Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to stop joints from aching from playing?

Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

Default Re: How to stop joints from aching from playing?

"None of the comments posted in this thread are intended to treat or cure any medical condition. Always seek the help of America professional for diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. If this is an emergency please hang up and dial 9-1-1."

Feel better?
    TLDR: depending on what hurts, and assuming no underlying medical condition other than age and/or being out of shape, anyone experiencing joint pain during or after playing should consider trying:
    -different guitars, because the ergonomics can be wildly different
    -different playing positions and/or strap heights
    -lighter strings and/or tune down to E flat or D
    -warming up before playing
    -being careful to not overdo it and giving the joints in question rest after playing a while

Those recommendations were all based on the assumption that the aching joints are finger/hand/wrist, elbow, or shoulder. Even if there IS an underlying issue such as mild arthritis anything that eases tension and improves ergonomics helps.

Little changes can make a big difference. I had shoulder pain for a few months until I figured out it was the position of my computer mouse at work. Changed that and the pain disappeared. Likewise, my wife had a car that made my left knee hurt if I drove it on a long trip. I am sure age (53) and maybe some very mild arthritis contribute, but in both cases doctors said nothing serious and in both cases the pain went away completely after minor changes (different mouse pad location and different car). The guitar with the neck that made my hand and wrist hurt was when I was still in my 20s!
    I feel confident that a different guitar and/or strap position and/or playing routine will help regardless of any other factors.

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    But as with pickup selection - that doesn't prevent the peanut gallery from chiming in with foolish advice based on nothing about the guitar, the amp, or the style of music let alone the current rig's actual tonal issues.

Same here except you are recommending treatments for a symptom with an unknown cause. Stop that.
    Bro' I respect you and you know it and I'm not disagreeing with your suggestions but governing seems a little overdone. He was not false doc'ing. All guys responding solved pain different ways. All folks are talking about their experiences, responding to the question. OP is surely able to filter it out and apply the suitable suggestion to his own case.

By the way, I do admit that I'm an official fool, with a medical paper about the condition so being called as a fool I take as a fact, not an offense

Peace out, keep being awesome.

Tone Member

I did not take it as an offense - I took Ace's "you" as a reference to the posters in general, not speficifally me. He had no reason todirect it towards me, as I never recommended treatments - I talked about seeking professional help and taking preventive measures. I might be naive though and he did direct it towards me... If so, then... Let's wait till he confirms his intentions, shall we? Then I'll deal with him...

I've had pain from what they call gouty arthritis in my hands for quite a while. I'm making a change to much lighter gauge strings and find this really helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    Stretch and warm up.
    This and only this. Changing gear and drugs are not the answer. Always stretch and warm up before any activity involving muscles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

Ima disagree with you on that one! Changing gear should be #1, THEN worry about stretching & warming up. Your boots pinch your toes, the solution is new boots with a different shape in the toe box. Once you have boots that fit your unique feet properly you can worry about hiking.

Not a great analogy but hopefully it makes the point. The most ergonomic equipment has to come first. Otherwise you are compensating and adapting to something that causes the problem. (Maybe bike that's too big or too small is a better analogy? Wrong size bra?)

Yesterday I wore a pair of jeans that chafed the hell out of one spot on my upper right inner thigh. I don't need to toughen up my upper inner right thigh, I need to throw away those jeans!

Well I have worn cheap steel toe boots most of my life
    The steel doesnt give
    And my baby toe on both feet had a permanent crease and it mostly numb

I recently discovered a square toe version that is far more comfortable but looks like a 1960s American football kickers shoe
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Super Toneologist

Lower string gauge, shorter scale length might help. Bring the guitar up like Alex Hutching plays his. Try to develop a light touch. Check out a few guitars that have a more comfortable feeling neck.

Those are what I'd look into if the medical condition was non reversible & worsening over time, increased stress on the area can accelerate the damage further, should sort out a good medical advisor for the subject if the pain continues to get worse.