Quarter Pound Humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quarter Pound Humbucker

It had always been an idea of mine to get one of these. Initially, I didn't know whether it could be done or whether it would if it could (this was some 12 years ago.)

Well, just recently, I see that the custom shop had, indeed, made a QP humbucker - https://twitter.com/seymourduncan/st...78903314104320

I don't know if anymore have been made since and there do not seem to be any clips of it out there at all.

Does anybody know of the tone to listen to..? It may be the same as doing a Steve Vai and wiring two singles together or it may not.

Short of just going and doing it anyway, is there a way for anyone to help me find the sound of the Quarter Pound humbucker..?
    Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Re: Quarter Pound Humbucker

I had a qp strat mounted together and in series with a custom strat. It sounded good. I could still hear the characteristic sound of the qp. I have a recording of it but it's middle position.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

The Custom Shop can absolutely make one. There probably aren't clips because there are probably only a few in existence. Contact them for a quote.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

GFS has the Bigmouth series which have 1/4 poles and they sound like a humbucking version of the QP.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
          GFS has the Bigmouth series which have 1/4 poles and they sound like a humbucking version of the QP.
          Not positive but I believe the GFS uses ¼" slugs with a ceramic mag underneath, rather than alnico rods like the QP has.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I had one and boy oh boy it's just so loud. It lacks nuance, it lacks tonal structure, dynamics and a decent EQ.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
              I had one and boy oh boy it's just so loud. It lacks nuance, it lacks tonal structure, dynamics and a decent EQ.
              Is that the GFS or the Seymour Duncan? The Support office think a QP humbucker would be pretty dark which, suits me alright but, it's good to hear it before weighing out, right?

The Alnico 5 really has the correct tone according to the wind. Given that I'm recording with a more old school vibe at the moment, sort of a Gateways Morbid Angel type of tone, I find that the Nazgul/Custom 5 hybrid is working very well with the A5 than with the ceramic that the Nazgul comes with.

For the opposing guitars, the QP humbucker should work equally well, if not better. If not, underlaying the rhythms (ie N/C5 Left & Right panned 25%, QP Left & Right panned 75% as opposed to N/C5 left, QP right)

The good thing is that the magnets would be vertically installed so, any amount of strings can be had without too much bother - just longer bobbins and baseplate.

Comment

I haven’t seen a pickup that gave me GAS for quite some time.

That ended just now.

Comment

Could you just design it like a humbucker, with 1 A5 magnet, and big poles?
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                    Not positive but I believe the GFS uses ¼" slugs with a ceramic mag underneath, rather than alnico rods like the QP has.
                    Yes, A5 magnets but I have two guitars with both QP's and Bigmouths installed in them and the blend is pretty seamless. I haven't found anything else which compliments the QP nearly as well.
                    Last edited by idsnowdog; 01-15-2020, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMetalRob View Post
                      Is that the GFS or the Seymour Duncan? The Support office think a QP humbucker would be pretty dark which, suits me alright but, it's good to hear it before weighing out, right?
                      The QP with 250K pots is a bit dark and muffled. With 500K pots it's really loud, hard and bright. I suspect something like a 375K volume would be perfect. I use 500K pots and just roll back the volume a bit.

Comment

The Alnico 5 really has the correct tone according to the wind. Given that I'm recording with a more old school vibe at the moment, sort of a Gateways Morbid Angel type of tone, I find that the Nazgul/Custom 5 hybrid is working very well with the A5 than with the ceramic that the Nazgul comes with.

For the opposing guitars, the QP humbucker should work equally well, if not better. If not, underlaying the rhythms (ie N/C5 Left & Right panned 25%, QP Left & Right panned 75% as opposed to N/C5 left, QP right)

The good thing is that the magnets would be vertically installed so, any amount of strings can be had without too much bother - just longer bobbins and baseplate.
                        Tell us about the nazgul/custom A5 hybrid. What’s that like? And did you try the nazgul with an A5 alone? I’m curious about that too.

Comment

The real QP by Duncan. Humbucker. To me it was really just loud and nothing more than that. This pickup has rod magnets instead of a bar magnet. You can't compare this to a regular humbucker with a bar magnet. Totally different magnetic structures.

Comment

I play a lot with bridge QP and middle SSL-5 in series. Full on it's loud, but SSL-5 adds nice presence. It does have QP's tone. Great for metal.

I mainly play in series mode with QP tapped though. More airier tone.
                            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtomecha View Post
                              Tell us about the nazgul/custom A5 hybrid. What’s that like? And did you try the nazgul with an A5 alone? I’m curious about that too.
                              I got a Nazgul early on, wanting some of the raw distortion power that has more life than a Distortion (which, isn't a bad pickup to be clear) and to be be perfectly honest, I've been trying, as have countless others, to replicate through a passive pickup the tone of an EMG-707.

The Nazgul had the right amount of gain 'filth' (for want of a better description) but, was a little too bright. After watching the Seymour Duncan 7 string metal video with Messrs. Merrow and Hauch, the Custom 5 really jumped out at me. The setup they were using just hit the spot audibly but, having bought one, was a little short in person.

I did a mix and match of the slug coils and came out with two pickups using a ceramic and an A5 magnet each.

The results were pretty impressive, there is the right amount of darkness and light, so to speak. The tone is very similar as I recall (I sold the Nazgul/Custom) though, I would describe the ceramic tone as being chewy and the A5 being crunchy.

Through high gain and Blue Steel strings, they ceramic pretty much nailed a good Cannibal Corpse tone (Evisceration Plague, Torture albums) without the highs being too high.

The same can be said for the A5 version which, I still have but, it's a little bit drier a when tweaking the EQ works with more scoop than the ceramic. It also has a strong broad clean tone that works well with chorus and echo effects.

Using DR Black Beauties, it nails the darker tones, see Behemoth - Xiadz, Sanctification - Black Reign, Morbid Angel - Gateways To Annihilation and gives that 'I like it but, I really shouldn't' kind of feel.

As to a Nazgul A5, well, in all honesty, that never occurred to me BUT, I do have a spare Nazgul 7 and magnets aren't that expensive so...

It led me to a good basis for my own pickup - which is named but, under UK PAF so, not yet released - thinner wire, A5 magnet and reads powerfully - more details to follow.

Comment

Working...
                              X