Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to stop joints from aching from playing?

OLDERBUDWISER

Default Re: How to stop joints from aching from playing?

I would try a lighter
    Try soaking your hands in nice warm water before you play, dont rush. Make sure you arent mashing the strings down too hard. Make sure your fretting is accurate, right behind the fret where it takes way less pressure, dont just aim anywhere in between. Place your hand on the neck on any fret. Now play the string while muting the note and gradually push down until you can hear the note. See just how little pressure is required? Not only will you relieve tension but you wont push the notes sharp either
    Last edited by OLDERBUDWISER; 01-15-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Low slung , with neck level to floor puts your wrist in the worst position

Bring the neck up a bit to put the wrist back in a normal position
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Ultimate Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55 View Post
    Here is your problem. You're young and don't have any physical ailments right? You should never contort your body to play an instrument. Every movement and posture should be ergonomic and not stressful. If you experience pain or discomfort, stop and make sure you aren't beginning to injure yourself. If you have injured yourself, stop playing until your are healed. Assess your posture or excess tension and correct it so that you can play for at least 2 hours without discomfort.
    It's not that I'm putting my hands through undue contortions, I was just describing playing positions as far beyond anything your hands experience in regular life. I've got naturally flexible hands big enough to palm a basketball, so stretching too far isn't the issue.

OLDERBUDWISER

Quote Originally Posted by chillytouch View Post
    Not to thread highjack but I started playing guitar last year and practice 2-3 hours a day. They didn't hurt for the first 3 months or so, but now, the joints of my fingers on my left hand really start to hurt . If you were to extend your finger, coming back from the nail, the second "joint" or "knuckle" or whatever. If I try to make a fist with the fingers they hurt a ton lol.

If I take a 2-3 day break the pain goes away but once I start playing again it just comes back. I'm 29 too I don't feel that old!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPQ1LQGZf3A Go to 3rd section

Quote Originally Posted by '59 View Post
    It's not that I'm putting my hands through undue contortions, I was just describing playing positions as far beyond anything your hands experience in regular life. I've got naturally flexible hands big enough to palm a basketball, so stretching too far isn't the issue.
    Well perhaps contort was the wrong word. Just use your intuition and use posture that will allow you to go through the motions of playing guitar without causing excess tension. If you're unable to find a posture that will allow you to do this, you could always go to a guitar teacher. An analogy would be cycling. Nothing about the motion of cycling is biomechanically threatening and so people can ride 50 to 100 miles a day if they have the will without injuring themselves.
    Satan's sitting there
    He's smiling

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Locher View Post
    Try a different guitar. Seriously. I have owned guitars that hurt my hand and/or wrist and some that don't. It is all about the shape of the neck, width of the neck, curved the fretboard, and the position the guitar hangs when you stand and/or sits on your legs when you sit.
    Try some other guitars. It's all individual: if I play a wide, thin neck for long I will cramp and my wrist will hurt later. A narrow, round neck I can play for hours. Etc.
    yeah, good one - everyone's hands are different -for me if I play really skinny shallow neck my thumb and palm gets really achey versus more wood in the hand.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I've got Arthritis in my Thumb and 2 broken fingers on my riff hand and aside from daily stretching, PT etc. I've been using CBD oil and damn if it doesn't kill the pain. I didn't want to believe, but after my mom's arthritis inflammation in her finger joints disappeared totally -I couldn't just say it was the placebo effect anymore.

I don't like Advil or Diclofenac or anti-inflammitory or OTC pain pills in general so this seems to be the best thing going.

BUT, you need to exercise your hands and do warm ups and rest them before anything else.
    I have been playing for over 40 yrs& never had problems like I have now, in 2016 may 5th I had a stroke & when I hit the floor, I must have bent my left thimb (fret hand) backwards, I thought that I had sprained it, but I also ripped my already torn rotator cuff, I can barely play chords , * can not play any leads at all ( which was my main playing) last year I went to PT 2 times a week 1 for my hand & 1 for my shoulder, they gave my hand massagers after being dipped in hot wax , dry needled my hand , & it still doesn't work. I have purchased a glove that shock /stimulates , finger stretchers , exercisers, therapy balls , my therapist says I have arthritis in my thumb & says I should get a thumb replacement,i eat 100 mg of cbd candy every nite to help me sleep , I will try the cbd oil next, Btw PT did help my shoulder , at least I can use my left arm some now..
    Last edited by rammer69; 01-19-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by rammer69 View Post
    I have been playing for over 40 yrs& never had problems like I have now, in 2016 may 5th I had a stroke & when I hit the floor, I must have bent my left thimb (fret hand) backwards, I thought that I had sprained it, but I also ripped my already rotator cuff, I can barely play chords , * can not play any leads at all ( which was my main playing) last year I went to PT 2 times a week 1 for my hand & 1 for my shoulder, they gave my hand massagers after being dipped in hot wax , dry needled my hand , & it still doesn't work. I have purchased a glove that shock /stimulates , finger stretchers , exercisers, therapy balls , my therapist says I have arthritis in my thumb & says I should get a thumb replacement,i eat 100 mg of cbd candy every nite to help me sleep , I will try the cbd oil next, Btw PT did help my shoulder , at least I can use my left arm some now..
    Damn, take care of yourself Knievel!

I'd definitely try the topical CBD! and report back how you do!
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Underglazed Hair Metalologist 80's_Metal's Avatar

Works on backs and knees too....

Name:  IMG_20200119_132705666_compress62_compress66.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  25.2 KB

Plus it makes me sound better

my banana hammock hosts a leetle peppercini and has hit the skids Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

I love it! 29 posts and not one wahoo bothers to ask even one critical question!!! Idiots. Take no advice from any of these dolts.

#1 What joints hurt? Mostly my knees and hips hurt after a show, but that is 4 hrs long, I'm wearing cowboy boots, doing high kicks, jumping up and down etc.
    #2 How badly do they hurt? Standard pain doc 1-10 scale.
    #3 How old are you and do you have any medical conditions/predisposing factor (example: You run a jack hammer as your day job; I am 52 and have Psoriatic Arthritis. Look it up.)
    #4 What sort of playing schedule do you have? 10 minutes of light noodling here and there, or the aforementioned four hour rock show?
    #5 What is your guitar, what style of playing, and in what position?

Tell me all that and maybe we'll have some GOOD suggestions for you.

Other than that, the only sensible advice is, given what we know, that would never be out of place:
    A) Stretch/Warm up/Cool down. Applies to any physical activity where muscles/tendons/joints are involved
    B) Ease into extended length playing sessions gradually over time
    C) Relax when you play. That's often harder to do than people think, and they don't know how much they are stressing physically.
    D) Proper body alignment etc.

Here is THE TRICK: There are no tricks. Identify the cause of the problem and act accordingly. Or mask symptoms with excessive drugs to the point of self-destruction. Understand that is way easier than doing the right thing. Not that anybody her has any idea what that is based on the original post.
    Last edited by Aceman; 01-20-2020 at 01:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Mojo's Minions

After I'm done playing, I'll use Aspercream on my hands. Just don't apply it before you play, as it could damage the finish.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    I love it! 29 posts and not one wahoo bothers to ask even one critical question!!! Idiots. Take no advice from any of these dolts.
    You gotta learn to stop hiding your thoughts and just open up, Aceman!

my banana hammock hosts a leetle peppercini and has hit the skids Aceman's Avatar

I'm always too damn polite!

Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

And shy, too! Don't forget shy...

Capsaicin.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    Capsaicin.
    We havr this cream over here in Hungary called Nicoflex. It is intended to be a warm up cream for athletes, propagating blood flow at the treated area. Main ingredient? CAPSAICIN! Although as I recall it was more regularly used to play vicious jokes on teammates than anything else...

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nexion218 View Post
    We havr this cream over here in Hungary called Nicoflex. It is intended to be a warm up cream for athletes, propagating blood flow at the treated area. Main ingredient? CAPSAICIN! Although as I recall it was more regularly used to play vicious jokes on teammates than anything else...
    Do you mean, their gulyásleves tastes molten lava suddenly, on the level of hínyebazmeg, poroltót? And when you replace their síkosító with Nicoflex, instead of megrakni their cuncimókus nyuszimuszi, they will spend the hour with their bögyörő in an ice bucket instead? It is definitely the right substance for the purpose.

On a serious note, active arthritis and these warming-up creams may not gel well. If the inflation is on, a blood flow boost may increase the pain. There are cold (passive) phases and hot (inflated) phases. Something like Nicoflex can have good effect during the cold phase, before excercising, cycling or the like. The hot phase needs the opposite: cooling.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by NecroPolo View Post
    Do you mean, their gulyásleves tastes molten lava suddenly, on the level of hínyebazmeg, poroltót? And when you replace their síkosító with Nicoflex, instead of megrakni their cuncimókus nyuszimuszi, they will spend the hour with their bögyörő in an ice bucket instead? It is definitely the right substance for the purpose.

On a serious note, active arthritis and these warming-up creams may not gel well. If the inflation is on, a blood flow boost may increase the pain. There are cold (passive) phases and hot (inflated) phases. Something like Nicoflex can have good effect during the cold phase, before excercising, cycling or the like. The hot phase needs the opposite: cooling.
    Yeah, something like that. Dark Lord Sauron himself had created that stuff.

Also on a serious note, if there is a medical condition, then one should simply seek professional help. If there's no such problem, then a great prophylactic measure is to establish a proper warmup routine. There is really no need for magic ointments, one just needs to ease the muscles into doing what they're ordered to do. As has been said above: it's just like any other physical excercise. Heavy load on cold muscles and joints spells injury. I am particularly prone to injury when not warming up properly, I learned it the hard way when doing sports as a youngster, and it shows in my playing too. And it isn't beneficial only for my muscles/joints, but my ears too: without warming up, I have a hard time listening to my own playing, but when I warm up properly, it suddely becomes borderline listenable. Also, the power and benefits or resting cannot be overstated. Its all cool and well to play 6-8 hours a day and then repeating it every day, but that again will spell injury in the long run. I used to do that, I kept telling myself that if I don't practice every day and that if I don't play through the pain then I'm a miserable wuss and will never play like I want to, but when I once strained my picking hand forearm/wrist I put it into perspective and now I tell myself that its either a 2 day rest and 363 days of playing, or one more practice session and 363 days of resting and rehab... I keep chosing the former.

Quote Originally Posted by nexion218 View Post
    Also on a serious note, if there is a medical condition, then one should simply seek professional help.
    But as with pickup selection - that doesn't prevent the peanut gallery from chiming in with foolish advice based on nothing about the guitar, the amp, or the style of music let alone the current rig's actual tonal issues.

Same here except you are recommending treatments for a symptom with an unknown cause. Stop that.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    But as with pickup selection - that doesn't prevent the peanut gallery from chiming in with foolish advice based on nothing about the guitar, the amp, or the style of music let alone the current rig's actual tonal issues.

Same here except you are recommending treatments for a symptom with an unknown cause. Stop that.
    People were responding with their own experience with stoping aching in joints -which is what was asked, NOT playing doctor or giving specific medical advice to someone on a forum.