Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC Sized humbuckers for strat

Hey, folks,

I play mostly classic rock/jamband style music, and I recently performed some pickup upgrades to my '94 American Standard Stratocaster. I put Dimarzio area pickups in the neck and middle positions with a JB Jr. in the bridge. I love the tones that I am getting from this setup everywhere except position 2 (bridge and middle). For some reason, there is a pretty substantial volume loss with a really thin sounding tone that is utterly unusable. I wasn't expecting the traditional strat quack, but I at least thought to have a workable tone in that position.

Is this normal? Could it be an installation issue (I used standard wiring according to the enclosed diagram, without coil split/tap)? I have contacted SD to initiate the 21 day guarantee exchange, and I was thinking about trying the little '59 or a rails pickup. However, I'm concerned about having the same problem with whatever I use instead.

Re: SC Sized humbuckers for strat

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like your bridge/middle pickups are out of phase with each other. You can reverse the phase of the bridge humbucker to fix it. Just swap the green/black leads from humbucker so that the green is wired to pickup selector and black/bare are put into ground.

Comment

I wish I would have checked back here sooner...I ended up removing the JB Jr. last night and replacing with a Dimarzio. I might try the JB again, though.

So I should do the opposite of the wiring diagram? What would cause them to be out of phase? Were they assembled backwards?

Comment

No, there are no standards in pickup manufacturing in regards to phase. In the end, you have to either know before you start, or switch one set of wires when you hear that out-of-phase sound. Hopefully the JB Jr will make it back in there, as it is a great pickup. When you put it back in, green is now hot, and black & bare go to ground Red & white are soldered together and taped off.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
        X