Fender NAMM 2020 peek ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fender NAMM 2020 peek ...

Seems like more and more are going with the nostalgia feel as of late. Gibson has the 70's Explorer and V. Now Fender with these 80's models. Maybe Ibanez should bring back the old RG design or go all out with the pre-lawsuit designs.

The last several years of NAMM have me going, meh. I go in to shops now and there may be 1 or 2 guitars that catch my fancy. The rest, meh. Most of the pedals and such anymore, meh. I guess I'm just content with what I have. Not that I don't mind having more guitars but I'd rather scour the small shops for one that I really really like or do another build.

Comment

Only around one year, but I still kinda liked it. The originals had some weird square humbuckers that were proprietary to that model.
      Yeah, the one with 2 humbuckers is the one they are doing again.... IN PURPLE. I took one apart decades ago, and it was actually 2 single coil pickups in one housing.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

That headstock decal reminds me: whatever happened to the Ryan Adams signature Strat they were working on? Did it ever come to market or did it get caught up in the blowback from him getting outed as a creep/abuser/pedo?
        ---------------------------
        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          Yeah, the one with 2 humbuckers is the one they are doing again.... IN PURPLE. I took one apart decades ago, and it was actually 2 single coil pickups in one housing.
          I remember Steve Morse used one as a backup guitar. They were marketed then as a budget rock guitar. I think in black, white, and red. Certainly no purple then.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I remember Steve Morse used one as a backup guitar. They were marketed then as a budget rock guitar. I think in black, white, and red. Certainly no purple then.
            You are correct. Steve did use one. And the basic 3 colors, too.
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
              So it’s a Fender Melody Maker

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                I feel like you can only reach the 24th fret by contorting your hand around a lower bout cutaway that hasn't been made deep enough. Also, given that fender owns Charvel and Jackson . . . not entirely sure why they're making these models.
                Single owner, different brands, different product lines, different target market, different strategies. Don't mix em up. Also, there is history being resurrected.

Comment

All Fenders are overpriced by about $200 to $300 now, IMO. Over the past few years, they have really positioned themselves as a higher budget brand, while letting Squier move up to cover most of the lower budget price points. Nice MIMs are over $600 now, and the high end MIMs are $1,000, plus or minus a few hundred bucks.

To their credit, though, the MIM instruments have greatly improved in quality along the way. Most of the time they only really lack anything from a U.S.A. model in terms of fret work and nut work. The finishes are excellent. The hardware has improved. The pickups have improved. The general fit and finish is much better than it used to be. The main cost that they seem to cut on MIM models is the time consuming and expensive labor of rounding fret ends and cutting precise nuts.

If I wasn't so sentimentally attached to my '04 Sage Green Metallic Standard Strat that I got for $380 new, I'd dump it and pick up the new Sage Green Metallic Player Series Strat for $675 new. It's a much nicer built guitar in every way.
                  Last edited by ItsaBass; 01-14-2020, 03:49 AM.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                    All Fenders are overpriced by about $200 to $300 now, IMO. Over the past few years, they have really positioned themselves as a higher budget brand, while letting Squier move up to cover most of the lower budget price points. Nice MIMs are over $600 now, and the high end MIMs are $1,000, plus or minus a few hundred bucks.

To their credit, though, the MIM instruments have greatly improved in quality along the way. Most of the time they only really lack anything from a U.S.A. model in terms of fret work and nut work. The finishes are excellent. The hardware has improved. The pickups have improved. The general fit and finish is much better than it used to be. The main cost that they seem to cut on MIM models is the time consuming and expensive labor of rounding fret ends and cutting precise nuts.

If I wasn't so sentimentally attached to my '04 Sage Green Metallic Standard Strat that I got for $380 new, I'd dump it and pick up the new Sage Green Metallic Player Series Strat for $675 new. It's a much nicer built guitar in every way.
                    I took 10 years off from really following this stuff closely. The weirdest thing I found after starting again was that Gibsons cost about the same as before but Indonesian- and Chinese-made guitars (Squiers, non-prestige Ibanez) were now approaching the price of the low-end faded Gibson models... And yet everyone still complains that Gibsons are too expensive!

My guess is Fender is slowly moving their brand up market and making Squier compete with Epiphone.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      The black and white finishes have not weathered the years very well. Firecrackle! I have an old Lead II in red, but the neck went totally wonky. Even my luthier couldn't save it, so we replaced it with a '72Tele Deluxe neck. It was a road worn rescue and the previous owner put an Evolution in the bridge. That's a very unforgiving pickup. After years of searching for another X-1 I just had MJ wind me one. It RAWKS!

Back on topic, the Lead series are a decent Fender hardtail.
                      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                        The black and white finishes have not weathered the years very well. Firecrackle! I have an old Lead II in red, but the neck went totally wonky. Even my luthier couldn't save it, so we replaced it with a '72Tele Deluxe neck. It was a road worn rescue and the previous owner put an Evolution in the bridge. That's a very unforgiving pickup. After years of searching for another X-1 I just had MJ wind me one. It RAWKS!

Back on topic, the Lead series are a decent Fender hardtail.
                        My 1982 'The Strat' has an X1 pickup near the bridge.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          My 1982 'The Strat' has an X1 pickup near the bridge.
                          I knew a couple of guys who played 'The Strat' back in the 80's. Thanks to MJ for helping me restore my Lead II. Will PM you with some names of those players.

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Let me get some things straight here on this HM Strat:

Its MIJ, which makes the $1200 price point very good IMO. If it had an upgraded Floyd and Duncans/Dimarzios etc, it would be probably around the $1800 mark. They are made in the same Fujigen factory that the originals were from.

I actually plan to pre-order one. I have some credit at Guitar Center so i will order it through them. I'm definitely going after the teal "ice blue" color. I plan to upgrade the floyd to better saddles/stainless screws/brass block, depending on how the Fender pickups sound, change them out if they are sub-par. I have plenty of Duncans to put in here. Again, as I posted in another thread about basswood guitars, the verdict will be out to how the tone of these will be (rolled off treble?).

Im all about the retro guitars. The 80s are my favorite decade I ever experienced, so the nostalgia is strong with me. I would also like to try that previously mentioned 70s Flying V.
                            Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
                            Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Some of us were a little impatient, so we converted our Strats before the HMs showed up. I've since restored mine to SSS but the Kahler is still there if you need a pic.

Comment

My pre-order is in and cant wait! This will be the first Japanese guitar i have ever bought new!
                                Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
                                Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Working...
                                X