Screws Stuck!!! Epoxied???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screws Stuck!!! Epoxied???

I got an Omec Teleport (Orange), and it's one of the best sounding audio interface for amp modeling software with some of the lowest latency I've ever experienced.
    Then suddenly it stops working, but I can't unscrew the enclosure to see if it's something I can't fix myself.

Has anyone else encountered a pedal with four screws that will not budge as if they have been locked in place with glue to prevent tampering?

Re: Screws Stuck!!! Epoxied???

Nothing that bad but I recently tried to repair a TC Electronic pedal and that was a MAJOR PITA. Had to buy new tools just to be able to open it up, screws were way over-tightened and in the process of trying to de-solder the switch I ended up wrecking the pedal.

So yeah, sometimes manufacturers aren't too keen on letting you tinker with their stuff.

If I were to take a wild guess, you could use some sort of lubricant on stuck screws, but I'm not too certain that'd be a good idea on something with electronics inside it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Most adhesives (and locktite and similar thread lockers) are defeated by heat. It might be worth a try to touch a soldering iron to the screw head for several seconds, and then try removing it while still hot.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
        Most adhesives (and locktite and similar thread lockers) are defeated by heat. It might be worth a try to touch a soldering iron to the screw head for several seconds, and then try removing it while still hot.

Larry
        That's also a good way to break the head off the screw.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Heat is the correct way to loosen thread lockers. You don't get it red hot, just heat up the screw a little. Also make sure you are using the correct size screwdriver, phillips screws will strip really easy if the screwdriver is too big or too small.

Comment

Yeah, but when you're talking screws this small, it's gonna be really easy to overdo it.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

It turns out that I wasn't using the right bit. The guys over at the Music Electronics forum schooled me deep in the art of screwing.
              Luckily I had a better quality tool with a bit that fit more snuggly. Surprisingly, a shorter handle is what gave my arm the pressure and torque needed to loosen the stubborn screws.
              Still I damaged the heads and hurt my wrist to extract them.
              Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Comment

Working...
              X