed like the last one came in on somthing over $1200 which at the time was pretty expensive. The problem with the Floyds we bought was the tone arms all had a extra wiggle in them. they never stayed tight and people were doing all kinds of things to tighten the tone arms up including taping around the threads to get rid of the wiggle. Once they went to the screw down tone arm it was taken care of at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I like and use the Bladerunner, but it has more in common with normal Strat trems than not. As big an advancement as the Kahler or TransTrem is something we are due for.
                  I use the Bladerunner too. its a huge improvement over the standard strat bridge. I found it sustained better and the tone was more pronounced. it did increase the string tension slightly more but the tradeoff was well worth it.

Comment

I love the Strat-a-Tele. I had to look at it for a minute before I realized what was "wrong."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender-Parallel-Universe-2018-Limited-Edition-Whiteguard-Strat-.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	5818327

Comment

I'm not a Tele owner, however ... I'm guessing the white pickguard?
                      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                        I'm not a Tele owner, however ... I'm guessing the white pickguard?
                        You missed it too. It's not a Tele body. It's a Strat body.

Comment

No, the Strat body is expected. It is in the name: Strat-a-Tele.

Adult beverages early today?

I still think the White Tele pickguard looks out of place.

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Actually, I made up the Strat-a-Tele name. They call it the "Fender Parallel Universe 2018 Limited Edition Whiteguard Strat."

Comment

...and I trusted you!!!

Seriously, there goes my explanation. I don't get it at all now. Maybe I need to spend more time in a parallel universe?

Comment

Interesting that they call it a Strat when everything on it is Tele except the body. It definitely plays mind games with you because you instantly see the guard and neck and automatically think it's Tele. Then you look at the body and don't know where you are anymore.

Kind of a cool idea. I think it would look better with a black guard though.
                                "In the hair metal days, I didn't want to learn how to play guitar for the girls. I wanted to make noise and make people mad."

-James Hetfield

Comment

Working...
                                X