banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to stop joints from aching from playing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to stop joints from aching from playing?

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    I love it! 29 posts and not one wahoo bothers to ask even one critical question!!! Idiots. Take no advice from any of these dolts.
    You gotta learn to stop hiding your thoughts and just open up, Aceman!

Comment

I'm always too damn polite!
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

And shy, too! Don't forget shy...

Comment

Capsaicin.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            Capsaicin.
            We havr this cream over here in Hungary called Nicoflex. It is intended to be a warm up cream for athletes, propagating blood flow at the treated area. Main ingredient? CAPSAICIN! Although as I recall it was more regularly used to play vicious jokes on teammates than anything else...

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
              We havr this cream over here in Hungary called Nicoflex. It is intended to be a warm up cream for athletes, propagating blood flow at the treated area. Main ingredient? CAPSAICIN! Although as I recall it was more regularly used to play vicious jokes on teammates than anything else...
              Do you mean, their gulyásleves tastes molten lava suddenly, on the level of hínyebazmeg, poroltót? And when you replace their síkosító with Nicoflex, instead of megrakni their cuncimókus nyuszimuszi, they will spend the hour with their bögyörő in an ice bucket instead? It is definitely the right substance for the purpose.

On a serious note, active arthritis and these warming-up creams may not gel well. If the inflation is on, a blood flow boost may increase the pain. There are cold (passive) phases and hot (inflated) phases. Something like Nicoflex can have good effect during the cold phase, before excercising, cycling or the like. The hot phase needs the opposite: cooling.
              Wackor
              Ørdøg
              NecroPolo
              Diabolus in Musica
              SIDrip Alliance
              Book of Shadows
              RKH

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
                Do you mean, their gulyásleves tastes molten lava suddenly, on the level of hínyebazmeg, poroltót? And when you replace their síkosító with Nicoflex, instead of megrakni their cuncimókus nyuszimuszi, they will spend the hour with their bögyörő in an ice bucket instead? It is definitely the right substance for the purpose.

On a serious note, active arthritis and these warming-up creams may not gel well. If the inflation is on, a blood flow boost may increase the pain. There are cold (passive) phases and hot (inflated) phases. Something like Nicoflex can have good effect during the cold phase, before excercising, cycling or the like. The hot phase needs the opposite: cooling.
                Yeah, something like that. Dark Lord Sauron himself had created that stuff.

Also on a serious note, if there is a medical condition, then one should simply seek professional help. If there's no such problem, then a great prophylactic measure is to establish a proper warmup routine. There is really no need for magic ointments, one just needs to ease the muscles into doing what they're ordered to do. As has been said above: it's just like any other physical excercise. Heavy load on cold muscles and joints spells injury. I am particularly prone to injury when not warming up properly, I learned it the hard way when doing sports as a youngster, and it shows in my playing too. And it isn't beneficial only for my muscles/joints, but my ears too: without warming up, I have a hard time listening to my own playing, but when I warm up properly, it suddely becomes borderline listenable. Also, the power and benefits or resting cannot be overstated. Its all cool and well to play 6-8 hours a day and then repeating it every day, but that again will spell injury in the long run. I used to do that, I kept telling myself that if I don't practice every day and that if I don't play through the pain then I'm a miserable wuss and will never play like I want to, but when I once strained my picking hand forearm/wrist I put it into perspective and now I tell myself that its either a 2 day rest and 363 days of playing, or one more practice session and 363 days of resting and rehab... I keep chosing the former.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                  Also on a serious note, if there is a medical condition, then one should simply seek professional help.
                  But as with pickup selection - that doesn't prevent the peanut gallery from chiming in with foolish advice based on nothing about the guitar, the amp, or the style of music let alone the current rig's actual tonal issues.

Same here except you are recommending treatments for a symptom with an unknown cause. Stop that.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

But as with pickup selection - that doesn't prevent the peanut gallery from chiming in with foolish advice based on nothing about the guitar, the amp, or the style of music let alone the current rig's actual tonal issues.

Same here except you are recommending treatments for a symptom with an unknown cause. Stop that.
                    People were responding with their own experience with stoping aching in joints -which is what was asked, NOT playing doctor or giving specific medical advice to someone on a forum.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

"None of the comments posted in this thread are intended to treat or cure any medical condition. Always seek the help of America professional for diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. If this is an emergency please hang up and dial 9-1-1."

Feel better?
                      TLDR: depending on what hurts, and assuming no underlying medical condition other than age and/or being out of shape, anyone experiencing joint pain during or after playing should consider trying:
                      -different guitars, because the ergonomics can be wildly different
                      -different playing positions and/or strap heights
                      -lighter strings and/or tune down to E flat or D
                      -warming up before playing
                      -being careful to not overdo it and giving the joints in question rest after playing a while

Those recommendations were all based on the assumption that the aching joints are finger/hand/wrist, elbow, or shoulder. Even if there IS an underlying issue such as mild arthritis anything that eases tension and improves ergonomics helps.

Little changes can make a big difference. I had shoulder pain for a few months until I figured out it was the position of my computer mouse at work. Changed that and the pain disappeared. Likewise, my wife had a car that made my left knee hurt if I drove it on a long trip. I am sure age (53) and maybe some very mild arthritis contribute, but in both cases doctors said nothing serious and in both cases the pain went away completely after minor changes (different mouse pad location and different car). The guitar with the neck that made my hand and wrist hurt was when I was still in my 20s!
                      I feel confident that a different guitar and/or strap position and/or playing routine will help regardless of any other factors.

Comment

Bro' I respect you and you know it and I'm not disagreeing with your suggestions but governing seems a little overdone. He was not false doc'ing. All guys responding solved pain different ways. All folks are talking about their experiences, responding to the question. OP is surely able to filter it out and apply the suitable suggestion to his own case.

By the way, I do admit that I'm an official fool, with a medical paper about the condition so being called as a fool I take as a fact, not an offense

Peace out, keep being awesome.
                        Wackor
                        Ørdøg
                        NecroPolo
                        Diabolus in Musica
                        SIDrip Alliance
                        Book of Shadows
                        RKH

Comment

I did not take it as an offense - I took Ace's "you" as a reference to the posters in general, not speficifally me. He had no reason todirect it towards me, as I never recommended treatments - I talked about seeking professional help and taking preventive measures. I might be naive though and he did direct it towards me... If so, then... Let's wait till he confirms his intentions, shall we? Then I'll deal with him...

Comment

I've had pain from what they call gouty arthritis in my hands for quite a while. I'm making a change to much lighter gauge strings and find this really helps.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                              Stretch and warm up.
                              This and only this. Changing gear and drugs are not the answer. Always stretch and warm up before any activity involving muscles.

Comment

Ima disagree with you on that one! Changing gear should be #1, THEN worry about stretching & warming up. Your boots pinch your toes, the solution is new boots with a different shape in the toe box. Once you have boots that fit your unique feet properly you can worry about hiking.

Not a great analogy but hopefully it makes the point. The most ergonomic equipment has to come first. Otherwise you are compensating and adapting to something that causes the problem. (Maybe bike that's too big or too small is a better analogy? Wrong size bra?)

Yesterday I wore a pair of jeans that chafed the hell out of one spot on my upper right inner thigh. I don't need to toughen up my upper inner right thigh, I need to throw away those jeans!

Comment

Working...
                                X