banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Humbucker signal problem - can you tell me the solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Humbucker signal problem - can you tell me the solution?

at least my sanity is restored i couldnt for the life of me figure out how two working coils turned into one non-working pup

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      at least my sanity is restored i couldnt for the life of me figure out how two working coils turned into one non-working pup
      Because it can't happen!
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Shooweri View Post
        Thanks for your help! You've confirmed that I'm complete idiot.

Blasphemy in three, two, one...
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]102812[/ATTACH]
        I guess I'm an idiot as well because I assumed that if you were using a multimeter you must know how to use it.

Glad you sent those photos, we may never have found out the problem without them. (I guess I'm not such an idiot...at least I did ask for photos).

So just for your future reference (and maybe a few others as well), the multimeter only reads UP TO the setting you have it on. If it is set at 20k it will read up to 20k and in this case where we expected the resistance of the pup to be about 22k, the meter must be turned up to the next higher setting (with this meter it was 200k).

But, don't just indiscriminately set your meter to the highest setting. For best accuracy set it to the lowest setting possible that will include what you are measuring. Did that make sense?

Good catch on that htwheelz67.
        Last edited by GuitarDoc; 01-14-2020, 12:32 PM.

Comment

as soon as I saw the pic I knew, the last time I did that I thought I had 2 bunk BG1400 pickups.....I got the same reading till I turned it up.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            I guess I'm an idiot as well because I assumed that if you were using a multimeter you must know how to use it.

Glad you sent those photos, we may never have found out the problem without them. (I guess I'm not such an idiot...at least I did ask for photos).

So just for your future reference (and maybe a few others as well), the multimeter only reads UP TO the setting you have it on. If it is set at 20k it will read up to 20k and in this case where we expected the resistance of the pup to be about 22k, the meter must be turned up to the next higher setting (with this meter it was 200k).

But, don't just indiscriminately set your meter to the highest setting. For best accuracy set it to the lowest setting possible that will include what you are measuring. Did that make sense?

Good catch on that htwheelz67.
            Thank you for this. It makes perfect sense! I should've sent photos right away, as it would solved this immediately.

Thank you for your time guys!

Comment

Originally posted by htwheelz67 View Post
              as soon as I saw the pic I knew, the last time I did that I thought I had 2 bunk BG1400 pickups.....I got the same reading till I turned it up.
              Yeah, me too.

I think we ALL have done that at one time or another early on in our use of, or learning to use a multimeter.

Comment

Working...
              X