Fender NAMM 2020 peek ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fender NAMM 2020 peek ...

Sweetwater has them on pre-order, too. I'd like a maple 3 pickup HM, but I'm glad to have been able to get my '88 single hum. Glad to see they brought them back! Maybe the originals will see a price drop....

Comment

I only got to know those guitars from Ethan Brosh, he changed the pickups.

Who took my guitar?

Comment

I have one of these HM Strats from back in the day...changed the bridge pickup to a Full Shred. Great guitar but the trem had issues. I'd love to try one with a Floyd.
        2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
        1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Originally posted by Farkus View Post
          I have one of these HM Strats from back in the day...changed the bridge pickup to a Full Shred. Great guitar but the trem had issues. I'd love to try one with a Floyd.
          I had decent luck with a "roll your own" using Kahlers on a Fender Bullet S-3 and a '62 RI Strat. What issues did the Kahler have that the Floyd might overcome? Only asking as I heard Floyds were a nightmare to tune...which is why I passed on them in the 80’s.
          I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Kahler's have a horrible, horrible tone. Or, change the tone horribly. Also, Kahler trems are less stable than Floyds. Real, proper Floyd units that is. Too much friction.

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
              I only got to know those guitars from Ethan Brosh, he changed the pickups.

I watched one of his personal youtube videos and he said that the bridge is still the Super Distortion, but the neck is a Dimarzio "fast track".
              Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
              Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Originally posted by Farkus View Post
                How did it sound with the Full Shred? that was one of the pickups i was thinking of putting in mine.
                Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
                Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                  Kahler's have a horrible, horrible tone. Or, change the tone horribly. Also, Kahler trems are less stable than Floyds. Real, proper Floyd units that is. Too much friction.
                  That is a bit harsh. Who else agrees with this?

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                    That is a bit harsh. Who else agrees with this?
                    Ive never heard that since 1982'.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                      Ive never heard that since 1982'.
                      Good to see.

Comment

I have been installing Kahlers and Floyds for my clients since the 80's and you are as full of crap as you can be!!!!!!

Both systems are large chunks of metal on a wooden guitar. Yes they change the tone from a non-vibrato guitar. But neither tone is horrible. Kahlers are actually MORE stable than Floyds. They have ball bearings for LESS friction, not fulcrums on pivot points.

I say AGAIN, you are FULL OF CRAP!
                        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                          Only asking as I heard Floyds were a nightmare to tune...which is why I passed on them in the 80’s.
                          A floyd isn't really all that hard to change strings on. It takes me about 5 minutes to swap strings on a hard tail and tune up, and maybe 7 minutes to do the same with a Floyd.

You just block it, take all the strings off, put new strings back on, tighten the claw, tune to pitch. Remove the block, loosen the claw until the bridge is level with the body - you're like 95% there. Some minor fiddling with the tuners, then lock the nut.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                            A floyd isn't really all that hard to change strings on. It takes me about 5 minutes to swap strings on a hard tail and tune up, and maybe 7 minutes to do the same with a Floyd.

You just block it, take all the strings off, put new strings back on, tighten the claw, tune to pitch. Remove the block, loosen the claw until the bridge is level with the body - you're like 95% there. Some minor fiddling with the tuners, then lock the nut.
                            That is good to know. Changing strings on my Kahlers has never taken more time than my non-trem guitars. If anything it has been the extra minute locking the nut after stretching the strings and tuning up.

Comment

I remember the original HM's came with the Kahler-licensed Spyder tremolo, which was essential a Floyd Rose -like design. Not much of a difference between the two that I remember. All I do remember is when I played it, I much preferred the feel of a German-made Floyd Rose over the Kahler Spyder. Now, the Kahler top-mount tremolos, those were a thing of beauty. Very smooth and stable, IMO.

The only thing that bothers me with the hot-rodded Strats, be it the HM's or a Charvel are the necks. Too thin for me. I'd much rather go after a beak-neck Kramer from back in the day. Those necks had some meat on them. My Focus 2000 was like that. Great necks on those.
                              Last edited by ErikH; 01-23-2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                                I feel like you can only reach the 24th fret by contorting your hand around a lower bout cutaway that hasn't been made deep enough. Also, given that fender owns Charvel and Jackson . . . not entirely sure why they're making these models.
                                Nope and nope (and nope about the 24 frets). The upper position access is sufficient. You can still do more piddly widdly than is ever needed without breaking a sweat and enuffznuff. Sure, it does not have the RG's deepest cutaways but on the upside it lacks their tonesuck, too. The recent 3 bolt Dinkies give me a rash and nausea, too by the way. The (original) HM Strat is neither a Dinky nor a Fusion nor a Stratocaster nor any kind of Charvel, really. The neck and body are Fender's original shapes and have a tone and feel of their own. It was Fender's _answer_ to the superstrats of the day and not a clone.

By example, the marketing department can call a 24 fret guitar a Les Paul but no matter what they can't give it the sound and feel of an actual Les Paul. Same here, the original HM Strat is a 24 fret Fender with all its quirks and features and if you stray too far off the original design, you lose what sets it apart.

Built in the same factory as the original
                                Does that mean Fujigen is involved or that this line is a marketing stunt. If anything, I would bet on the second.

The RI looks cool at first glance but it lacks the (early) original's Spyder trem in favor of the cheap and available FR. It does not mean it's worse or inherently bad for that matter, but it does mean it will deliver more flutter at the expense of the Spyder's buttersmooth vibrato action. Which is fine by one account but it does not make the RI's character stand out as much as the old one's. Kind of proving Steve's point of why release something that's not all that different from the "competition".

I probably would have done the same (opt for an FR trem) if I were in Fender's shoes so there's that.
                                I just don't get the neck being described as "narrow" when my old one is the opposite at nearly 45mm at the nut. The shape is a kind of a flat-centered wide D with full shoulders and a 17" camber, calling this a Charvel would be an exercise in pointlessness. Maybe the RI is different and maybe that description is just fluff.

My main point though, The HM is not a hot rodded Strat, despite its confusing name. It shouldn't be too difficult to make and it seems they've made the right choices designing the RI: They kept what ain't broke and opted for the cheaper and more serviceable bridge. As long as they are built by competent people, there is no reason for the reissue not to kick ass.

Comment

Working...
                                X